Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended the Ride and Drive in Southern California today. Someone stated on the Forum it was for dealers only. Well, this is true. But, you just don't know me. I went to the Ride and Drive today in San Bernardino, CA., at the Orange Show Center. I parked at Gate 9, followed the signs for the Pontiac Event and went to the Registration Line. I was dressed with shirt, slacks and a tie (looking like a Pontiac Salesman). The registrar asked for my Drivers License. They couldn't find my name on the list. But I did not sweat. Even though they couldn't find my name, they added me to the bottom of the list. They made a badge for me, had me sign a release waiver for the drive and sent me to Blue Group/ #1. This event is great, I was amazed at how much more I knew about the car then the average Joe salesperson. Saw several slide presentations and had close up personal experiences with the cars. "THE SOLSTICE IS AMAZING IN PERSON". Words can't describe how awesome this car really is. It is a real head turner. On display inside the event were three solstices: Mysterious fully loaded and two Cools. I just missed out on the open course drive, but made it on time to the closed course drive session. "THE MOMENT OF TRUTH". After the inside event presentations, it was time for me to drive. I couldn't believe I pulled off getting into this event and getting a badge to drive! I drove a Sly Gray Solstice on the closed cone course. "THE CAR IS MORE THAN I EXPECTED!" This car sticks to the ground better than my previously owned Porsche Boxster. It handles as good as the Lotus Elise. I am too impressed with this car. Pontiac could have easily put a $30,000 tag on this one. During the closed course session, I also test drove the Honda S2000 (rough drive) and a 2005 MX-5 Miata (felt cheap). These are my personal experiences, you'll only know for yourself on a test drive. I did take video shots, I'll post through "putfile" within the next few days. If you live in Southern California, the Event is a three day event at 689 E. St. San Bernardino, CA. (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). Even if you can't get in. You can view the cars from the street. Total Solstices on Site, about 15!

·
4,592 Posts
You're killing me :lol:
If I had read these drive reviews on handling last year, I would have known for sure I wanted a Solstice, and likely given it a shot at an EOP. Why God, Why??? Time for one of my MSMs to go up for sale :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
:yesnod: Outstanding! I am glad you were able to attend and it worked out so well. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. :willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehe, ntouched that's just awesome. I don't support the act of members impersonating Pontiac dealers, but good job. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...awesome

ntouched said:
I attended the Ride and Drive in Southern California today. You can view the cars from the street. Total Solstices on Site, about 15!
Good job! I am in Berdoo. Not as ballsy as you are, but I will def drive by today and see if I can spot from the street.

I nominate you for president of the soon-to-be-formed Inland Empire Solstice Club.
:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I parked at Gate 9, followed the signs for the Pontiac Event and went to the Registration Line. I was dressed with shirt, slacks and a tie (looking like a Pontiac Salesman). The registrar asked for my Drivers License. They couldn't find my name on the list. But I did not sweat. Even though they couldn't find my name, they added me to the bottom of the list. They made a badge for me, had me sign a release waiver for the drive and sent me to Blue Group/ #1.

Great Job, sounds as if you did nothing wrong here, you just let them assume you were someone you were not. May give that a try out in Mesa next week when they have the show here.

·
2,574 Posts
ride and drives

Several people here have "attended" ride and drives and if you don't want to impersonate it's clear that the key to access here is answering their question correctly. Several staff members both GM and contracted people consistantly asked the same questions when they learned that you were not in the ride and drive program. "Have you ordered one?" ( I heard them ask others also)As soon as you say yes they immediately open up to you. "Want a ride?" See that fellow in the shorts, ask him." Another "Have you been out yet? I said yes that I had been on the closed course (slolom)" cause I had. He then said he'd get me in one for the outside course, "What color did I want". Ended up joyriding in a red one for 45 minutes with a guy named Matt. Someone else gave me a Solstice hat ("just keep it low and put it in your car") he said. Very very friendly and the same folks are doing most of these. Another staffer is a member here, name is Scott. Only thing that probably won't happen is getting to drive one but what a time otherwise. The staff chiquitas are cool also, very friendly. Pretty clear that the staff have been told to play nice and to their credit (thanks Scott) they do. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there any way to find out when and where the ride & drives are being held at? I saw the cars at the Portland Media Event, but have really been wanting to get another chance. Any info/comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...got to see some

went by earlier and watched them on the course thru a fence until security politely chased me away. actually they suggested I go to the gate 9 office and inquire, but didn't really have the time. what I did see was great tho. I was close to the course stop sign on the north end. i watched sols, minis, s2000s all stop and then peel out while making a quick left curve. the sound of the sol dominated all of them. i was surprised at how puny sounding the s2000 was. i know its a nice car, but could use some fx on the muffler.

can't wait for mine!
:cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
:brentil: :cryin: :( I sure am upset that I am out of town and unable to attend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Absolutely CORRECT!

["THE SOLSTICE IS AMAZING IN PERSON". Words can't describe how awesome this car really is. It is a real head turner.

Ok. My wife thinks that I am nuts. A bit of history, much like many of other Solstice Forum members, I first saw the car as a prototype. I wrote Bob Lutz imploring him to produce the car. I then, on another chilly day in Detroit, saw the first "production model". I then pestered a dealer for information about ordering. Finally, I was able to put down a deposit on a car -- price and features TBD. Then came the anxious moments, getting on the web after the Apprentice followed by minute by minute tracking of the dealer input the next day. Then.....Detroit August 5th.......what a wonderful car. Everything under the hood, in the cockpit, in the rear (trunk?), the outside of the beautiful shape looked perfect. Top went up and down easily. Even my wife loved the comfortable seats. The sound of the exhaust was perfect. The drive -- although short, showed a car with accurate steering, clear gear to gear engagement, good brakes, comfortable pedal placement.....The drive train engineer explained the development of the engine and transmission. The director for Pontiac shared his family's excitement with his prototype car...the 14 year old (dad's passenger) was amazed at the flat cornering at somewhat aggressive speed. DO YOU THINK THAT I AM EXCITED....YOU BET. Someday, they will release the car that they have built for me....the wait is a bit of a strain...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts