Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had made these a long time ago, but had forgotten about them till RODEO made a comment recently. Thought I'd share them. The car images are mainly from tirerack.com. I'd like to point out that when you look at images of cars on their site, they've already sized ALL of thier car images against each other. So when you look at a Miata and a Corvette on their site the images are sized releative to each other and the wheels. It's pretty cool because it made making these images easier. All of these images are sized in relation to their real world versions, so the differences you see here are what you would see in the real world.

This image is a comparison of the images butted up against the far edge to show their lengths.
http://www.inner-ninja.com/images/Length_Comparison.png

This images is a comparison using the rear wheel as a baseline to show how the cars compare wheelbase wise.
http://www.inner-ninja.com/images/Wheel_Base_Comparison.png

I shrunk the images as JPG so I could attach them. YOu can click the PNG above for a version with less compression.

Attachments

·
5,600 Posts
That's a fantastic comparison. I love it. The Solstice is barely longer than the Miata but you can see a big difference in wheelbase. Frankly, I like that longer wheelbase for stability and comfort. It should be less "twitchy".

I knew the Vette's were big. Didn't realize HOW big. Funny how the Solstice is always described as being almost as wide as a Corvette, as if to imply it is nearly as big. But for width, it is nowhere near as large as a Corvette.

So is the Viper longer or shorter than a Vette?

Thanks for putting together a great graphic tool for comparing the overall size of sports car. Way cool! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
As some of you might have noticed (german Opel GT thread), I'm a german roadster fan waiting for the new Opel GT (3rd Kappa for Europe) that will probably be based on the Saturn Sky.

Many people think (although there's no official statement) that the car will be a rebagded Sky without too many modifications (needed for lights and engine to fit european laws).

For me the comparison is very interesting, because I already was told, that they can't just rebadge a Solstice to sell it as the new Opel. The explanation was that there are problems with the pedestrian protection that can be solved using the Sky design.

And now one can see why: the front of the Sky is longer.

Thanks!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
t.henss said:
As some of you might have noticed (german Opel GT thread), I'm a german roadster fan waiting for the new Opel GT (3rd Kappa for Europe) that will probably be based on the Saturn Sky.

Many people think (although there's no official statement) that the car will be a rebagded Sky without too many modifications (needed for lights and engine to fit european laws).

For me the comparison is very interesting, because I already was told, that they can't just rebadge a Solstice to sell it as the new Opel. The explanation was that there are problems with the pedestrian protection that can be solved using the Sky design.

And now one can see why: the front of the Sky is longer.

Thanks!
I was wondering if the hood was a little higher on the Sky too, because it doesn't slope down as much as the Solstice's hood. Those new pedestrian laws require so much space between the hood, and the top of the engine underneath to give it some crush space to absorb the impact of hitting a pedestrian.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is an older pic, it was before I could get an NC image as lbjay added.
I've got an excel file with a bunch of math in it, so I just gotta get appropriate images and data and I can add cars in. If there are other Roadsters people want to see in it I can add them.

Going to add so far;
  • SLK
  • Crossfire
  • Viper
  • XLR

·
Registered
25 Posts
jimbo said:
I knew the Vette's were big. Didn't realize HOW big. Funny how the Solstice is always described as being almost as wide as a Corvette, as if to imply it is nearly as big. But for width, it is nowhere near as large as a Corvette. /QUOTE]

Is there any way to get a top side view to see how the width compares?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
H2o said:
jimbo said:
I knew the Vette's were big. Didn't realize HOW big. Funny how the Solstice is always described as being almost as wide as a Corvette, as if to imply it is nearly as big. But for width, it is nowhere near as large as a Corvette.
Is there any way to get a top side view to see how the width compares?
Don't know where a pic is of the top view of the C6 - but the solstice is every bit as wide as they say - only about an inch shy of the C6. The Sol' is considerably shorter - the proportions are part of what I think a lot of people like.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I really hope that the extra width, wheelbase, and slightly longer facias of the Sky satisfy me. The miata is waaaaay to small for my tastes, or I would already be driving a "monster". Even my fieros are too small for me these days. The crossfire is about right for me, as is a 350z. I really hope the Sky fits that "size" or I will be saying g'bye and settle for the slightly larger vette...

That is in no way a bash on the platform - just 100% opinion on the kind of car I want to drive.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I added the following cars.
  • SLK
  • Crossfire
  • Viper
  • XLR
I also compressed them as jpg this time since the file size was getting very big as png. This also let me attach them to the forum too so the thread loads faster. You can click the link to get a PNG with less compression.

Quick Jump
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40252&postcount=1

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hmmm.

Can I ask why the Solstice & Sky don't have the same wheelbase in your pics? At first I thought "Yeah!" when comparing the Sky to the Crossfire, but then noticed that the Sky wheelbase is larger than the Solstice....

Are you sure all the pics are scaled appropriately?

I'm wondering also about the discrepancy between the C5 and XLR wheelbase, because something in the back of my head says they should have the same wheelbase...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the side by side comparison. It really shows the Solstice' short front and rear overhangs. Partially accounts for the lack of trunk space and the need for the fuel tank design.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SkyCaptain said:
Hmmm.

Can I ask why the Solstice & Sky don't have the same wheelbase in your pics? At first I thought "Yeah!" when comparing the Sky to the Crossfire, but then noticed that the Sky wheelbase is larger than the Solstice....

Are you sure all the pics are scaled appropriately?

I'm wondering also about the discrepancy between the C5 and XLR wheelbase, because something in the back of my head says they should have the same wheelbase...
The Sky Solstice are off I admit. I just went and looked at it more closely. The Sky is offset a little to the right of the line and the Solstice a little to the left. So it makes them look off too much. The C5 and XLR do have the same wheel base. Problem is some of the images I tirerack.com didn't have (any image with some sort of background to it). So I had to hack images from other sources, transform them, resize, etc. So they're off by a bit.

I was in a hurry, and it wasn't meant to be very scientific, just a general idea. If they're tirerack.com images though they're dead on. Their people have done a great job with the images.

I uploaded a fixed jpg and png now.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Acording to R&T the 2004 Crossfire has 36.3 headroom 43.0 legroom
Brochure of 2006 Solstice gives 38.5 headroom and 42.7 legroom

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not worried about the interior room so much as the exterior appearance and dimensions.

I've been a little paranoid after some chic saw me in my fiero and told me, "Nice car, but you look like a circus bear riding a nice tricycle. Get a bigger car."

:(

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, it is somewhat true that your car is the last thing you put on before you go out. Not everyone can look good in leather pants, not everyone can look good in a Solstice.

The Solstice seating position looks to be low in the car, with a lot of body structure surrounding the passengers, so it probably won't matter how big you are, since you won't be sticking out of the car much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts