Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Officially - nothing.

Unofficially - there is a rumor, supposedly from someone who works for GM. Nothing is verified at this point.

I won't believe it until I receive an official letter from GM.

:dunno:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
BTW, big THANK YOU to Robotech for making this happen.

GM Recall #:N172080280
NHTSA #
AWAITING#
Date Issued:Jan 26, 2017

Recall Title:
2006-2010 MY Pontiac Solstice, Saturn SKY - Passenger presence system (PPS)

Recall Description:
TBD

Safety Risk Description:
If an active fault exists in the PPS system and a crash occurs, the SDM will not deploy the front passenger airbag. If an adult is occupying the passenger seat, the suppression of the front passenger airbag could increase the risk of injury to the passenger.

Repair Description:
Remedy plans are currently under review. GM will supplement this information when remedy plans are finalized.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hi Ho Hi Ho, off to the dealer we go.

Got to love the forum members.

Thanks for the update REDONE07.

Just checked and my Canadian Coupe 379 now has this recall listed.
Hope the fix is available soon and we can put this problem to rest.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
BTW, does anyone know if customers who have already paid for a recall repair are reimbursed?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
No one will know for sure yet, but with other recalls that HAS been the case.
The problem here is that the people who have replaced their broken sensor with a replacement cushion/sensor have replaced a defective part with a defective part, and will still need to replace the replacement cushion/sensor.

It's too early to even guess what GM's position will be on reimbursement, re-repair and/or re-replacement.

Wait for the remedy plan to be announced.

:yay:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I hope they will go for the simple solution. No recall, simply free repairs when the problem occurs.
Maybe I read it wrong, but it seems that would be replacing the seat sensor after you had an accident and your passenger's air bag didn't go off?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Ho Hi Ho, off to the dealer we go.

Got to love the forum members.

Thanks for the update REDONE07.

Just checked and my Canadian Coupe 379 now has this recall listed.
Hope the fix is available soon and we can put this problem to rest.
Note there is no official recall yet because they have no remedy. We need to wait until the recall is announced with a remedy and details on the recall.

BTW, does anyone know if customers who have already paid for a recall repair are reimbursed?
Usually, so long as you have proof of paying for the repair, you can get reimbursed. Like was mentioned though, we don't know that for sure until the recall is finalized.

You can also type in your VIN on the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.gov) and you can see the info on the recall too.

I'm pretty excited about the news! It's about time.

As for replacing broken sensors and not issuing a recall, that just doesn't happen. If GM knows this part can fail and they admit it shouldn't fail like it is by replacing broken parts at no charge to the customer outside of their warranty, they now open themselves up for lawsuits. If they don't issue a recall (in some scope) and just replace damaged sensors, if someone is injured due to their sensor failing shortly before the accident in which the passenger was injured they are open to a HUGE lawsuit since they knew about the problem and didn't issue a recall to fix it proactively.

No, this needs a recall.

Reactions: sirwm

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Note there is no official recall yet because they have no remedy. We need to wait until the recall is announced with a remedy and details on the recall.
I'm somewhat confused as to why GM would issue and post a recall number before announcing an official recall.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac Solstice N/A
83 Posts
The problem here is that the people who have replaced their broken sensor with a replacement cushion/sensor have replaced a defective part with a defective part, and will still need to replace the replacement cushion/sensor.
Can't wait to see how they work that one out. Time to dig out my old invoice...

Also: about freaking time.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I'm somewhat confused as to why GM would issue and post a recall number before announcing an official recall.
I think we are having a semantics issue here.

Is it an official recall? Yes it is. But it is an "incomplete" recall, as the remedy plan has not been decided by GM yet. It appears that all the Solstices and Skys will be covered, we just don't know yet how GM will be doing whatever it is that they plan on doing. That part of the recall is just about as clear as mud.

Don't hold your breath, but this will be cleared up, and probably sooner than later.

:thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Can't wait to see how they work that one out. Time to dig out my old invoice...

Also: about freaking time.
One would assume that GM will reimburse anyone who had to replace their seat cushion/pad outside of warranty, as well as then replacement/repair with a newer, presumably safer part.

We'll just have to wait to see how GM plans to handle the recall, when they announce that part of the plan. Until then, we don't know anything.

:dunno:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would also be concerned about those that have not had a problem YET and have modified their seats by installing seat heaters.

I have no problem if I had to reinstall the seat heater, but "voiding" the recall by having non-stock parts on the seat. There is always red-tape to minimize their financial loss.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
The new one will get here about the time all the cars quit or we die.

This is good and it is bad. If you have one fail in the state of California, and don't have it fixed, do they stop your registration. Did it on my FJ as I ignored a safetybelt recall. Had to do with pulling the seat belt in on exiting the car. Mine worked perfectly so did not concern myself. So if the state finds out about it, will they stop you from driving it on the street by refusing to issue registration? I wouldn't put anything past this bucket of snakes out here.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ChopTop, I imagine that this is the first step in announcing a recall and that normally we're not privy to this information regularly.

I think what is really important about this, and what I am most satisfied to see, is that this is an admission by GM that yes, there is a safety issue that we believe warrants a recall on these cars. They have admitted to that on what we've seen on this recall so far. Now they need to figure out a proper fix for it and how the recall will proceed...those come after this "yea, we got a problem" part. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts