Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get a Solstice (and I am strongly considering it), I'll want to take it to the track. Presently do quite a lot of HPDEs and some events in my MCS.

Nearly everyone (ie. BMW, Porsche, SCCA) are requiring roll bars. Officially, need 2" clearance above helmet when a stick is placed on bar to top of window frame.

Any resident gurus want to venture a guess on the chances of closing the top? If not, what can a person do? I've never owned a convertible before.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
People have been making roll bars for the Boxster, Z3, Z4, Miata, and various other convertibles for a while. It'll all depend on how the Solstice was designed on how easy a roll bar can be developed for the car with minimal damage being caused to the rest of the car to get it in, or to be able to ever remove it too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
Jus2shy said:
is a roll bar required in SCCA Stock class? I don't think I read that in any of their rule books
Roll bars are not required for Solo II Autocrossing (parking lot, cone racing, stuff like that).

Roll bars are ABSOLUTELY required for SCCA Club Racing (at a closed track, wheel-to-wheel) along with a ton of other stuff (fire supression, etc.). Also pretty much same for Solo I, which is basically time trialling at the same closed tracks that Club Racing is done at - just no traffic.

Many clubs are now doing "track days", and I'm seeing them, one-by-one, as incidents occurr, starting to require roll bars for cars using race tires, or convertibles, or serious mods above "stock". Some of the clubs basically say "if you trailer the car here, it better have a roll cage".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
I could stand overhead loops like on the Z3... those look good.

I don't see how the humps on the rear deck lid offer roll protection like the GM Podcast mentioned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Fortimir said:
I could stand overhead loops like on the Z3... those look good.

I don't see how the humps on the rear deck lid offer roll protection like the GM Podcast mentioned.
There was other stuff in that podcast that wasn't right either. I don't see how they could be considered roll bar when they are below the driver's head, like a headrest that hits the middle of our back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Fortimir said:
I could stand overhead loops like on the Z3... those look good.

I don't see how the humps on the rear deck lid offer roll protection like the GM Podcast mentioned.
They offer rollover protection if you are only 5 feet tall. Otherwise, after a rollover you will be 5 feet tall.
:lol:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
For strictly a competition car, I am sure a rollbar could be fashioned. However, if you still want it to look good, fit under the top well, etc, its going to take some more work. However, I am sure someone will come up with a solution. Heck, GM has been braging about the autocross abilities of the car and will likely compete it themselves to promote it so I doubt they would have designed it so it was impossible to integrate a rollbar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
My competition days are gone (forever). The closest I will be to being on the track will be a run at Road America during one of their drive what you brung pre-race runs. Don't need a helmut, or roll bar, for that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Although I highly doubt that it is the case, but the rear glass "frame" could fill the role as a rollbar. Then all you would have to do is put the top up and wallah! Rollbar.

It could explain why the window "post holes" on the humps are so large. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but it's a possibility. If not OEM, perhaps aftermarket...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
Although I highly doubt that it is the case, but the rear glass "frame" could fill the role as a rollbar. Then all you would have to do is put the top up and wallah! Rollbar.

It could explain why the window "post holes" on the humps are so large. Again, I'm not holding my breath, but it's a possibility. If not OEM, perhaps aftermarket...
Any cmpetition rollcage will have to be mounted to the frame of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Designing a street/track rollbar for the Solstice will be as much fun as one for the new MX-5. The SCCA requires two rear braces and a cross bar to be Solo1 legal.

With the way the trunk opens and the top stows on the Solstice and the way top is fitted on the new MX-5, I don't think it will be possible without MAJOR modifications to both, or maybe not at all even.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
achieftain said:
Any cmpetition rollcage will have to be mounted to the frame of the car.
At what point did I say it couldn't be attached to the frame(rails)?

A. I was simply outlining a distinctly REMOTE possibility.

B. Looking at the early rolling chassis I see a rollbar attached to the bulkhead, and the mounting points for the gas tank, which are attached to the frame rails, could serve as part of the mounting system.

C. And no, it WOULDN'T have to attach to a frame. If a frame attachment were necessary then my Fiero, my GTP, and my Saturn couldn't possibly have a frame mounted rollbar because they are unibody (and technically so is the Kappa, despite having frame rails)... Not to mention miatas, vegas, monzas, and every other frameless car on a track.

D. Audi's and Bimmers (and some other roadsters) have OEM rollbars that are "competitive" and don't attach to a frame.


Peace out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
SkyCaptain said:
the rear glass "frame" could fill the role as a rollbar

A. I was simply outlining a distinctly REMOTE possibility.
"Impossibility" if you read the SCCA rules on track legal (Solo1) rollbar construction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LBJay said:
Designing a street/track rollbar for the Solstice will be as much fun as one for the new MX-5. The SCCA requires two rear braces and a cross bar to be Solo1 legal.

With the way the trunk opens and the top stows on the Solstice and the way top is fitted on the new MX-5, I don't think it will be possible without MAJOR modifications to both, or maybe not at all even.
Will be interesting, I agree. Why I asked. Going to go to a shop that does that work next week. He has his own fabricator. Will ask some questions, though they can only be general in nature, due to lack of info.

I hope someone at Pontiac is reading these posts. If they want to go after the Miata, they better be able to race it. The want the car to have a "halo effect" for the brand, well those of us that race or take part in events like HPDE's, trackdays and Cannonball One Lap of America have a "halo effect" for the car -- i.e. Solstice.

Maybe they should call in Autopower, the big roll cage maker for some consultation work, just to make sure they aren't doing one little thing goofy that will make it impossible, or more likely, overly expensive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
I don't think they'd be offering an official, warrantied "Adjustable Race Suspension" if they didn't intend the Solstice to be raced. Also that first podcast made refrence to more things to come by next SEMA to show of the prowess of the Solstice. To compete with the Miata GM knows they have to compete wiht it on all levels. Which means SCCA too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brentil said:
I don't think they'd be offering an official, warrantied "Adjustable Race Suspension" if they didn't intend the Solstice to be raced. Also that first podcast made refrence to more things to come by next SEMA to show of the prowess of the Solstice. To compete with the Miata GM knows they have to compete wiht it on all levels. Which means SCCA too.
Ageed, hope the access points for a bolt-on are reasonable.

Now just have to dump those 18's also. Lots of gearing and suspension issues to review.

Really wondering about possible 6-speed availability. Not to mention the 2.0L Redline engine. Would hate to buy this version in November, start tearing into it and have the above appear in the Spring
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
NearlyNN said:
Ageed, hope the access points for a bolt-on are reasonable.

Now just have to dump those 18's also. Lots of gearing and suspension issues to review.

Really wondering about possible 6-speed availability. Not to mention the 2.0L Redline engine. Would hate to buy this version in November, start tearing into it and have the above appear in the Spring
The rumors of the auto trans are that it is a 6 speed and what's to stop you racing with an auto. That's what top fuel dragsters used to use, can't vouch for now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
NearlyNN said:
Ageed, hope the access points for a bolt-on are reasonable.

Now just have to dump those 18's also. Lots of gearing and suspension issues to review.

Really wondering about possible 6-speed availability. Not to mention the 2.0L Redline engine. Would hate to buy this version in November, start tearing into it and have the above appear in the Spring
To race it in an "official" SCCA stock class, you'll have to stick with the 18's, IIRC. Unless they offer it with 17's you aren't really allowed to change the wheel size, and you can only change the width in a certain range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
LBJay said:
"Impossibility" if you read the SCCA rules on track legal (Solo1) rollbar construction.
I read them and I see no such impossibility. From what I can tell it boils down to a 4 point rollbar with a crossbar. Perhaps you would like to expand on your claim of "impossibility". Not trying to be an A$$, but I've mentioned my need of a rollbar many times (though not for SCCA Solo 1), had countless discussions on the subject on various forums, and even toyed with the idea of producing them en masse for sale.

And regardless of whether or not glass can be attached to a rollbar, there is NO requirement that the rollbar be attached to an actual frame, not that I even made any statement for or against such attachment. My cursory search of the internet turns up exactly ZERO examples of a rollbar being attached directly to a frame, compared to DOZENS and DOZENS of examples of rollbars attached to body sheet metal, even in SCCA Solo 1 cars. And as a note, SCCA Solo 1 is not the only type or racing. Last I checked, this thread was about rollbars and not about SCCA Solo 1 racing.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top