Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well from a person who never worked on a car before, I think it didn't come out to bad. A few around need improvement but its not dramatic. So tell me what you guys think?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't normally volunteer my thoughts on someone else's car because everyone has a different idea as to what looks good. What matters is that you like it but you did ask.

I'm not crazy about the black on the front of the car. Is the hood carbon fiber? If it were me, and it's not, I would have everything yellow except for the CF spoiler.

You do what you want with the car man. If we all liked the same thing there would be one car company, we would all be driving the same car and they'd all be the same color.

It'd be hell in the mall parking lot!!!

Love your individuality but it's not for me. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm not crazy about the black on the front of the car. Is the hood carbon fiber? If it were me, and it's not, I would have everything yellow except for the CF spoiler.
It is the VIS CF hood but he mentioned it needs some additional 'finishing' to get it to fit perfectly. I do hope that paint is on books for the front end once finished.

OP, nice job on the install. Getting the bolts in is usually pretty simple - it's that alignment that's always hard... especially with aftermarket parts since there's SO much time invested in the finishing.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I forgot to add that I thought everything looked good together and yeah you did a great job on the install. It really is tougher than it looks especially for someone that hasn't done it before. Good for you and I'm sure it'll look sharp when you're done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't normally volunteer my thoughts on someone else's car because everyone has a different idea as to what looks good. What matters is that you like it but you did ask.

You do what you want with the car man. If we all liked the same thing there would be one car company, we would all be driving the same car and they'd all be the same color.

It'd be hell in the mall parking lot!!!

Love your individuality but it's not for me. Cheers!
Hey thanks. The bumper comes black like that one would have to paint it. The hood is carbon fiber but I'm leaving that naked. The bumper will be painted yellow with the bottom lip black skirts will remain painted black.

I do understand its not everyone cup of tea, but man oh man u should have seen people today even with the car not done they was going bananas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the VIS CF hood but he mentioned it needs some additional 'finishing' to get it to fit perfectly. I do hope that paint is on books for the front end once finished.

OP, nice job on the install. Getting the bolts in is usually pretty simple - it's that alignment that's always hard... especially with aftermarket parts since there's SO much time invested in the finishing.
Thanks, and yes getting it to line up just right is a (beep) but i really like the profile of the car.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Looks like it is coming a long. If you want to leave the front end all black. I would say paint your fenders black and that part of the side skirt and then paint the rest of the skirt in yellow. It would be bringing it back about 5 years when every one was rocking all black front ends.

As it sits right now. It either needs to get painted all yellow or do the above.
Thats my 2cents :thumbs:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add that I thought everything looked good together and yeah you did a great job on the install. It really is tougher than it looks especially for someone that hasn't done it before. Good for you and I'm sure it'll look sharp when you're done.

It took some sweat, some curse words, and some tlc but to me (IMOP) it came out nice. Is it perfect? By all means no! But a little bit of tweaks here and there and old yella will be just fine. And yes everything will be factory yellow, although i would like to keep at least some black in it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it is coming a long. If you want to leave the front end all black. I would say paint your fenders black and that part of the side skirt and then paint the rest of the skirt in yellow. It would be bringing it back about 5 years when every one was rocking all black front ends.

As it sits right now. It either needs to get painted all yellow or do the above.

Hey that's not a bad idea black fenders line up with the skirts black then the rest yellow. I'm definitely going to look into that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Also I don't really want the bumper to be all black, just want the bottom lip of it black and black skirts and mud flaps to give it that all around the bottom black.:devil:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'm w/SB, usually don't comment unless asked. So here goes, I'd color match the side ground effects, top of the side fendors, and front fascia. Leave the top of the top of the hood nakkid to shows it CF, and go with GXP black headlamps. Windshield surround could go two different ways, color match it or or go black to match top of hood. Basically focus on using two colors so the eye flows over it and compliments the overall lines of the car.

Also, you sure rear wheel backspacing is correct? Because from the vid they come across as sticking out too far giving it a roller skate look.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm w/SB, usually don't comment unless asked. So here goes, I'd color match the side ground effects, top of the side fendors, and front fascia. Leave the top of the top of the hood nakkid to shows it CF, and go with GXP black headlamps. Windshield surround could go two different ways, color match it or or go black to match top of hood. Basically focus on using two colors so the eye flows over it and compliments the overall lines of the car.

Also, you sure rear wheel backspacing is correct? Because from the vid they come across as sticking out too far giving it a roller skate look.
Totally agree with your paint scheme...the sides of the car would be fluid from front to back and the carbon fiber hood would be a very dominant and pleasant effect from front or overhead only. The way it is now is patchwork and breaks the fluid lines of this beautiful car..but to each it's own.

I think I would go black or carbon fiber look cover up on the windshield surround...that way the black would flow from hood thru windshield surround then top...maybe keep the spoiler black as well, but all of the side from front to back yellow. Maybe the top of the door mirrors black as well but only where they extend above the top door line into the window area. That would flow with the dual color scheme as well.

And a "nude" carbon fiber trunk lid would work with this scheme as well.

Oh and if you want a "smaller" Pontiac arrow badge for the front of your car....how 'bout just using the one that is normally used for the side fender?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Totally agree with your paint scheme...the sides of the car would be fluid from front to back and the carbon fiber hood would be a very dominant and pleasant effect from front or overhead only. The way it is now is patchwork and breaks the fluid lines of this beautiful car..but to each it's own.

I think I would go black or carbon fiber look cover up on the windshield surround...that way the black would flow from hood thru windshield surround then top...maybe keep the spoiler black as well, but all of the side from front to back yellow. Maybe the top of the door mirrors black as well but only where they extend above the top door line into the window area. That would flow with the dual color scheme as well.

And a "nude" carbon fiber trunk lid would work with this scheme as well.

Oh and if you want a "smaller" Pontiac arrow badge for the front of your car....how 'bout just using the one that is normally used for the side fender?

Yep same thing I was thinking for the badge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I definitely don't know if the rim size is correct (staggered 20“) but i think the off set is too much. But the pillar does need to be either black or yellow, these are all quite good ideas. Not that you guys are not giving me good ideas, your going to be surprised of the out come.
;)

Thanks.

EDIT: Hows this for a idea. If i paint the pillar black, paint skirts black, paint fenders black, paint bumper yellow with bottom lip black, and paint rear bumper black? Also in another thread someone said they have a rear trunk in carbon fiber that they was selling. I also would like the inside housing of the front lamps black that would be nice.

Photoshop anyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gonna suggest bringing the black along the whole car at the bottom hood line, giving you a top and bottom two tone. Or paint the hood yellow up to where it creases, leaving the top of the hood carbon fiber....then maybe you can look into the CF decklid mentioned before. I think either of those would bring the yellow and CF together better. My buddies got a silver EVO with just the CF hood and it bothers me everytime I see it~

As everyone said, do your thing. I like what you're doing, good stuff!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonna suggest bringing the black along the whole car at the bottom hood line, giving you a top and bottom two tone. Or paint the hood yellow up to where it creases, leaving the top of the hood carbon fiber....then maybe you can look into the CF decklid mentioned before. I think either of those would bring the yellow and CF together better. My buddies got a silver EVO with just the CF hood and it bothers me everytime I see it~

As everyone said, do your thing. I like what you're doing, good stuff!
This is exactly how I want it to look. Front bumper yellow with lip black keep skirts black carbon fiber decklid would be the icing. But I want the floe on the bottom black. :agree:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Not a artist (well maybe frustrated), but always thought one of the main criteria of a good design was for it to be fluid (read; not choppy). Because the eye has a natural tendency to want to flow over an entire design. If a combination (or something intentionally) interrupts the eye than it inhibits the appreciation of the overall design.

Having said that, the bottom line is it is your car, if you like it go for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts