Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a while back, but didn't read all the fine print.

I bought my solstice and then immediately started looking for roll over protection, so I could get on the track. Having little to no luck I found a company to take the challenge of creating a beautiful solution, that is minimally invasive and leaves factory seats and convertible top still fully functional.

I drove my car out west to have a VERY reputable company design and create a 4pt and 6pt Roll Cage for the Pontiac Solstice.

Your welcome.

( I have been with out my car for almost 9 months, I feel like I have been waiting to birth a child)

This is a picture of a Corvette with a VERY similar design to what is going into the Solstice.

I pick the Solstice up next week and will post pictures then.

I am driving back across the county to Ohio and would love to see some people or clubs along the way to show the Bar to any one who is interested!

I am in the Pacific Northwest July 7-10th ish, then driving the main leg back to Ohio the 14th-17th.

PM me if you want information about the roll bar, cost, who to call. or if you want me to stop by and see you or your Solstice/Sky club on the way home.

·
Administrator
9,711 Posts
I am anxious to see this in person and, since I am in Lexington I'll be able to drive up once you get it home.

Having spent a lot of time looking into this, I am curious about what "minimally invasive" is going to look like and how well it will meet the standards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice! Can you share who did the work? I live in Seattle and may be interested in being customer #2 if the product is something like I would want.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the interest guys! Personal Message me for more details.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
Where in the PNW will you be? Might be interested in getting together...

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I'm SO ready for a roll bar. Bring on the details!

Reactions: Brogan

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update! I arrived in Portland today, just finished talkin with the guys working on the roll bar.

Good news: Its going to happen

Bad news: They want the car for another week to finish the bars. But its going to be done right, and in the right color ;)

Will have some pictures to post form the shop Monday, or sooner.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photo Update For The Roll Bar

I just received these images this morning from the guys at the shop.

As you can see the seats are fully functional and have full range of motion. I am having them install aftermarket seats, so I will post those pictures too later this week. They are painting the bars today.

The only compromise so far has been that the center cup holder is no longer useable.

Seeing as thought, that this is the MOST difficult car this company has done to date, the cockpit in here is tighter than some of the most exotic cars they have done in the past. Loosing the center cup functionality at this point was the least of my concerns.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
That is pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brogan

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
That has got to be the best looking roll bar if you want to keep your car anywhere near stock. Nice job. :thumbs:
Glad to see you can put a roll bar in without hacking the car to pieces.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Nice- has anyone got this signed off by NASA or SCCA? Or has it just been let out for looking "good enough"?
Haven't looked at absolutely up to date SCCA regs, but the bar looks like it should pass spec.

Solstice and 914 Porsches have to be about the hardest cars I know to design a legal roll bar for,

Can't see it working in a coupe where access is limited, unless you installed the side bar after you got in and tech wouldn't like that. And it wouldn't work for big guys - I need to be able to run my seat all the way back for comfortable seating position (actually, with base a couple of clicks forward and seat back reclined against the rear firewall).

The other concern with a street/track car is whether a roll over on the street with the side bars left out would be less, or more likely to hurt the occupants (I offer no opinion on that).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Brogan, is the hoop removable?
Are you going to be putting padding on the bars?
That looks like it may be really close to your head during normal driving, and an injury risk in normal accidents.

I'm not a tall guy, but looking relative to the seat, my helmet would be above the top of the hoop.

It's almost like the best solution might be putting on one of those wagon-style hardtops and building the roll bar so it's mostly in the trunk area.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Without legal positioned rear support bars, it will not pass. The pivots and latches for the side bars have to meet specs which they may. Is it chromoly or mild steel?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
There have been periods where the braces could be either fore OR aft.
Obviously the material and pip pins udes to joint the tubes as well as the gusseting must comply with the GCRs.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts