Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is on vacation next week and we where not planning much so I decided to take a little road trip to Wilmington. I am going to be there on Monday for the start of production and the birth of the first Solstices. If production dosen't start nothing lost I just want to see real Solstices, there's got to be some around somewhere. We will find other things to do besides drive by the plant all day so if anyone from the area can make some suggestions I would appreciate it.

What would be real nice is if the GM lurkers would pm me and invite me to a plant tour. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good luck. Philly isn't too far up the road if you get bored.

Never been there but here's a map of where I think it is. Maybe those closer can verify?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please take a camera!

If you do get to the plant & can update those of us who follow this board, please keep us informed!

Ten days & counting!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I drove by there last week and there were 4 or 5 test vehicles in the fenced portion of the lot. Saw one on the road that week too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Visit the area

If you're going to visit Wilmington to see the cars, you ought to do some of the sights. If you're in to culture, there is a great museum just outside of Wilmington called Wintertheur (sp?). Also if the Blue Rocks are in town you might catch a game. Wilmington is only about 30 miniutes south of Philadelphia (take I-95N) and check out the new Constitution Center and Liberty Bell site by Independence Hall. Great things to do in the area. Have fun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am planning a trip to the plant tomorrow. Hoping to get some photos and a close-up view.

Coming from South Jersey. Planning to take I-95 south to the route 141 exit and on to Boxwood.

Hope this is the correct route???

I'll bring back photos and video if possible.

:cool:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats the area I am going to so I hope that is the right area. i plan to take my camera also and I hope to see our Solstices rolling out with window stickers on them. What I realy want to see is how the Solstice looks on the road. The size is what I have trouble picturing in my mind.

Thanks to those who gave sight seeing tips it looks like Philly is the place to go although I hear it is not too safe but I guess if you don't get lost it will be ok. We thought we might drive down the coast to a beach also.

Just a thought but since I will be gone a couple days my news may be old by the time i get back if someone would like to be a contact to post any news I would be glad to pass anything of intrest along for posting but I will post pictures when I get back.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mceb said:
Good luck. Philly isn't too far up the road if you get bored.

Never been there but here's a map of where I think it is. Maybe those closer can verify?
Thanks for the map that is where I figured it would be.

·
Registered
100 Posts
plant location and the cars

The 141 north exit is the correct exit. Exit sign is Newport. When you turn right onto Boxwood look for dodson Street just pass the plant and make a left. Go all the way back to see the Solstice .....have fun.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Went to the Plant today!

Ok...I am hyperventilating as I write this...

Today on my way to NY, I drove by the plant. As seen in previous posts here, there were rows of Solstices as expected...but, then the real treat came...

For some reason that I could not figure out, they started moving cars from one area and bringing them to another part of the plant. Seeing the car in motion was a sight...My daughter and I were high fiving each other with each growl of the engine...this is where it got exciting...several of the GM employees started showing the car off...squelching the tires in mid-motion, letting me see the car in motion from ALL angles...

And it gets better! One of the employees drove a Sly with Ebony Sol right to the fence and really let me see the gem! I will be honest with all of you, After seeing John's pics I was nervous that the car would appear too small...This is not the case! The car looks out of this world with the top up or down. I have to say, this does not look like a $20K+ car, more like $50K!

Seeing this car in person, in motion, in all its colors, hearing the engine rev, seeing it squirt forward with just a tap of the pedal, and seeing how it handled cornering...even hearing the stereo system was awesome. I am sold!

You guys can look at the S2000, Crossfire, BMW, Miata all you want. But, at the end of the day, you will be sorry you did not have patience...

Cheers to GM for creating a product that really gets the heart racing. I personally have not HAD to have a vehicle in a long time. This is now one of them.

So, now I wait...unfortunately, I am currently in the second allocation pool...those of you that get this vehicle soon, enjoy! I'll be marveling on the sidelines for now.

-Former BMW Z3 owner

P.S. cars that really stood out where Sly*****, Cool****, White****Red**** (actually, this trip changed my mind from cool to sly with polished rims)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great wannasolstice2, nice report :)

I think the enthusiasm is building now as we get close to start of production :thumbs:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mysterious

I did see the mysterious. It looked great however I only saw the rear..the cars being shown off for us where white, cool and sly. I have to say, all of them look just unbelievable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wannasolstice 2,

I ordered Mysterious and am thinking of changing to deep or sly. How did you think the Mysterious compared to the Sly and Deep if you saw it? I like the Mysterious, but I know it is hard to keep clean. Also, do you know if the Sly is a metallic color and does it really look like a dark gray color?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
...several of the GM employees started showing the car off...squelching the tires in mid-motion, letting me see the car in motion from ALL angles...
Hope these were all preproduction cars and that the employes don't shave my tires and drop my clutch before I get a chance to... :willy:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Trip Report

Sly is metallic and a darker gray color than the cool, obviously...but what really stood out was the rims with this color...it's a nice contrast...the car just looks like its eating road!

The other thing that caught my attention was the simple act of shutting the doors...one thing I liked about my BMW was that it felt solid and when you shut the doors it had this whump sound...I heard that today...car sounded very solid.

I also noticed the turning radius...very tight and the car appeared to turn with the head...turns where tight...

I know people on this forum have been debating the wheel size on this car, but man, they really stand out. I happy with the standard size!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
All this info is killing me I cant wait to get there. I have been wanting to see what the sly with painted wheels look like. That is how I ordered mine. If I dont like the painted wheels I could just remove the paint and polish them myself.

Notice to the plant: I will be there Monday so have plenty of cars for me to see. Let me know if they are production cars please. :yesnod:

·
5,641 Posts
We need a forum sign that people can leave their mark on that is visible with the Delaware traffic camera. :lol: :lol:

Just keep in mind I am not advising or requesting any destruction of public property.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
achieftain said:
Hope these were all preproduction cars and that the employes don't shave my tires and drop my clutch before I get a chance to... :willy:
These must still be pre-production since we had startup pegged at 7/11 or 7/18.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts