Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I wanted to say welcome to a new year as we enter 2013.
I wanted to touch base with you concerning the weekend / overnight events in our calendar for this year so you can start planning ahead for those that you wish to attend. Also, our big trip for the year is attending the National Solstice and Sky Meet in June at Flagstaff Arizona.
Feel free to share any questions you may have. As usual I plan on sending out detailed coordinating information prior to each event with specific times and locations. The enclosed listing is to allow you to identify those events that you wish to share with the club so you can schedule them and get reservations.
1) April Action Moab Weekend April 26,27,28 POC Rob Coach
Our first overnight / weekend event is scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 26th, 27th and 28th. This is the annual April Action Car Show in Moab Utah. We have been attending this car show for the past several years and it is always a fun time. The small town fills up with car nuts from all over the western states for a party time with lots of interesting and cool cars, cruising and good times. We have been staying at the Sleep Inn and find it to be a pretty good accommodation. Early reservations are recommended because the town fills up for this event.

Events and attractions: Car show, Dead Horse Point, Arches National Park.
April Action Car Show Moab, Utah - April 26,27,28, 2013 | Beautiful vehicles set in a breath-taking location.
Dead Horse Point State Park | Utah.com
Arches National Park - Arches National Park
Arches National Park
Hotel:
Sleep Inn Hotel
1051 S. Main Street
Moab, UT, US, 84532
Phone: (435) 259-4655
Moab Utah hotels, Sleep Inn hotel near Arches National Park, Moab UT 84532

2) May Grand Junction Weekend May 24, 25, 26, 27 POC Rob Coach
We have been to Grand Junction for a weekend for the past three years and really enjoyed ourselves. There are car museums, great curvy roads to drive and good friends. The wine country beacons some and it is very close to town. The plan this year is to revisit Gateway car museum, do some shopping and people watching down town and take a few local cruises to some of the more beautiful sights.
Events and attractions:
Gateway Resort and Automobile Museum
Colorado Resorts | Gateway Canyons Resort CO
Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National Monument Home Page - Colorado National Monument

Colorado Wine Country
Grand Junction: Colorado's Wine Country | Grand Junction, CO

Grand Junction Hotel
Clarion Inn
755 Horizon Drive, Grand Junction, CO, US, 81506
Phone: (970) 243-6790
Fax: (970) 254-3130
Grand Junction Colorado hotels, Clarion Inn hotel at I-70 and Grand Junction Airport, hotels Grand Junction CO

3) Nationals Flagstaff Arizona June 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 POC Rob Coach
The Solstice and Sky Nationals are in Flagstaff Arizona in mid-June this year. The plan is to travel Saturday to Grand Junction, spend the afternoon and evening visiting and relaxing, driving on to Flagstaff on Sunday. We can spend the day Monday relaxing, doing maintenance and seeing the local sights. Then Tuesday through Friday are spent doing local cruises, taking advantage of the great deals on upgrades offered by attending venders and socializing with a couple of hundred other Solstice and Sky owners. Cruises planned include: Sedona, the Painted Desert, the Grand Canyon and plenty of shopping.
There is an “official” event hotel, The Radisson that is $115 a night. There are a couple of hotels that are within 5 minutes of that hotel that are half the price. I am seriously considering staying at the Day’s Inn which is $78 per night. I am looking for feedback from people on which hotel they would prefer to stay at so we can all make our reservations soon. Please let us know your preference soonest!

Tentative plan
Saturday 15 June: Travel to Moab – overnight at the Sleep Inn in Moab
Sunday 16 June: Travel to Flagstaff
Monday 17 June: get some rest, see the local sites of Flagstaff, do some shopping and relaxing.
Tuesday 18 June: Group breakfast, day cruise, group dinner.
Wednesday 19 June: Loop Cruise Sedona, Winslow, Flagstaff
This includes Sedona
The Sedona Red Rocks Scenic Byway
http://www.redrockscenicbyway.com/redrock_map_lg.pdf
Winslow shopping and viewing
Meteor crater Meteor Crater
Thursday 20 June: Sign in for Event, meet the venders, view cars, and socialize. Optional cruise to Painted Desert.
Friday 21 June: Grand Canyon Cruise. Friday night car show light show
Saturday: Car show and depart for home
Sunday: arrive in Denver
Flagstaff Video
Days Inn Hotel
Days Inn Flagstaff I-40 | Flagstaff, AZ  86001 Hotel
Stay 3, Save 20 Percent - from 77.59 USD
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge University, a Flagstaff, AZ hotel near NAU

Max Room Occupancy2 persons $6375 USD

4) South Dakota Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument July 19, 20, 21 POC John Eiler

For a change, stay in Sturgis Friday and Saturday night; drive the Needles highway, visit Mt. Rushmore and Crazy horse monuments. Shopping and socializing in Sturgis.
Events and Attractions:
Travel the Needles Highway
Needles Highway, Peter Norbeck Scenic Highway, South Dakota's Black Hills

Visit Mt. Rushmore
Mount Rushmore National Memorial - Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Visit Crazy Horse Memorial
Crazy Horse Memorial

Hotel:
Stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Sturgis
2721 Lazelle St. just off of I-90
877-793-7979
Come stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Sturgis

5) Estes Park August 9, 10, 11 POC Rob Coach
Weekend trip to Estes Park to allow shopping the main street for the first time and take a trip over RMNP highway for some quick photos.
Events:
Shopping down town
Estes Park Colorado shopping-gifts-collectibles-apparel and more

Rocky Mountain National Park for pictures
Rocky Mountain National Park - Rocky Mountain National Park

Hotel:
Rodeway Inn (CO211)
1701 North Lake Ave, Estes Park, CO, US, 80517 Phone: (970) 586-5363

6) Albuquerque – Santé Fe September 18, 19, 29, 21, 22 POC Tony Rael
We have planned several cruises for the local area, including a day trip to Santé Fe for shopping and fun, a day trip to Los Alamos National Lab and the Museum there. We will also be visiting Tony and Sandra who have been great hosts in our previous trips to the area. We enjoyed staying at the Fairfield Inn on our last trip. It is $89 / $99 a night with free breakfast.
Events:
Take the Turquoise Trail scenic route to Santé Fe for a day of shopping
Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway (New Mexico) - The Perfect Day Trip between Santa Fe and Albuquerque

Los Alamos History Museum
Los Alamos Historical Museum

The Bradbury Science Museum – the road to / from Los Alamos is a great day cruise in and of itself.
Bradbury Science Museum
About the Museum
Hotel
Fairfield Inn Albuquerque University Area
1760 Menaul Boulevard NE • Albuquerque, New Mexico87102USA
Hotels Near University of New Mexico | Fairfield Inn University Area

·
Registered
564 Posts
Soooo are these "for sure" events? I've been kind of looking around and South Dakota would be the closest to where we are. Still would have to take Thursday,Friday and Monday off, flagstaff, and any other event that I found is out of the question this year.I'm not saying that we are 100% in but if it is a for sure event we could start planning, if of course that is ok with this chapter!!

Bert

·
Super Moderator
16,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have reservations at the hotel. Not sure yet has many are going but I am planning on going.

I will send out a notice a couple of weeks prior to the event. Send me your email address and I will include you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts