Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this picture and was thinking where are the Roll Bars? The heads of the two guys are above the seat tops. Are the occupants heads the roll bar? :crazy

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm not sure, but if it's like a lot of other cars those are actually "Style Bars" that just bolt on to the top of the exterior of the car. To be a real roll bar it has to go down past the top layer of the car and bolt to the actual body frame, and not the exterior. If you're wanting to race in the SCCA depending on the class, they have differentl levels of roll bar requirments. For example the number of places it bolts down, and the thickness of metal and weld types, etc.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I clearly see a rollbar in the cutaway pics. It's not above head level, but is a functional bar that follows the contour of the humps. You can argue how useful it is, but it's there.

Plus, the ragtop frame appears (as much as I can tell) to be quite substantial. I don't know if you would consider it a rollbar, but it looks much bigger than normal ragtop structures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look at the Audi TT the bars above the seats are higher than the heads of the occupants. If they are functional, that's a good safety feature.
Why wouldn't Pontiac do the same?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AJC said:
If you look at the Audi TT the bars above the seats are higher than the heads of the occupants. If they are functional, that's a good safety feature.
Why wouldn't Pontiac do the same?
Because they are competing with the Miata and S2000 not the TT. Think low cost. I think they exceded thier competiton well in this area.

·
Registered
527 Posts
cost... visibility... unnecessariness(is that a word???)...

I could just as easily ask why there are no head curtain airbags, no awd stabilitrac system, no engine fire extinguishing system...

I think the car just happens to be a roadster at this point. Maybe there will be a roll-bar option, or aftermarket possibilities. Certainly I have thought about roll bar options for the track a dozen times. I think there is a lot of room there to put a custom roll bar in if you're willing to dismount the ragtop.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I just went and looked it up, the two bars on the Audi TT are listed as being actual "Roll Bars," and not style bars. However there's an simple answer to your question.

Pontiac Solstice
Starting at $19,995

Audi TT
Starting at $36,220*

It's called money. The Porsche Boxster also has Roll Bars, but it's even more expensive then the Audi TT. If you look at the cheaper Roadsters (MR-2, S2000, Miata) none of these have Roll Bars. You can buy them after market fro $200-$1000 depending on type and material.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Say SCCA HP Racer, I was wondering about your thoughts on roll bars for the Solstice. Do you think those that want them or need them for autocross will be able to install them without significant body modifications?

·
Registered
527 Posts
That depends. I'm not up on my autocross rollbar rules, but I'm sure there are a lot of classes that don't require a rollbar on a convertible. But, there is ample space to attach a simple one through the ragtop frame mount holes just behind the occupants heads, down to the frame. Anybody who's competent at making rollbars should be able to make something that bolts in, and with a little design, should seal the deck fine as well. Now, if you need more than a basic rollbar, I think you'll have to modify/replace the decklid. Taking either of those paths, however, will necessitate removing the softop assembly from the trunk.

Your only other choice would be affixing the rollbars inside the cockpit, behind the seats but forward of the bulkhead. This might be the best approach IF you can stand losing a little interior room. Nobody's had a chance to sit in a Kappa yet, so I don't know how much leeway there is for that, but the few pictures I've seen with people in the cars don't hold a lot of promise for us "regular" sized guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
solsticeman said:
Excuse me, but WHAT roll bars.

This is a convertible. There ARE no roll bars.
Looking at a cutaway of the Solstice chassis (see below), it looks like there is a rollbar integrated into the headrests.
It does appear that the rollbars are not as high and will not cover the drivers & passengers heads as say the rollbars on the Z4, TT or Boxster, but there is a structural rollbar which will provide at least some protection in event of a rollover.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Technically I don't think this is a real roll over protection bar on the Solstice. They just seem to be part of what's used to hold the skin in place on it, give it some rigidity, and made some vertical strength. To be a real roll over protection bar it has to be able to keep your head from getting crushed in the event of rolling over. This at best keeps your trunk from getting crushed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I believe you're right brentil, those things sticking up don't seem nearly high enough to afford much in the way of a rollover. I think also that they're some sort of support. I was only asking about rollbars because I'm hoping that the beautiful sheet metal doesn't have to be cut into.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you in one sense. It took me all of 30 seconds to google up pictures of Audi TTs, SLK 320s, 427 replicas, MGBs, etc. all with rollbars below the top of the heads of the normal-sized occupants. The Rolling Chassis pics on this site show a very substantial bar directly attached to the chassis. Assuming (and there is the danger) that it is thick walled and proper material for use as a rollbar, and the rolling chassis tube is somewhat accurate to what's being built, it should provide equivelant protection.

One "fact" to support you, however, is that the cutaway drawings no longer have a substantial rollbar pictured, but a thin squareish form that would have little ability to even support trunk. Honestly, I hope that its an artistic mistake because if its supposed to be a rollbar, it needs to be made of the more substantial tubing, but if its supposed to be some support structure for the decklid/humps it would have been cheaper to extend the bulkhead with stamped metal. Either way the cutaway drawing shows a pretty stupid approach, which further supports my previous caveat "they've been known to do dumber things".

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe most of the cars mentioned have active rollbars. They expand if the computer detects a rollover (?). My rollbar only cost ~$300 and this would be greatly reduced if it was mass produced for every car. So I don't think it's a matter of price. Most miata owners would prefer if the NC didn't have an active rollbar system because I'm not sure if they're legal on the track. It's much easier to add a rollbar than it is to remove the stock one and add one.

-jon (half drunk) not making much sense... zzz blah.

·
Registered
391 Posts
At the LA auto show they had a Mini Cooper that was a cut away car. It had real roll bar and the car was a convertable. They even had a cut away of the roll bar to show the internal ribbed structure of the very strong roll bar. The cooper is a VERY cheap car for a BMW so it could easly be done on the KAPPA.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts