Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Zolsol said:
I may have missed this info, but does the Solstice have roll bars? Could they be inside the seat or under the cowls? Anybody know?
Some GM exec on the GM Blog radio cast said the rear humps offer rollover protection. Keep in mind this is the only time we've heard that fact and we are not talking about racing level protection, merely a little extra help in that area (judging from the cutaway pictures of the structure of the humps).

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah, its not necessarily roll bars, but they have braced it so that instead of crushing your skull, you only peel back your scalp. :lol: all in all, im not too worried.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There seems to be conflicting information on those roll hoops too. The GM broadcast did say they offer protection. In the past, we have also speculated that the structure under the bodywork, as seen in GM's cutaway artist drawings (in gallery) would not be sufficient to offer protection. Either way, the A pillars should be sufficiently reinforced to offer good protection at least.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There seems to be conflicting information on those roll hoops too. The GM broadcast did say they offer protection. In the past, we have also speculated that the structure under the bodywork, as seen in GM's cutaway artist drawings (in gallery) would not be sufficient to offer protection. Either way, the A pillars should be sufficiently reinforced to offer good protection at least.
they'll give you good protection so long as your head doesnt extend above the "rollbars" take a look at the gallery and see if this means you.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
swatthefly said:
they'll give you good protection so long as your head doesnt extend above the "rollbars" take a look at the gallery and see if this means you.
Funny thing I've seen many regular looking roll bars on other cars where they don't extend too high at all (in some cases not higher then the head of driver). Makes you wonder if in a roll your head is tossed out of the way from the forces or something.

·
5,600 Posts
swatthefly said:
Just remember to draw the right line. The fact that your head is higher than the roll bar does not mean you will hit your head. The car will rest on the rollbar and the windshield header, so that is the correct line to look at your head being below for protection.

Also if the rear of the car is high enough or far enough behind you, a flipped car may rest on its windshield header and rear deck, rather than than on a rollbar.

This is all theoretical assuming the windshield frame maintains its shape after rolling and assuming the car does not flex or twist too much, and how much movement your seat belts allow. Of course, chassis flex in the Solstice should be minimal in a rollover, with that ultra-rigid frame.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I did my quadruple front-left roll in my '96 Miata with the top down, I was happily suprised with the strength of the A-pillar.

Impact was taken by windshield frame and trunk primarily.

I expect no less from the Kappa frame.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
swatthefly said:
Could this be another reason short people out live tall people?

:glol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
I thought someone mentioned possible add-on roll bars for the Sol?
With the Solstice being tageted as a Miata SCCA competitor you can bet your bottom dollar you'll see a rollbar setup sometime soon I bet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind that for SCCA racing you need a full cage, which usually requires extensive modification.

Also most of the hoop style bars you see are 'Style bars' not real roll bars, they offer no protection.

If you want to see some good examples of what a roll bar is good for, go check out the Hard Dog Roll Bar website.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I've been one of those that mentioned they would prolly be installing a rollbar in mine - just for piece of mind. Club Racing requires full cage. Autocrossing does not require any cage.

Track Days are dependent on who is running them. For track days, I'll have a roll bar installed. Prolly minimum diameter (1 1/2") four point attachment.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Guess I'm a sissy too. First real mod I plan on doing. I want to get one that supports mounting a harness to it too though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Does anyone know if this car meets the requirements for SCCA auto-crossing? I thought a roof or roll bars were required, but I have also never been to a meet and could be very wrong.

Autocross would seem to be well suited for a car with such handing ability...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
JimmyMood said:
Does anyone know if this car meets the requirements for SCCA auto-crossing? I thought a roof or roll bars were required, but I have also never been to a meet and could be very wrong.

Autocross would seem to be well suited for a car with such handing ability...
Rollbars are not required for SCCA SoloII (autox) Stock and Street Prepared. Very few if any run them because of the weight penalty.

IMHO Neither the Solstice nor the new MX-5 people are going to be happy once they see what will end up being a SCCA approved rollbar that will still allow the top to function.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...so does a caved in head

Zolsol said:
I think the humps/cowls look better than roll bars anyway. Roll bars look tacky.
Roll bars are not for looks. I wish the Sol had them. Even the mini cooper convert has roll bars.
:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts