Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I need new rotors to pass Maryland Safety Inspection (originals are too corroded to grind / machine). I am looking at AC Delco Gold/Professional. Is it worth the extra money for drilled/slotted? I'm not ever going to race it, just drive it enthusiastically.

The AC Delco Gold come to $148 total; Power Stop has a set of Evolution drilled / slotted for $233. The Power Stops are also zinc-coated, not sure if the AC Delco are coated.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can always check out R1 Concepts as well. Believe they offer a good price on their Geomet rotors. I picked up a slotted rear set for $76. I bought the slotted to match the big brake kit on the front. Honestly, the whole drilled and slotted thing is probably more for looks these days. Also went with Hawk brake pads over the Power Stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Turns out the AC Delco Gold are coated for corrosion protection, and they are pretty well rated, so I think I will go with them. Drilled and slotted looks / sounds cool, but I don't think I need them (but I will look at the R1s before I decide).

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Unless you track your car...drilled will cost you money. They act like sandpaper on your pads. No need for slotted. I didn't know this. I bought them and installed them, then went to work for a pad manufacturer.... Drilled will reduce your pad life by up to 1/2...even more with certain types of pads (ceramic).

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Plus drilled have been known to promote cracking. No downside to slotted that I know of (except price).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts