Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

can anyone please tell me the possibility of importing a right hand drive solstice to england and possibly how much it would all cost?

no dealer markup's please.

thanks

solstice_uk

·
Premium Member
10,407 Posts
solstice_uk said:
hi

can anyone please tell me the possibility of importing a right hand drive solstice to england and possibly how much it would all cost?

no dealer markup's please.

thanks

solstice_uk
Hello Solstice_uk,
The only possibility of that would be with the Opel offering when that product starts to ship.
To my knowledge there is NOT a right hand SOL/SKY been produce since those cars are for the USA.

·
Premium Member
10,407 Posts
mceb said:
I think even the Opel was left-hand drive too (is most of mainland Europe left-hand drive?).
Maybe T.henns from Germany could tells us about that.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
And you run up against the pedestrian impact rules in Europe which I presume also afect the UK and which prohibit sales of Solstice in EU. Don't take offense anyone but I always thought there was an excess of legal talent in the good old US of A, but maybe they all moved to Europe to moonlight. Just because the cities can't keep pedestrians out of the middle of the road where the cars belong.....

And even if you could import a car why couldn't you use a lhd? Here we never had a restriction on rhd cars driven in the right lane. In fact Subaru markets rhd here to rural postal carriers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spent nearly a year in England and fell in love with the Vauxhall VX220 which is a rebadged Opel Speedster. Maybe the new Opel Kapa car will be rebadged again for Vauxhall.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
achieftain said:
And you run up against the pedestrian impact rules in Europe which I presume also afect the UK and which prohibit sales of Solstice in EU.
Actually I read somewhere we are exempt because Solstice is out to market prior to the law taking effect (guess 2006 or 2007?). This includes any other car born out of Solstice (Sky, Opel). Think the right-hand drive is the issue for UK.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Still, it would be nice if all American auto makers made right hand drive versions to sell overseas. How many people here would buy from an overseas company that only imported right hand drive vehicles to us here?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Solstice is out for Europe. I believe the reason the Opel is supposed to follow the Sky styling is because of the Euro pedestrian impact standards. I know I am basically disagreeing with mceb, and he may very well be right too! I'll have to do a little research and see if I can come up with a definitive answer.

Either way, I have not seen any rumors of a Vauxhaul version of the car, which would go to England. Just the Opel. Not sure if that is a bad sign or not.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Pretty cool site called findarticles.com I thought I remembered they planned an "end around" the law somehow but looks like you are right Ff88, Solstice isn't exempt. From reading stuff below not even sure how they'll sell the Opel in Europe without changing the front end?

From June 2004, Ward's AutoWorld:
More significantly, company executives told Ward's earlier this year the 2005 legislation killed GM's plan to offer a version of its '06 Pontiac Solstice in Europe.

"Sadly, we were not able to get (Solstice) in on time under the 2005 pedestrian protection legislation in Europe, which is just going to radically change the look of automobiles in Europe, post-2005. The next generation of European cars is going to look different," says Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman-product development.
From Feb 2005, Ward's AutoWorld:
The Saturn Sky "most probably will be re-exported to Europe as an Opel/Vauxhall within the next two years," he says in an interview.

GM showed the Vauxhall Lightning concept roadster with other Kappa-platform cars (including a different Saturn concept called the Curve and the upcoming '06 Pontiac Solstice) at last year's Detroit auto show. But the auto maker later said it would not be able to sell the car in Europe because it would not meet 2005 pedestrian-impact requirements there.

Saturn subsequently co-opted the Lightning styling for the Sky, and GM insiders now say the auto maker is looking for ways to satisfy regional safety standards in order to sell the car through its European brands.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Maybe that is why we have never seen a finalized Opel yet. Could they still be finalizing the design to meet those pedestrian impact laws?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
Still, it would be nice if all American auto makers made right hand drive versions to sell overseas. How many people here would buy from an overseas company that only imported right hand drive vehicles to us here?
Bring in a new MG-ZT or new TF and I don't care if teh steering wheel is in the back seat. And I actually don't even care if it were Ford or Hyundai under the hood. Just bring me back my MG's.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
For the past 50 years or so all so we in North America have lusted after all sorts of European cars that were not available here for various reasons: headlights, safety, emissions.

Finally we have such a vehicle! Solstice rocks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all!

You called me and here I am! ;)

GB is Europes only country "driving on the left". There's this small enclave of Gibraltar that is in fact british and I'm not sure on which side one drives there. I don't think they'll sell many roadsters to Gibraltar. Too many apes! ;)

I'm sorry but I have no bulletproof information regarding the Vauxhall kappa. I can only speculate.

Opel AND Vauxhall both have a long tradition as car manufacturers. Both are members of GM since a long time. But recently there have been frictions between them and GM. Some europeans fear their traditional brands have no longer any influence on GM's policy.
Opel for example had big quality problems during the last decade and many people here think that GM's monetary policy is the main reason for those problems.

I don't think that the answer is that easy. But there have definetely been some wrong decisions coming from "above".

If you ask me it would be more than a provocation if GM wouldn't build a Vauxhall kappa. The design of the Sky is VERY similar to the VX Lightning concept of Vauxhall.

On the other hand, Opel will sure be the first european GM brand to receive the kappa roadster. From the pictures we've seen, it will be a slightly modified Sky.

I think GM will give Opel and Vauxhall engineers the task to modifiy the car for Europe. As to the fact that Opel has a larger manpower available, they'll probably care about the pedestrian protection (modified front compared to the Sky?), lights (new front and rear modules) and engine (less hp due to "EURO5" emission limits, ~5%). Vauxhall engineers might concentrate on "mirroring" the car for the right hand drive version.

This is all speculation. There are even rumors that the Opel won't be available before 2007. I don't see a reason for GM to do so, especially having the new Miata release in mind.
There are also rumors that VW is going to build a roadster in 2007. So it would be wise for GM to try to bring the european roadsters (Opel AND Vauxhall) as fast as possible.

On the other hand they'd celebrate such a car long before they'd actually sell it (like Saturn and Pontiac do). If the car would come 2006 then the IAA in september would be the best oportunity to present the car to the european public. There have been rumors about an Opel roadster at the IAA, but nothing more.

I think GM will decide last minute whether to show the car in september or not. If they do it will be a big surprise. And if they don't, I won't expect any Opel or Vauxhall roadster before 2007 :( .

For everyone who's interested: I've written an eMail to Opel Germany. I asked whether the car will be at the IAA (and whether they'd send me some material about the Solstice ;) ).
NO ANSWER. Not even a "Sorry we are not able to...". Very suspicious because those PR people normally have orders to answer to ALL mails. I'll keep you informed.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
t.henns, did you sign up for Opel's offer to spend two or three days with a car that was recently on their web site?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now I'm impressed!

No, I didn't take a ride. I like the new Opel Astra 2.0L GTC that is going to fight back the success of the actual VW Golf GTI (10% of all Golf are GTI; they never were that successful before).

I also like the Opel Speedster (that is a real mean little race car!).

Then there's the new Opel Tigra Twin-Top. I like the roof mechanism but that's it.

But it is normally no problem to get a car for the weekend even without Opel having this big promotion running. You know, it is not that people rush to the Opel dealers :( .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts