Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orginal owner installed a RKSport rear spoiler on what is now, my Solsitce. I have a question about how it mounts. This is a bit hard for me to explain, so work with me.

Looks like he drilled two holes in the trunk frame on each side, to be able to bolt the spoiler to two more holes he drilled on each side of the trunk skin, or outter sheet metal. Spoiler is bolted directly to the trunk, with no padding, gaskets, etc. When I put any pressure at all on the spoiler, it rocks, and flexes the sheet metal of the trunk. I'm sure it is not going to fall off going down the road, but, I'm concerned about the metal flexing over time. I'm sure it flexes running down the highway, since it takes very little pressure on the spoiler to do so. So, is that how this spoiler mounts? Am I missing something? Is the trunk going to crack from the stress? Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks
Mack

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
It should not flex. I installed an after market spoiler on my car and all four mounting studs go through the structure below the skin. The skin is not designed to take significant loads. The structure under the skin is. We're it my car I would look for a way to transfer the loads to the structure such that the spoiler does not move separate from the structure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Picked up four bolts 2 1/2 long, four shock bushing washers, some blue lock tight. Bushing washers were large enough to cover the large holes in the trunk frame, so the spoiler is solid to the frame. Was wondering if I should have tried to come up with something to fill the gap between the trunk frame and skin, but everything seemed to tighten up fine.

Good enough, or should I really try to fill that space between the two?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Personally I would want the skin to lay at the correct separation from the structure while passing the loads through to the structure. So filling in the space would be something I would choose to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts