Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recent views or experience with run-flats on a Solstice? I note that most comments are five years old and I believe there have been significant improvements in design and manufacture of no-flats.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's interesting you bring that up.. I was just thinking the other day that since my 07 GXP was my 80 mile per day commuter, that wouldn't it be nice to not be stranded in the event of a tire puncture or blow out. I was doing some on-line research as to run flat tires and found very few options on the market. As you pointed out, in the past the run flat tires got pretty well panned by the performance community. I haven't seen any ads for run flat tires in several years, so I figured the idea was more or less half baked anyway.

In the meantime, besides the GM supplied cheesy air pump(tm), I have one of those rubber plug kits in my "trunk" with the air pump. I've become pretty fast at plugging radial tires, considering my wife seems to be good at running over nails and screws with her Fiat 500. In the time it takes me to remove a wheel, remove a potential spare, then put it back on the car, I can remove the sharp object and insert a rubber plug. Plus the plug kit takes up far less space than even a compact spare used in many cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A friend of mine has a Saturn Sky. He said that his wife had a flat on theirs and the run-flat tire did well getting her to the service station to have it repaired.

I have been wondering about what kind of replacment tires are best myself. My 2009 GXP has 32K+ miles so it will be due soon. Fortunitely I have not had any flats.

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
They cost a pot more than standard tires, are heavier and last time I checked we're one use. Not repairable. Which makes sense as they are basically a tire inside a tire.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have been using Goodyears 245/40ZR18's for a little over 2 years now and have been to FL. 3 times and Ca. once and Mo. once. They are a little louder on the road noise and a lot stiffer on bumps. I don't drive in any competition events nor drive on a public road like I am in one. I have roughly 16K on them now and they still have plenty of life left in them. Will I replace them with more ZR's when I need to replace? I am not sure. I still have the stock tires stored in garage.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Expect to pay about $100 more per tire and make your ride feel like crap.
I am not a fan of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tried run flats and switched back since run flats where so rough on the cars ride.

It's interesting you bring that up.. I was just thinking the other day that since my 07 GXP was my 80 mile per day commuter, that wouldn't it be nice to not be stranded in the event of a tire puncture or blow out. I was doing some on-line research as to run flat tires and found very few options on the market. As you pointed out, in the past the run flat tires got pretty well panned by the performance community. I haven't seen any ads for run flat tires in several years, so I figured the idea was more or less half baked anyway.

In the meantime, besides the GM supplied cheesy air pump(tm), I have one of those rubber plug kits in my "trunk" with the air pump. I've become pretty fast at plugging radial tires, considering my wife seems to be good at running over nails and screws with her Fiat 500. In the time it takes me to remove a wheel, remove a potential spare, then put it back on the car, I can remove the sharp object and insert a rubber plug. Plus the plug kit takes up far less space than even a compact spare used in many cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have run flat Michelin Pilots. I love them. They ride well, handle well and I am so glad I don't have to worry about my expensive rims and my piece of mind.

CA Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts