Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Solsitce is a Road & Track 2006 Car of the Year Finalist. You can vote for your favorite, and although it's up against some tough competition, I think it has a good chance of winning.

You can Vote Here: Link

And, here's the list of competitors:
The Best Car 2006 Finalists
Audi A3
BMW 330i
BMW M5
Cadillac STS-V
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Charger R/T
Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe
Infiniti M45
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mercedes-Benz CLS500
Pontiac Solstice
Porsche Cayman S
I'm definitely going to vote for the Solstice, but for me a close 2nd is the 2006 BMW M5.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for the link. Just voted with the comment:
Other than the Miata, the Solstice is the only Fantasy Car with a Reality Price. But it looks so much better than the Miata. And to come from GM means the Sleeping Giant may have finally woken up!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks Vegas, good find :thumbs:

Mine was a beautiful great handling American roadster for $20,000. I must be dreaming.

·
Registered
119 Posts
"Other than the Miata, the Solstice is the only Fantasy Car with a Reality Price. But it looks so much better than the Miata."

IMHO, they got that right. The Miata looks too much like a lozenged-shaped big mouth bass.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
One choice answers make me :brentil:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Cooler King said:
"Other than the Miata, the Solstice is the only Fantasy Car with a Reality Price. But it looks so much better than the Miata."

IMHO, they got that right. The Miata looks too much like a lozenged-shaped big mouth bass.

Sorry dreamer dave but the Miata is less like a fantasy and more like watching the lawrence welk show....boring! :yawn:

·
Registered
535 Posts
TerpFan said:
Wow, having to choose whether the new Corvette Z06 or Porsche Cayman S is better than a $20K Pontiac Solstice is really not fair.
It is all in how you look at it...the decision shouldn't be based on price, horsepower, or name but on over all appeal. I also think you have to take into account innovation in design. The Solstice wins hands down.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
It is all in how you look at it...the decision shouldn't be based on price, horsepower, or name but on over all appeal. I also think you have to take into account innovation in design. The Solstice wins hands down.
Agree, it's easy to make world class sports car at 80k, at 20k it's a different ballgame.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey, top dollar power cars have not been the rule in car of the year awards. It is usually the most popular, sought after car that gets the distinction!

·
2,574 Posts
Given the fact that the outcome is voter based I think winning will be an uphill battle for the Solstice given that most of the competition are known entities and have a built in voter constituency which will be difficult to overcome for a relatively unknown upstart like our baby. I can easily see Miata out polling it in a venue like this (excuses, excuses). JMO Hoping to be proven wrong. Vote often.

·
Registered
535 Posts
birdliver said:
Given the fact that the outcome is voter based I think winning will be an uphill battle for the Solstice given that most of the competition are known entities and have a built in voter constituency which will be difficult to overcome for a relatively unknown upstart like our baby. I can easily see Miata out polling it in a venue like this (excuses, excuses). JMO Hoping to be proven wrong. Vote often.
That leaves you having to explain the Chrysler 300. First year out....awards everywhere. Why? Mass appeal Where were Mercedes, jaguar, bmw?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I think the Solstice is the only vote-option on that list that Road & Track hasn't written a full article for. That's not exactly fair.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
birdliver said:
Given the fact that the outcome is voter based I think winning will be an uphill battle for the Solstice given that most of the competition are known entities and have a built in voter constituency which will be difficult to overcome for a relatively unknown upstart like our baby.
Yep ... that's true. Could one of the mods possibly add "Vote for your car" to the end of the thread topic so people notice its something they can participate in? That way, we can help flex our SolsticeForum muscle. I almost passed over the thread thinking it was just another mag article that I really didn't feel like taking the time to read.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My comments:

"The Solstice is truly the dawn of a new classic for Pontiac. In the future, this car will be used to mark the turning point in quality for American carmakers."

...or something like that.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I aways love "Vote for your favorite" contests where 99.99% of the voters have never driven one or any of the cars on the list.

But it does get you on their mailing list...and whoever else they want to sell your name and mailing address to.

·
Registered
528 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
Hmmm, horsepower, price, design, and overall appeal. Please visit your local car dealers and test drive some the cars on the list and tell me which one you would like to own. If you come away feeling the Solstice gets your vote then so be it, but at least you gave the others a fare shake. Just because you are lowest priced car in the list doesn't give you a major leg up on the competition.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts