Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a dealer and was at our dealer business meetings last week. These are the meetings that they tell us abut the direction that GM is going and what not. The Pontiac Solstice will only be produced up to 9000 units. What this means is that ALLOT of people wil not be getting 2006 Solstice's aand May not even get 07 Solstices. You do the math. roughly 3000 pontiac dealerships over 15000+ orders in and 9000 being built not good.

Sorry to post the bad news but I figured someone should keep you guys in the loop.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So instead of 20,000 a year there will only be 9000 per year?

I thought there were only 9k-10k orders not including the 1st 1k? I guess quite a few people have ordered their cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are only building 9000 do not know about 2007 model year build yet. There was over 13000 ordered as of the EOP. My dealership alone has over 38 on order that we will probably not even see... Very frustrating :devil:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hmm, alright then! I'm glad I'm in the first allocation :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Product cut

I am going to wait patiently until March...if I don't have a solstice by then, it will just confirm my hesitation to buy american again, I'll buy a german car and will be out of the market for a long time.

Hopefully, that won't happen, but I do believe that everything happens for a reason.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
We talked about this in a couple of other threads. Could have something to do with this year only being a half year production and possibly starting new model year in calendar 2007?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm wondering if it's 20K Solstice/Sky/Opel combined units per year? If so, GM is going to really piss off a bunch of people.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LBJay said:
I'm wondering if it's 20K Solstice/Sky/Opel combined units per year? If so, GM is going to really piss off a bunch of people.
They had been quoting the 20k for Solstice long before Sky and Opel. Gotta figure this is a misunderstanding of some kind.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Numbers Don't match Published Ones

LBJay said:
GM LineDog did say they were hand making the suckers, so that doesn't sound like something you can crank up the speed on quickly.

But this information just doesn't jibe with the numbers we have been hearing;
4-5000k trying for first 1000, 6500 by the end of April, 7100 by May 16, 8100 mid June and 9100 mid July.

Question when are new cars built? Traditional GM line switchover is first two weeks in July, so up to the end of June they are building current models??

That would mean they have almost a full year to produce Solstices, but the current rate of production is 17 cars per day or aboout 4200 per year.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Another cook theory: :willy:

These are Mazda dealers trying to shake loose some of the sales of the Solstice. It's gotta suck when you totally redesign a car and all everyone is talking about is a new Pontiac.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would like to hear small dealer or Gmline dog's input on this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also at a dealership and I have not heard a thing about this. Where can I find this info so I can confirm. The way GM is promoting the Solstice I think this is not true.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
GM is most definitely not going to only produce 9000 Sols per calendar year. That would be one more nail in their coffin. Only possibility I agree with is that 9000 Sols will be built before 12/31 and all will be 2006 models. Everything after 01/06 will then be 2007 or later. They won't walk away from the number of confirmed oeders we've heard about.

·
Registered
763 Posts
chitowna34dr said:
I am also at a dealership and I have not heard a thing about this. Where can I find this info so I can confirm. The way GM is promoting the Solstice I think this is not true.
EXACTLY, why promote when you cant meet demand? Obviously GM can and does plan on making alot of Solstices in fact 20000 per year.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
stang said:
Another cook theory: :willy:

These are Mazda dealers trying to shake loose some of the sales of the Solstice. It's gotta suck when you totally redesign a car and all everyone is talking about is a new Pontiac.

My local dealer is a Pontiac/Mazda dealer. He wins either way. ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
EXACTLY, why promote when you cant meet demand? Obviously GM can and does plan on making a lot of Solstices in fact 20000 per year.
Yep, why the full page ad in USA Today? If it's the truth, I think this car would do more to hurt GM than to help. It would provide fuel for those who say that GM screws up everything. If GM checks this forum, I think they would be wise to step up and let us all know what the truth is. If these are rumors they can be even more damaging than the truth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No offense intended to the many fine folks in this forum who own, operate or work at automobile dealerships... but in my experience, there's no bigger source of misinformation about automakers' current or future plans than the "scuttlebutt" you hear at a dealership.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Based on everything I have seen and heard up to this point, this information sounds like it is being interpreted incorrectly. I am yet to see a smidge of information stating Solstice production has been permanently cut.

My suspicion is that 2005 Calender Year Solstice production has been cut from it's original estimate, based largely on the delays of getting production started. If the start was originally planned for mid May, they have lost 2+ months of production time while they worked out the bugs. These would also be two months of high production volume, since they still have to do the initial ramp up to start.

So, they simply cannot build as many cars in 2005 (calender year) which pushes back delivery of the first 4 month allocation, and may push some of the 9000 orders they already have back into calender year 2006.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts