Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, As I said in another post, I've been busy with a new lecture assignment, and moving/selling our home. Since I sorta hijacked on that thread, thought I'd start this one.

If anyone wants to help post here on current events (Sol related) to help keep me in the loop, that would be great. I've had a chance once a day to check in, but jeez, there's a lot happening. I particularly look forward to seeing the DVD pics in better quality, and of course to see the trunk open.

Penn State??? PSU-ME! Funny! Univ of Cal Santa Barbara is were I work/graduated. :cool:

Robrecht asked what the I'm lecturing. The wife and I work as tech geeks for a Professor at the University, and are co-lecturing with the Prof. The class is Multimedia, it starts with computer fundamentals, then goes into Dreamweaver (HTML) and Photoshop, Flash, Maps, and Presentation methods.

Of course my main objective is teaching "advanced animated avatars" so I can attract talent to Avatars-R-US! ;)

Selling the home looks easy enough, inventories in our area are at a historic low, good for us. 5 years ago, nobody would even make an offer, now they're lined up to buy the 4 homes on the market in our price range, hehehehe!

So, help a guy out, and post info as it comes in. I know chieftain will just to beat my post count :lol: :devil:

I wanted to add: for those of you who never owned a roadster, it changes your life! Ours has been out of the garage every day for the last three months, and almost everyone of those days ways pure recreational fun. We really didnt use our car often before as we work from home, and can bicycle to the store. But now, we go for a ride once or twice a day JUST FOR FUN! IOW, joyriding is back, just like when I was a kid! :willy:

I'll be around once a day!

RODEO

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
So, help a guy out, and post info as it comes in. I know chieftain will just to beat my post count :lol: :devil:
I'm pedalling as fast as I can, but I'm envious of your following statement just becaues we're still digging out from under over a foot of snow that arrived Sat-Sun.

I wanted to add: for those of you who never owned a roadster, it changes your life! Ours has been out of the garage every day for the last three months, and almost everyone of those days ways pure recreational fun. We really didnt use our car often before as we work from home, and can bicycle to the store. But now, we go for a ride once or twice a day JUST FOR FUN! IOW, joyriding is back, just like when I was a kid! :willy:

RODEO
:cheers:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:

RODEO
Only in so-cal can you have been enjoying your roadster the last three months! We had 7 inches of snow on Sunday! If I had a roadster, it would still be burried until spring thaw (which I think occurs around July 4th around here!) :lol:

Good luck on selling your home! The way the papers report rates out your way, you should bring in a good buck! I hope the replacement home doesn't soak you! Also, good luck with the lecture! :yesnod:

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, didn't mean to make that a So Cal brag, I do feel for you northeners. The MSM forum has a bunch of 6 month old roadsters under 600 miles do to the arctic conditons up there :devil:

I've been searching classifieds for RENT for most of the AM, thought it time to take a break. NO WAY will we buy now, sell yes, buy no.... :lol:

Money goes in bank for next home a few years from now once the embers cool from this real estate fire sale..... and maybe a second roadster is not out of line :lol: (hint hint, Sol)!

Achieftain will over take my post count by days end :glol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to make that a So Cal brag, I do feel for you northeners. The MSM forum has a bunch of 6 month old roadsters under 600 miles do to the arctic conditons up there :devil:

I've been searching classifieds for RENT for most of the AM, thought it time to take a break. NO WAY will we buy now, sell yes, buy no.... :lol:

Money goes in bank for next home a few years from now once the embers cool from this real estate fire sale..... and maybe a second roadster is not out of line :lol: (hint hint, Sol)!

Achieftain will over take my post count by days end :glol:
Just watch out for those Capital Gains taxes if you don't roll your profits into another property! ;)

Don't worry about the brag on the nice weather. Us northerners are just jealous. It did make it to 60 today and was sunny. I was able to get the Fiero out for a cruise even! Most of the road salt is gone now, making it safe for steel frames! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Rodeo - News Flashes 4 you!!!

check out the Avatar Fun N Games thread - managed to put together some ani-gif avatars from the solstice commercial on the web.

Be sure to watch The Apprentice next Thursday, April 14.

You're now a first 1000 member. You can have a bigger avatar.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for checking in, and helping me keep up to date!

I drove a round trip of 200 miles today looking at potential rentals, rather discouraging so far :( Nice day for the top down though!!!

Nice to come home, crack a nice cold one, and open the forum. Too bad I don't have the energy to read more than one thread, hehehe.

Any higher res pics of the DVD top operation?

Sol-Man is now having all the avatar fun, I'm so jealous.

Ff88, there's a new (since late 90s) capitol gains rules, 2/5 year rule, no longer the roll over rule for primary residence. Be sure everyone knows about this change, it can cost you dearly. Must live in a home for 2 of the last 5 years, then no cap gains tax up to 250K per individual or 500K per couple. Good news for us though ;) Glad to hear the temps are up there, whew!

Thanks for stopping into my little corner. As much as the rentals suck, it's nice having throngs of buyers lining up at the door to pay top dollar for our home. A free MSM, and maybe even a free Sol, hehehe (not really, but you get the point).

More pointless rental searches manana, see you then. Keep me posted on the new Sol stuff!!!

RODEO

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am glad the 2/5 year rule will work good for you! It will certainly be nice for you to take advantage of it and get yourself a free MSM! :cool:

How much are rentals going for out your way? Around our way, a really nice place will run over $1000 a month, which is really expensive compared to our real estate market. Our median home price last year was around $90,000, so the rental costs are definately more than a mortgage would be. Unfortunately, the homes here don't appreciate like they do in your area, so we don't get much of a return on them.

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for helping guys! One thread a day is about all I can read, whew :(

Brentil, THANKS, and Inbox is clear, but post here if possible, works for me, and maybe others like me.

Ff88, rents here are high, so was Suburbs of DC in 2001. We're now in a 1000sqft condo in a very nice suburb of LA, price 350K, rent $1400. So, we're looking at nicer properties like townhomes, but at $1500 they are embarrasing, even though they might be in good neighborhoods. Flagstaff is expensive also, but it's a "resort' area, $1200-1400 for towhhomes.

And here's the reason I'm posting:
I'm learning from my car buying experience! I'm sick of no value for good money, so I'm haggling. For example, 2 very nice townhomes I looked at had certain drawbacks (i.e. small, but nice, and epensive), so I offered less. I also mention we have very good credentials and credit etc...

SO, I ask, have any of you had the experience that haggling rents works. Usually in the past, I would move on rather than counter a rent price. THOUGHTS???

What a PITA. Would rather buy again now, but following the old - buy low - sell high philosophy!!!

Keep those Sol updates coming, thanks, back to the grindstone, but nice break for me, hehehehe. Cars are such a nice distraction :lol:

RODEO

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO as a property owner with my son here is my take on haggling. Everything is negotiable - if the property has been empty for 1-3 months, if you can commit to longer lease, if you can contribute handyman skills. We're not dealing with the same level of units but some of the same rules apply. There are good renters (which you are) and there are bad renters in all price levels.

Also on the cap gain rollover, you can have lived in a property any 2 of the last 5, even first 2, as in 2001, 2002 and rented out 2003-2004-2005. Also there is a time frame from date of sale if you are rolling over(I think 2 years, but all that info is at www.irs.gov)

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
chief, you may be correct, but I believe rollover only applies to investment property now, but I could be wrong. You did explain the 2/5 year rule correctly, you could have rented it the last 3 years and still avoid cap gains if you lived it in for any 24 months non-consecutively within the last 5 years, which works for us!

Good to hear about haggling. There is a great unit, huge, nice, but expensive. I'm willing to stretch the $ if they come down a $100, otherwise, it's really more home than we need, or can justify. Keep you collective fingers crossed. IT's got ocean views, attached garage for our little combustion engine children, and is 1600+ sqft and 2 years old - I asked for $1675 rent, way more than we've ever paid, but I'll give up gambling, drinking and womanizing for it, hehehehehe :brentil: :glol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
but I'll give up gambling, drinking and womanizing for it, hehehehehe :brentil: :glol:
Check with your woman first before you give HER up, who else is going to hold your second set of golf clubs. :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If you can get $1675 rent for it, that actually sounds very good to me compared to rents around here. To get a place at 1600 sq feet, I bet rent would be at least $1200, and probably closer to $1400 with a garage. That also is going to include a view of nothing memorable! We do have some townhouses on the Lake Erie waterfront around $400,000, but I have no idea if they can be rented or for how much. Most of the rental properties on our waterfront are subsidized housing. Nice for the poor, stupid for the city's tax base.

Good luck with it!

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No new/better pics from the DVD??? I can't believe how slow this new info is coming in :brentil:

Ff88, isn't it amaziing how rents are expensive everywhere! I really thought Buffalo would have been much cheaper than the numbers you posted, but go figure.

Here's the latest. I offered $1700 for that nice Townhouse, they said they'd consider it. I also offered to take over anything like cleaning if that would make it acceptable. Here's the glitch, my neighbor who has a nice 1000spft condo right next door offered me $1300. I kinda want to move closer to work and the beach, but mostly we really want to splurge and get the really nice place. so, if you have any advice, don't let it be "take the lower rent and save for a Sol", I just can't stand the idea of being sensible when it comes to this beautiful townhouse by the beach.

it was fun checking in, but where are those d*mn pics :devil:

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
LatinVenom said:
Rodeo:
From one of your Miata brothers, I thought you may want to see it.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26799&postcount=1
Choo Choo, funny stuff. Thanks Lvenom!

I gotta say the MSM has a style that keeps growing on us, no buyers remorse for sure. The competition is going to have to be good to get us out of the MSM. Looks like it's still going to be a while before we get to see a Sol in person, and that of course is everything. The NC MX-5 is less than desirable to us, again will want to see in person (no offense meant to the NC enthusiasts). I haven't even visited the NC board for months, not much to get excited about as I see it. The Sol, no matter how it turns out, will always be an eye grabbing vehicle, it's wether or not it's a roadster that can hold it's own that intrigues me???

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey, RODEO.

Good luck on the apartment search. Sounds like you may be betting on the housing bubble bursting soon? Living by the beach would be fantastic but there's something to be said for equity and itemized deductions on your income tax too. I don't really have any advice, really, but good luck.

Also don't have any better DVD pictures or any news on the Solstice, but have you heard about the new Miata? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
robrecht said:
Hey, RODEO.

Good luck on the apartment search. Sounds like you may be betting on the housing bubble bursting soon? Living by the beach would be fantastic but there's something to be said for equity and itemized deductions on your income tax too. I don't really have any advice, really, but good luck.

Also don't have any better DVD pictures or any news on the Solstice, but have you heard about the new Miata? ;)
Last night one of the episodes of "On Point" (NPR out of Boston) had a guest that is predicting bust in housing prices similar to his apparently correct prediction of the stock market "correction" a couple of years back. I was not impressed. He couldn't point to specifics and seemed to say "if prices drop you can get hurt, if they don't you won't AND nobody knows for sure what will happen but if it happens..." Duh.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yeah, on the radio I heard approximately:

"Back in 99, some people who were watching the NASDAQ soar to record heights warned that this bubble would soon burst - resulting in many, many people loosing billions of dollars.

They called these people pessimists.

Today, some people who are watching housing prices soar to record levels are warning that this bubble will soon burst - resulting in many, many people loosing billions of dollars.

They call THESE people....

...renters"

I got a chuckle out of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts