Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Car & Driver TV this weekend and they said that Mazda is planning on putting the Rotory engine in the Miata. Now that will be a great roadster.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AJC said:
I was watching Car & Driver TV this weekend and they said that Mazda is planning on putting the Rotory engine in the Miata. Now that will be a great roadster.
Yeah, we touched on this kinda. I was really stoked at the idea, but apparently people have found more info saying it wont be, then it will be. Personally I thought it would be awesome since it's such a small, light engine, that actually sits way lower in the car then a standard engine greatly lowering the center of gravity. Gues they would have to change it from MX-5 to the RX-5 then. :D

I think the main problem would be is it would require such great changes to the engine bay layout to allow the rotary and standard enignes to sit in the same chasis that it would really only be feasable to stick with only rotary or only normal engines. Especially on a car that's low volume compared to their other cars.

Personally I think it would be great way for them to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brentil said:
Yeah, we touched on this kinda. I was really stoked at the idea, but apparently people have found more info saying it wont be, then it will be. Personally I thought it would be awesome since it's such a small, light engine, that actually sits way lower in the car then a standard engine greatly lowering the center of gravity. Gues they would have to change it from MX-5 to the RX-5 then. :D

I think the main problem would be is it would require such great changes to the engine bay layout to allow the rotary and standard enignes to sit in the same chasis that it would really only be feasable to stick with only rotary or only normal engines. Especially on a car that's low volume compared to their other cars.

Personally I think it would be great way for them to go.
The Rotary engine is very small and you would think it should fit with no problem. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Autoweek reports its RX-8 test car oil level can drop as fast as the fuel level. (1/17/2005) We all hoped that the rotary engines were tighter than when they first came out. I'm not spending my money on a rotary yet.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AstroDriver said:
Autoweek reports its RX-8 test car oil level can drop as fast as the fuel level. (1/17/2005) We all hoped that the rotary engines were tighter than when they first came out. I'm not spending my money on a rotary yet.
Was this just with the test car they drove? Because I've haven't heard of anyone I know who owns a RX-8 complain about oil loss.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have heard some stories of some oil loss/burning in some rotaries, but I suspect they are not the norm. Its hard to tell, because even when there is a minor problem afflicting a small number of cars, those that have it get very loud and vocal about it. Still, the RX-8 has been out for a while and there doesn’t seem to be any wide spread complaints.

Some of the concern might be as much from people knowing what happened in the past and being so fearful it will happen again that they are looking for problems that are not there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had many 1st generation RX-7's and they all burned some oil - 1 quart for every 2,500 miles - not to bad. The 1st generation RX-7's were a great car.
I preordered a 2004 RX-8 and waited 6 months for it. When it finally came in I drove to the dealer in my 1985 RX-7 to test-drive it. I took it for a ride & said to the salesman "give me my deposit back - I'll keep my 85 RX-7". The RX-8 is a nice car but lost the RX feel.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AJC said:
I had many 1st generation RX-7's and they all burned some oil - 1 quart for every 2,500 miles - not to bad. The 1st generation RX-7's were a great car.
I preordered a 2004 RX-8 and waited 6 months for it. When it finally came in I drove to the dealer in my 1985 RX-7 to test-drive it. I took it for a ride & said to the salesman "give me my deposit back - I'll keep my 85 RX-7". The RX-8 is a nice car but lost the RX feel.
Thats interesting to hear because it seems the RX-8 has gotten really good reviews for being a fun drivers car. How didn't it hold up to your expectations? Has it gotten too big (long) to feel as quick on its feet?

·
Registered
120 Posts
AstroDriver said:
I have also heard that the RX-8 is thirsty for oil (I read this in several car magazines' long-term tests as well as user reviews at Edmunds). One car magazine/site actually joked that the RX-8 will never need an oil change because it always has relatively fresh oil from the last time it was topped up.

Road & Track
"We also had to add two quarts of oil in the first 3800 miles, but that kind of consumption is fairly common for rotary engines."

Road & Track
"It’s still gulping down oil fairly quickly"

Edmunds
"...the "low oil" light came on intermittently... it was indeed low on the slippery stuff... the fact that we had to add any at all so early in its lifetime was a little troubling to say the least. Fellow RX-8 owners claim that this is normal..."

(Alas, I can't seem to find the link to the one with the funny comment about not needing to change the oil... maybe I read it in a car magazine that was actually printed on dead trees...)

I don't believe it's a problem with the engine leaking or a sign of poor engine quality though. Mazda's stance has been that this is normal for a rotary and is to be expected. Seems like a very cool car but I'm also curious to hear what you didn't like about it, AJC.

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Thats interesting to hear because it seems the RX-8 has gotten really good reviews for being a fun drivers car. How didn't it hold up to your expectations? Has it gotten too big (long) to feel as quick on its feet?
Maybe it just lacks the character that made the original such a gem. Nobody can design that elusive intangible. A car just with it or it doesn't. It makes you want to drive it and keep on driving.

Can it be that too many modern sports cars are too smooth and predictable with all the character designed out of them? Like an engine with a perfect torque curve. You get great numbers but it just doesn't seem fun. Take the Honda Vtec, where all of a sudden it kicks in like a turbo. That's character. S2000 owners love that engine.

Maybe the RX-8 is too over-engineered, too smooth.

There is something to be said in favor of a car a little rough on the edges that makes you feel like you are going faster than you reall are. Too many cars these days are so smooth and quiet, it takes away from the experience. Maybe people want a little bit of that Lotus Elise experience.

Weird, huh?
:crazy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jimbo said:
Maybe it just lacks the character that made the original such a gem. Nobody can design that elusive intangible. A car just with it or it doesn't. It makes you want to drive it and keep on driving.

Can it be that too many modern sports cars are too smooth and predictable with all the character designed out of them? Like an engine with a perfect torque curve. You get great numbers but it just doesn't seem fun. Take the Honda Vtec, where all of a sudden it kicks in like a turbo. That's character. S2000 owners love that engine.

Maybe the RX-8 is too over-engineered, too smooth.

There is something to be said in favor of a car a little rough on the edges that makes you feel like you are going faster than you reall are. Too many cars these days are so smooth and quiet, it takes away from the experience. Maybe people want a little bit of that Lotus Elise experience.

Weird, huh?
:crazy
:agree Well said!

I've had many 1st generation RX-7 / 300ZX. They are fun cars to drive. They have a unique feel when driving them. I currently own a 85 RX-7 with 38K in mint condition & 89 300ZX with 90K mint condition. I pre-ordered a 2004 RX-8 and waited 6 months for the car. When it came in I drove my 85 RX-7 to the Mazda dealer to test drive my RX-8. We took the RX-8 for a ride and when we got back I said to the Salesman "give me my deposit back - I'll keep my 85 RX-7". The RX-8 was very nice but like you said "to smooth and it lost the feel".

I hope the Solstice has it's own unique feel that makes it fun to drive.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mags have complained about fuel economy as well, recording an avg of 16 or so in Autoweek. Terrible for a small car.

Rotaries are known to last a long time, mainly due to their few moving parts (no valvetrain). Racers run engines for several race seasons with only oil changes and minimal regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just Putting this out there to see if anyone would weigh in. What are your thoughts on a 4 rotor solstice? Engineering nightmare? Yes. But what do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts