Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was attracted to the wood look conversions made available by Trimstop in Canada (TrimStop.com - Wood Dash Kits, Dash Trim Kits, Molded Dash Kits and more...) They basically take orders for B&I, a firm just across the border from Mexico in San Diego (Wood Dash Kits, Molded Dash Kits, Wood Steering Wheels, Chrome Rocker Panels and more by B&I)

You have the choice of sending them your steering wheel to be reworked (and being unable to use your car for a couple of weeks) or paying a refundable core charge, in which case they send you the wheel and you have a certain period of time to return your wheel. The core charge is, IIRC, $150.00

I decided to buy a wheel, and ordered it. The wheel came, but unfortunately it was an incorrect part - they had supplied a wheel for a Cobalt or HHR, and there is a significant difference although they look superficially similar. The 3 bolt mounting for the air bag module is completely different on the Solstice wheels. Unfortunately I only discovered this after paying my shop to remove the original wheel and try to fit the new one. The original one went back on and the wrong part supplied was shipped back to the company, along with a core wheel that I bought on Ebay, for a base model Solstice. They went back in the same box and both companies were advised of that fact.

The reworked base model wheel came back to me after a few weeks and the quality of workmanship was quite good. Unfortunately they neglected to refund my core charge.

I emailed and phoned both companies, eventually connecting with B&I, and told them what they had done. After that contact I was unable to get hold of either company to respond to my queries as to why they refused to refund my core charge, give that I had supplied the core in advance.

So they have ripped me off for $150 and haven't had the courtesy to respond to my calls and emails to tell me why. On that basis I have to classify them as companies with dubious ethics and recommend that you not deal with them. Which is a shame as I have no issue with the quality of their work.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Not sure why these folks do this knowing the Internet exists today. They know they will get hammered. Are you going with a dash kit as well? Some I have seen look quite nice.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This is not good. I've dealt with 4 companies from this forum....1 horrible, and will never recommend, 1 so-so, and 2 awesome companies.... The awesome are Windrestrictor and DDM....both are high quality, awesome companies. Won't say who the so-so one was, but there's been mixed reviews on here about them too. Not even going to state the name of the horrible one as there are people here that think they're great.... An honorable mention for just being rude was another one I dealt with 3 years ago to try and get information to see if they had tuned my car and he was rude and obnoxious; just a horrible individual to deal with....and wouldn't recommend them either.....

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Thanks for the headsup. I take it you didn't pay w/a credit card?

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not going to use a dash kit - although some seem to be of very decent quality, the possibility of separation of the overlay eventually just turns me off - memories of MacTac mods I've seen in the past.

Not sure what is with these guys - the one in Ontario was pretty responsive when they sent me the wrong wheel and I had to get that sorted out, but not a peep out of him in response to my later emails - shut the doors? Gone on a long vacation? Doesn't give a shzt? (I'm thinking #3)

Anyone wanting a Kappa wheel would NEED a dialogue with them tp get over the unresolved incorrect listing and inevitable receipt of the wrong wheel, and having to go through what I had to.

I paid via Paypal and can try and get some relief that way. Not holding my breath....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since you paid via Paypal I think you have a good chance of getting satisfaction. When the company gets a "charge back" it should get their attention.
Good luck Bill.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trimstop never disputed the Paypal dispute, so I was refunded $198.51 USD = $267.19 CAD representing the unrefunded core charge plus the cost of one unnecessary re and re of the wheel due to their sending the wrong wheel.

Although they were quite communicative during the process, they suddenly stopped after I started emailing about my refund - no idea why. Maybe someone else should email them and ask about getting a Kappa wheel and see if they get a response.

Maybe they have shut down, which would be a shame as the product is very good. I'm not aware of any place else that does this specific sort of steering wheel refinishing.

Anyway, a merry Christmas to me (dispute resolved Dec. 25) and a good new year to the rest of you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts