Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any rollbar(s) on the Solstice. As a convertible, I would think it mandatory. I've noticed very obvious ones on the latest Miata (I think it was). Anyone know what the score is for the Solstice? (Incidentally, this is more my wife's concern than mine)

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are going to get involved in sanctioned racing you will have to have a rollbar installed. Otherwise it is up to you whether you want to have one or not.

Some put in what looks like a rollbar but it is called a stylebar and offers no protection whatsoever. From what I've been reading on the Miata forum, these stylebars can actually cause more 'hurt' than having nothing at all.

It looks like the seating position for the Solstice will be more 'down inside' than a Miata so I would think roll over would be less of a concern.

The wide stance and lowness to the ground should made it more 'roll' resistant, too.

But not impossible...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I believe it does have a rollbar incorporated into the design, under the softtop/trunk cover (where the humps come up behind the seats). If you see the Kappa rolling chasis, there is definately a bar with two humps coming up on it in that location. Its just bolted to the top of the frame, and does not appear to offer any other function than to provide some level of rollover protection. I'll see if I can find a pic for you to inspect:

edit:
Here is a good pick of the back end of the rolling chasis and this bar.

Now, its not real high, and does not appear to even top the seats, but it would still be better than having zero protection.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
My contacts say the real bar is not intended for roll - it is merely a support for the panel that forms the non-moveable body part behind the seat (the beginning of the humps).

This bar shown on the pic by FFormula88 is about 3 times larger than the real bar that is there in the production car.

If it did have rollover protection function, it would have to clear the head by some margin, which it clearly does not.

Rollover protection is not mandatory on specifically-designed convertibles. I'm going on what I've been told, but supposedly if you design a car to be a hardtop with convertible option, rollover protection is mandatory after a certain model year (1998? I really don't know..) in the convertible model option.

The miata and honda S2000 are designed as convertibles, therefore have no mandatory rollover protection requirements. I think (guessing here) the 'vette is a hardtop with a convertible option, so it has some minimal degree of rollover strength in the header/w'shield for the convertible.

I am speculating that the Solstice is in the Miata/S2000 category and is not subject to rollover protection requirements.

Doesn't the BMWZ4 boast some protection or something? 'Course, paying almost $50K for a convertible I'd expect SOMETHING for my money.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
solsticeman said:
Rollover protection is not mandatory on specifically-designed convertibles. I'm going on what I've been told, but supposedly if you design a car to be a hardtop with convertible option, rollover protection is mandatory after a certain model year (1998? I really don't know..) in the convertible model option.

The miata and honda S2000 are designed as convertibles, therefore have no mandatory rollover protection requirements. I think (guessing here) the 'vette is a hardtop with a convertible option, so it has some minimal degree of rollover strength in the header/w'shield for the convertible.

I am speculating that the Solstice is in the Miata/S2000 category and is not subject to rollover protection requirements.

Doesn't the BMWZ4 boast some protection or something? 'Course, paying almost $50K for a convertible I'd expect SOMETHING for my money.
Interesting, thanks never knew that. I wonder what the theory is behind that? Cars designed to be convertibles are more rigid in body. Those hardtops converted to convertibles need extra engineering to gain additional rigidity so they are more likely to roll over (guess)?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Regulations

§ 571.216 Standard No. 216; Roof crush resistance.

S1. Scope. This standard establishes strength requirements for the passenger compartment roof.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce deaths and injuries due to the crushing of the roof into the occupant compartment in rollover crashes.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, and to multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses with a GVWR of 2722 kilograms or less. However, it does not apply to --

(a) School buses;

(b) Vehicles that conform to the rollover test requirements (S5.3) of Standard No. 208 (§ 571.208) by means that require no action by vehicle occupants; or

(c) Convertibles, except for optional compliance with the standard as an alternative to the rollover test requirements in S5.3 of Standard No. 208.

here's the link:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rulesregs/fmcsr/regs/571.216.htm

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think all new convertables are built now with a very beefy crush resistant "A" pillar. It does not offer the protection that a roll bar does, but it allows a little "duck" room and keeps people from being trapped under an overturned car. I think that convertables are exempt from regular roll over regs because they seldom roll over due to thier lower center of gravity. It's not impossible to roll a Solstice, just unlikely.

A more pressing saftey issue might be getting hit in the side of the head with an SUV bumber!

While we're on the subject of safety, does anyone know what this European "Pedestrian Safety Standard" thing is that people are saying will keep the Vauxhall VX from being made? What are they going to do, put pillows all over thier cars, or orange flags on all four corners of low slung cars for visability? I don't get it. I'm so glad I don't live in Europe. :patriot

·
Registered
275 Posts
Heck my Fiero needs flags so SUVs can see me :smile

BTW you can flip almost anything if you hit a curb (kerb for those over there) travelling sideways. Prolly the stock cars will have massive understeer built in.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am disappointed to see the production version's bar will be smaller, and not offer rollover protection. I would think any new convertable made would be designed with rollover protection a high priority. Even super strong A pillers can crush, as they are stong but only braced from one spot.

padgett said:
Heck my Fiero needs flags so SUVs can see me :smile

BTW you can flip almost anything if you hit a curb (kerb for those over there) travelling sideways. Prolly the stock cars will have massive understeer built in.
Rollovers generally occur in a trafic accident, either by a vehicle that gets hit and pushed over, or a vehicle that hits something else, "trips" and rolls. The higher the vehicle, the more likely it is to go, but I would not say a sports car will almost never roll. Something as innocent as going off the highway and hitting the grass could easily spin and or trip a car.

They should design rollbars into any convertable today. 2 seaters wouldn't be that hard as you can have hoops right behind the front seats. 4 seaters may be more of a challenge, but I would think it would also be more important since those back seat passengers are a long way from that reinforced a pillar.

PS, my Fiero needs flags to avoid being run off the road by cars. For SUV's, nothing short of a flashing strope and siren will do! :lol

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
A trip to the junkyard, a few horns from a Caddie or two and maybe a G-van, and voila! Instant AUDIBILITY for your Fiero. If they can't see you, they should at least s**t their pants before they run you over... :lol

Only problem is sometimes it pops the fuse, or at night makes the lights dim.

PS: Even if the roll bars were large enough, they are below your head anyway and wouldn't do much for you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
AeroDave said:
While we're on the subject of safety, does anyone know what this European "Pedestrian Safety Standard" thing is that people are saying will keep the Vauxhall VX from being made? What are they going to do, put pillows all over thier cars, or orange flags on all four corners of low slung cars for visability? I don't get it. I'm so glad I don't live in Europe. :patriot
Here's what Europe's doing for their new safety standards. I present the Fiat Trepiuno (a.k.a. the Marshmallow on Wheels).

http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/vehicle.asp?car_id=7858&vehicleTypeID=

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow...that looks like it would hurt less if I got hit by that walking around Europe :devil

Maybe it's designed to scare people away so they don't get hit :lol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That Fiat looks kinda like those talking Chevron cars! Maybe it's made of clay and just conforms to your body shape when you're hit. Acctualy it looks like Europe is going retro too... looks like the old Fiat 500s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Imagine if cars aged as people do...

A mini, young and virile.

But aged a few years and the roof is receding, things settle and now the bottom is much wider than the top and the chiseled good looks have given way to soft rounded edges... Our Mini has become an old f... iat. :lol

(Hmmm. Not sure if this is working. I have a picture of a Mini next to the Fiat. I don't see it in preview post. Fingers crossed, submitting anyway...)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts