Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new information from a reliable source on the "fit" problems reported last week by GM.

I am told that the "fit" problems are that they are having trouble making the can of fix-o-flat "fit" in the trunk.

At this point I'm told that the engineers' recommendation has been to have a small hump in the center of the passenger seat that will hold the fix-o-flat and any other storage items (such as a single key) you may need to stow.

:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Used to be you only needed room for a dime for the call home. Now you need room for your cell phone too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
As reported, my sources confirmed the fit problems all concern the front fascia and the folding top. It all started when the folded top wouldn't fit into the trunk. So they moved the can of Fix-a-Flat from the trunk to near the radiator. That was an easy fix till the heat from the radiator caused the cans to explode. Have you ever seen what tire sealant does when sucked into the air intake! So now the front fascia is being re-designed to allow airflow to keep the cans cool. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
568 Posts
First thing i'm doing is putting the fix a flat back in the trunk!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
DreamerDave said:
As reported, my sources confirmed the fit problems all concern the front fascia and the folding top. It all started when the folded top wouldn't fit into the trunk. So they moved the can of Fix-a-Flat from the trunk to near the radiator. That was an easy fix till the heat from the radiator caused the cans to explode. Have you ever seen what tire sealant does when sucked into the air intake! So now the front fascia is being re-designed to allow airflow to keep the cans cool. :lol:

I cant tell if this is a joke or not? I would never put a can of fix a flat next to the raidator? Heck out in CA a can of fix a flat could blow just sitting on the street (Death Vally for sure), without the extra heat of the radiator.

But if they are not going to put the gas tank were it should be (in the rear bulk head) then they should just (ya I know it is easier said than done, but you gotta do what ya gotta do) make a "dent" behind the driver seat like the one behind the pass seat for the "Sub Speaker?". That way the driver can just flip the seat forward and "BAM" a can of "Fix my Flat" and a few extra inches of storage space. :confused:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
I have new information from a reliable source on the "fit" problems reported last week by GM.

I am told that the "fit" problems are that they are having trouble making the can of fix-o-flat "fit" in the trunk.

At this point I'm told that the engineers' recommendation has been to have a small hump in the center of the passenger seat that will hold the fix-o-flat and any other storage items (such as a single key) you may need to stow.

:)
The fit problem arose when they learned there was too much demand for Brentil's pink boots to ingore. Since the boots took up most of the trunk as it is, they just had to relocate the fix a flat!

:jester: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Yeah, the earlier test mules had the old fix a flat with the propane propellant. When those exploded into the intake, the cars accelerated uncontrollably. Bad news, they crashed. Good news, the press reported it as a new forced induction Solstice! :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
That's too funny...The can of "fix" can't be the problem. This has to be a joke. If so, does that mean you can't put a bag of golf clubs in the "trunk" with the top down? I remember hearing one bag with the top down and two bags with the top up!

Maybe they will have to change the literature to say "One bag of golf clubs with the top down*" ...... * As long as you remove the can of "fix a flat"!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
I have new information from a reliable source on the "fit" problems reported last week by GM.

I am told that the "fit" problems are that they are having trouble making the can of fix-o-flat "fit" in the trunk.

At this point I'm told that the engineers' recommendation has been to have a small hump in the center of the passenger seat that will hold the fix-o-flat and any other storage items (such as a single key) you may need to stow.

:)
<shakes head>...

<re-reads. shakes head again>

FOAFOAFOAF? Some source you have there. :rolleyes:

Unless you are joking, in which case I totally missed your sarcasm.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The fit problem arose when they learned there was too much demand for Brentil's pink boots to ingore. Since the boots took up most of the trunk as it is, they just had to relocate the fix a flat!

:jester: :lol:
Man, I hope I get my name and emoticon :brentil: embroidered on those boots. Pontiac better not forget to send me my royalty check too. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
package said:
Can a golf bag be fitted with fix-a-flat?
Per info out there, it is assumed that if the fix-a-flat is in the same place, they would have had to test fit the bag WITH it in location. (otherwise they'd be lying to us, right?).

So, shaking my magic 8 ball:

"all signs point to yes"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
brentil said:
Man, I hope I get my name and emoticon :brentil: embroidered on those boots. Pontiac better not forget to send me my royalty check too. :D
The solution to the can of fix-a-flat is that EVERY car will come with the pink boots so you can hoof it to the nearest service station in any weather!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
inflatable?

Maybe the golf bag they are refering to is an inflatable golf bag with folding clubs. You use the fix-a-flat to inflate the bag and I am pretty sure the boots are for the bull**** from Pontiac when it starts to get deep. It will be like my Corvair, you had to put the spare tire in the front trunk as to keep it from dry rotting from the heat of the engine, Where they had the brilliant idea to put it! :lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
solsticeman said:
Per info out there, it is assumed that if the fix-a-flat is in the same place, they would have had to test fit the bag WITH it in location. (otherwise they'd be lying to us, right?).

So, shaking my magic 8 ball:

"all signs point to yes"
Do you know what type of system (mechanics) they are using for the flat fix?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,206 Posts
GNS said:
Do you know what type of system (mechanics) they are using for the flat fix?
We'll know for sure soon enough, but it is my understanding from one of my contacts that it is basically a non-pressurized container of fix-a-flat, coupled with a built-in pump that plugs in your 12V recepticle. If you get a flat, you pull this thing out, screw it into your valve stem, plug it in and wait for it to pump the goop in and inflate the tire. There might be some issue with driving it (like the manual glop-in system that the SSR, C5 Z06, and RX-8 have - those systems you have to remove the valve stem, and squirt the goop in manually). Driving it after the goop is pumped in distributes it in the tire and seals the hole, after which you can plug this thing back on and pump up the tire.

Reason they use that is it is not possible to guarantee the integrity of a pressurized canister (like you buy at the store) for the life of a car against moisture and condensation/corrosion, nor the temperature fluctuations that a car may see throughout it's lifetime. Most of your store-bought pressurized cans of fix-o-flat say right on them not to exceed 120 deg F - and the interior of a car can exceed that under the right conditions. Also the propellant in those systems is usually butane (so a word of caution for folks who carry a can around in your car - you've got a can of butane and semi-flammable rubber-based goop in a can under pressure. Be careful and replace it every year, if you know what's good for you ;) ).

That's what I've been able to piece together from multiple sources, but who knows, they may change back to the Corvette/SSR/RX-8 system for all I know. I'm quite sure, given the explanation above, that it is NOT a pressurized aerosol canister like you buy at an auto parts store.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top