Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've christened all my new vehicles with a major road trip soon after buying. Provided a new Solstice where would you go? How many hours do you think you can muster driving in one day? Who would you bring with you?

I live in South East Texas (it's flat, and the only corners worth mentioning around here are the underpass u-turns and a clover-leaf) and I'm planning on packing up and heading out on a solo trip to find some terrain. I've narrowed my trip down to three options:

1. Drive out to Flagstaff, AZ (Rodeo's favorite) and see the Grand Canyon and maybe swing by Las Vegas (three day drive).
2. Shorten 1 and just toot around West Texas and the Big Bend area. (One day drive)
3. Drive north east to the Smokey Mountains where I hear there are some excellent twisties and beautiful views to be had. (do a google search for "129 the dragon" to see for yourself) (One day drive)

I don't think I could pull more than 12 hours in one day, but that's around 750 miles.

·
4,592 Posts
chenslee said:
I've christened all my new vehicles with a major road trip soon after buying. Provided a new Solstice where would you go? How many hours do you think you can muster driving in one day? Who would you bring with you?

I live in South East Texas (it's flat, and the only corners worth mentioning around here are the underpass u-turns and a clover-leaf) and I'm planning on packing up and heading out on a solo trip to find some terrain. I've narrowed my trip down to three options:

1. Drive out to Flagstaff, AZ (Rodeo's favorite) and see the Grand Canyon and maybe swing by Las Vegas (three day drive).
2. Shorten 1 and just toot around West Texas and the Big Bend area. (One day drive)
3. Drive north east to the Smokey Mountains where I hear there are some excellent twisties and beautiful views to be had. (do a google search for "129 the dragon" to see for yourself) (One day drive)

I don't think I could pull more than 12 hours in one day, but that's around 750 miles.
Flagstaff is the place we pick as a base of operations for the four corners region, nice elevation there!. I recommedn you pick that option, and go north grand canyon, then see a few parks in utah. Utah is the best scenery in the US IMHO, I've spent weeks there going from park to park. Look up Zion NAtional park, just north of grand canyon. also, look at arches nat park. I posted pics/links of arches/moab in the avatar fun thread, go look!

my best raod trip, cross country for 3 months years ago camping all the way. Hit almost every state. straight out from calif, across the four corners area, through the south (love that humdity in juy) - up the east coast from florida to maine with lots of stops, thorugh bufallo to chicago, saw the WHO in Wisconsin, Yoesmite, seettle, San Fran, and home. a one sentance cross country trip. BTW, 13K miles in a hundai excel for that trip :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RODEO said:
Flagstaff is the place we pick as a base of operations for the four corners region, nice elevation there!. I recommedn you pick that option, and go north grand canyon, then see a few parks in utah. Utah is the best scenery in the US IMHO, I've spent weeks there going from park to park. Look up Zion NAtional park, just north of grand canyon. also, look at arches nat park. I posted pics/links of arches/moab in the avatar fun thread, go look!

my best raod trip, cross country for 3 months years ago camping all the way. Hit almost every state. straight out from calif, across the four corners area, through the south (love that humdity in juy) - up the east coast from florida to maine with lots of stops, thorugh bufallo to chicago, saw the WHO in Wisconsin, Yoesmite, seettle, San Fran, and home. a one sentance cross country trip. BTW, 13K miles in a hundai excel for that trip :lol:

You lucky bastard. THREE MONTHS!! I guess I need to start saving my vaction time now. A Hyundai Excel? Wow. I have an Accent and let me tell you, it's roughing it driving to work. I can't imagine it in an Excel for that long. Did you sleep in the car?

The Arches post was what got me thinking about the South West as a travel destination. I have from Friday to the following Monday (10 days) to hit it and be back. Utah would be pushing it a bit. Then again, if I skipped Las Vegas.... (www.maps.google.com):leaving:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PHEW! Beaumont to Zion Nat. Park is 1750 miles. Thats two 12 hour days and one six hour day of driving! Thats a hard-core roadtrip to me. :devil:

·
4,592 Posts
We camped the whole way, except three nights due to extreme weather. lot of camping gear can fit in a hundai excel, both back seats were filled though! It was actually a good car for the trip, not the best, but what we had.

make sure to get to utah, if not this trip, eventually, it is truly spectacular. I've been through there 9 or 10 times. love it. always something new. Lake Powell rocks also, look it up, the canyons in boats is a dream. Flagstaff here I come!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bah! Backseats are for wussies! I took the back seats out of my Accent the first day I had it and never put them back in. I can fit an entire 6 piece drumkit in the back and still have room for a passenger.

Which brings me to my next point. Suppose I took the the seat out of a Solstice, and this is where any respect around I may have earned around here evaporates, do you think there would be enough room to sleep with my head under the glovebox? If I could go on a trip and not have to pay for hotels, it would save me something like $400. Even if it meant being cramped and stinky, $400 is $400 and I wouldn't have to worry about reservations, check in times, or campground hours.

Oh, God, I am losing it. :crazy:

·
4,592 Posts
try a sleeping bag on the hood at rest stops :devil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I don't know where I would take it that would include soem good roadster roads. I could head east into the Catskills. I am sure there are some good twisties there.

Actually, I'd probably just cruise it out to Chicago and watch Cubs games at Wrigley! :cool: Most of my roadtrips end up at a ballpark with the Cubs as one of the teams anyway. :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I don't know where I would take it that would include soem good roadster roads. I could head east into the Catskills. I am sure there are some good twisties there.

Actually, I'd probably just cruise it out to Chicago and watch Cubs games at Wrigley! :cool: Most of my roadtrips end up at a ballpark with the Cubs as one of the teams anyway. :lol:
Daa Cubbsss! I'm a chicago native!!! still have much family there.

Pennselvania (sorry bout that spelling) has some great autumn color drives, at least I thought so?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'll be driving mine from Baltimore, MD to Monterey, CA soon after I get it. More or less by necessity, since I'm moving. Probably make that trip alone, then fly back and drive the other car out with the family. Good times!

Once we're in Monterey, we'll probably leave the kids with my sister-in-law south of San Fran and take road trips about once a month. Tahoe, Yosemite, Grand Canyon/Vegas... can't wait!

Only going to be in Monterey for 10 months, then hopefully it's off to Germany. I'd love to take the Solstice out to Nurburgring. I doubt it's going to be much of a thrill on the Autobahn... in fact, it'll probably come with a factory speed limiter set at 128 because of the RS-A tires.

·
4,592 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'll be driving mine from Baltimore, MD to Monterey, CA soon after I get it. More or less by necessity, since I'm moving. Probably make that trip alone, then fly back and drive the other car out with the family. Good times!

Once we're in Monterey, we'll probably leave the kids with my sister-in-law south of San Fran and take road trips about once a month. Tahoe, Yosemite, Grand Canyon/Vegas... can't wait!

Only going to be in Monterey for 10 months, then hopefully it's off to Germany. I'd love to take the Solstice out to Nurburgring. I doubt it's going to be much of a thrill on the Autobahn... in fact, it'll probably come with a factory speed limiter set at 128 because of the RS-A tires.
Some NICE roads in monterey, not only PCH, but some great backcountry roads, you'll enjoy the weekend drives. vegas and grand canyon north rim in the same trip is great, and it takes you right through Zion nat park, make a point to do it that way!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Oh yeah, there are definitely some great roads out there. I was out there from '96-'97 with a sport bike. Got married out there and took our honeymoon to Tahoe. We'll be going back to the same place for our 10th anniversary. Can't wait to enjoy the same roads in the Solstice that I so fondly remember riding last time we were there.

·
4,592 Posts
2kwk4u, heard of pismo beach a couple hours south of monteray? there's some cool dunes called oceano dunes state park, you can rent quads by the hour and ride the dunes, total fun, done it with the wife a half dozen times, and it's a nice drive to get there from the north.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2KWK4U said:

Thats crazy! Thats 3000 miles! Even if you drove 12 hours a day, you still wouldn't get there untill the fourth day. Wow.

Why don't you just give the family a 24 hour head start? You'll catch up... :devil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts