Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Sorry if this sounds all too familiar, I did do a bit of forum searching before posting, didn't see anything that quite matched our symptoms.

The last couple of months I'd noticed that the idle speed was inconsistent, sometimes rising and falling over a few seconds of time.

Yesterday she started idling real rough, missing and almost dying, and when decelerating at slow rpms she will back fire.

She runs like a scalded dog WOT with no problems. No codes are being triggered. Any ideas on what's causing the problem.

Service history: Last year we had the high pressure fuel pump go out, it was replaced under warranty.

2008 GXP w/GMPP tune. 20K miles.

Thanks in advance for any feedback comments on possible resolution. Ironically our warranty expired in July. :(

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Check your plugs.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If your warranty expired in July and you haven't put a pile of miles on since then i'd be taking it to the dealer and seeing if they can take care of it. I know here they will often do that.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Leak in the air charge system may cause symptoms without throwing a code. But given the severity you have now, it should start throwing a code soon; if that is it.

LV's suggestion of checking the plugs is a good one.

A failing cam solenoid could also be the culprit. But should also throw code soon.

And of course, if you have not soldered the connections for the 3 Bar sensor harnesses yet, then that could definitely be your problem. (if GMPP tune was dealership installed-they used the stupid crimp connectors-and it seems like they always fail after about a year)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all for the response.

Yes, dealer installed GMPP tune, no I haven't soldered the connections yet.

I'm thinking a trip to the dealer may be the ticket.

CAM Sensor failure, is this one of those items that if not properly installed can cause problems elsewhere...I seem to recall reading something if not installed correctly causing a whinning sound, think that was a water pump issue.

Is the CAM sensor an external engine component or will they have to crack open the engine to get to it?

EDIT: reading a thread here on a CAM shaft positioner, not sure if this is the same thing or not, they're discussing the wrong motor oil viscocity causing problems and throwing a code. I did have the dealer change the oil a couple months back (new dealer, just moved to the area), I did request Mobil 1 but they may have used Dino oil.

TIA

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I would take to the dealer and have them solder the connections and check for any codes. Sometimes you can see a code without it triggering check engine light.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't drive it to work yesterday, I had my wife follow me to the dealer last evening to drop it off...it ran fan all the way there (about 6 miles).

Rather than leaving it at the dealer I filled the tank from a station that I normally use, the last tank was from a mom and pop grocery convenience store that may not have a high turn over rate for their premium.

Drove the car to work this morning, 35 miles, without incident.

Two days ago when I pulled it into the garage when it was running rough I put an obd2 reader on the car, it did not see any codes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
edit:

Another day has transpired, she ran fine all the way home last evening and purred like a kitten on the way to work this morning.

I hate intermittent problems...

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Could've been a tank of bad gas from the mom&pop. Here's hoping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts