Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have to ask. This has been bothering me since I seen it. A particular vendor rivets their name on IC piping after it’s painted. Wouldn’t this leak air? Should I be concerned? I know if I go from boosting 22psi to anything less then 21psi, they will be getting these pipes back! I was told there would be no issue, but it's an opening that shouldn't be there! Maybe someone can chime in that has these.....

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would not like that!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will post pics when I get home....

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
If it's a blind rivet that's properly sealed there shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In cal it would not pass smog.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
ANYTHING aftermarket in CA won't pass smog afaik.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Test the tubes before you put them on the car if you aren't sure if there's an issue. Replace the rad in this video with your tubes, pressurize them and dunk them.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the best pic I have....

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Those could very well be blind rivets. Testing it is really the only way to know if leaks are an issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
test them out..... we have been doing pipes like that for a long time and have not had an issue. we use the proper size drill bit and the rivits seal up tight. we have cars making 25psi and no issues with it like that. My old car I had the intake manifold with a riveted logo...... as a daily I ran it to 26psi.... on the dyno a few times ive had it to 32-34psi and never had one blow apart or leak.

if you want to send them back email [email protected] and we will take care of the pipe with the rivits.

heres your pic of proof and the dyno sheet of a tune I drove daily for over 30k until the car got hit by a semi.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I doubt they will leak enough to worry about or to cause a code, but it sure is ugly. Unless you like it there, pull the pipe, drill the rivets and remove the tag and stick a couple of new rivets in there, perhaps with some sealer on them, or just get them welded up and polish again. I doubt they'd be blind, the tubing just isn't that thick.

I generally hate manufacturers tags on my stuff - refused to accept my Solstice until they removed the dealer tag they snuck onto the rear of the car. Some people love it though. All my tags, stick-ons, labels etc. are on the lid of my tool box, not on my cars.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree with wspohn!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Pop Rivets huh. that means there's a decent pencil eraser sized nubs on the back. I'd be afraid they would collect a buildup of carbon on them then finally free and lodge into the intake. as far as limiting the flow, yeah, that too, but probably barely a half of a %. looks good though.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Pop Rivets huh. that means there's a decent pencil eraser sized nubs on the back. I'd be afraid they would collect a buildup of carbon on them then finally free and lodge into the intake. as far as limiting the flow, yeah, that too, but probably barely a half of a %. looks good though.
These are in the air intake stream, no carbon to build up :)

Still I agree with wspohn, pretty ugly looking plate. I'd follow up on their offer to replace with plain ones (at least I think that's what they offered).

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't mind a manufacturers name on anything. I just don't like the possibility of it creating issues either now or in the future. I'm more concerned that eventually they will fall off into the IC piping and harm the motor. Or there would be a major air leak eventually if not already.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.