Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my mail from yesterday. The new Road & Track was in the box. Good review. Compares to the Miata.....duh. The new MX-5 has a review too.

Attachments

·
4,592 Posts
The guys got hold of the autoweek one, and scaned it, any chance we'll get it here also?

·
4,592 Posts
Too coll mikefred.

mceb, this belongs on the news thread if it's not already there :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
Hopefully they are legible.
Great, thanks for sharing the info!

·
Registered
185 Posts
:party:
Thanks for the scans!

So make that 2/2 very positive reviews!!! And, no, I'm not counting the canadian newspaper review because I just don't trust canadians especially after reading the Toronto Star review, LOL -- besides, it sounds too similar to the US's tabloid "Star" :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for scanning it. I went to their web site that they refer to for more pictures but I'm guessing they won't be up till Sept 1.

It mentions their test of the new Miata in the same issue. Any chance you could scan that too so we could compare?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
twixt said:
"this car requires 6000rpm clutch dump to spin the 18" tires. :( damn gonna have to add some hp to that sucker.
Yeah, it took a moment to let "6000 rpm" sink in. But damn! Those 18" wheels looked so good!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Article also mentioned the same thing that many others on here have suggested...Change the tires! Car will be able to handle better with sport tires instead of all season tires.

·
Registered
753 Posts
thanx mikefred1952. looks like we'll be talking about tires in the next few months. i'm ready

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mikefred1952 said:
Just checked my mail from yesterday. The new Road & Track was in the box. Good review. Compares to the Miata.....duh. The new MX-5 has a review too.
NOW I know why you guys are called the SOONERS, you get the magazines SOONER than the rest of us. :lol:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mikefred1952

Could you scan and post just the spec page from the MX-5 review just for comparison?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Other than that Canadian, every review has been good.

If you look at their accelleration graph... they shifted RIGHT before 60mph... if they hadn't, they could have got 6.9-7.0 seconds.

·
Registered
753 Posts
as it was explained to me... 0-60 is taken from a quarter mile run. you could lower the time by not making the upshift to 3d, but since all other cars have 0-60 times taken from a quarter mile run it woud make the number invalid for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not big on car magazines. When it says moderate understeer, but then elsewhere says this can easily be corrected, what do they mean? It has understeer till you push the gas a bit harder to swing out the rear end??

-pete

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Easily correctable can be read as " usefully responsive to weight transfer". Some cars are "over responsive" like the Honda S2000, some are like Goldilocks - "just right" like the MX-5 and Solstice. Some hardly respond to weight transfer at all, like many FWD cars.

That means if you enter a corner and encounter a bit of "push" or "understeer", gently backing off of the throttle transfers weight to the front (due to the small amount of deceleration), causing the front to gain a bit of grip and the back to lose a bit of grip, thereby "correcting" the understeer.

Make sense?

This also works in reverse - say you go into a corner under heavy braking, and the back end starts to "step out" - an impending spin. If you jam the brakes, it's likely you'll spin, but if you can fight the flight response your adrenal glands are telling you to do, and instead roll on a bit of throttle, the weight transfers to the back, gaining a bit of grip in the back and usually calming down what could have been a date with the guardrail.

60-0 in 113 feet! :eek: Wow, that's better than I thought - I'm with LBJay - please scan the MX-5 data sheet if it is in the magazine.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts