Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have seen that bar on some Mustang verts around here. It does look good on the car. I suppose its crash worthiness would depend on what its bolted too, and how well its bolted to it.

Very nice Stang btw! :thumbs
thanks! too bad it was sold a year ago :cryin i actually cried when i heard the news.

Anyways, it is a purly cosmetic piece (and a very good looking one at that - it fits the 99-04 body style very well). it's bolted to somewhere just behind where the front seat belts are mounted to - not sure as to the rigidity of that area but the bar itself isn't strong (IIRC, mostly foam in there)...it'd probably help in a rollover as much as glass helps in stopping a bullet - slows it down some, but doesn't really do much.

kris

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah all the bars on mustangs that look like that in genenral are style bars. Same with the bar on the PT Cruiser, it's also a style bar. The only function besides design they provide is they act as air foils and help cut down turbulance in the seating area with the roof down.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes. I'll be making one no matter what. I will have to wait until I actually own a Kappa before I could possibly comment on a design. For shorter people, a behind-the-seat option is best. For those that are too tall to lose a little interior room, you'll probably have to remove the ragtop. Either solution has plenty of mounting points and are viable alternatives.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
You may be able to squeeze the bars down next to the seats along the rear bulkhead too. Without having a car to really go over, its tough to tell what space is available. As Skycap said, the best option would be to leave the seats forward of the rear bulkhead a little if at all possible. Tall drivers may get too cramped, but if the car is as spacious as indicated, many may be able to do this.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
81 - 89 of 89 Posts