Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tire dealer offering RS-A runflats for only $9.00 per tire more than the standard tire. With no spare woundn't it have made more sense to put these on, and probably at wholesale to Pontiac the difference is even smaller? :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sure, only trade off is harsher ride I've heard.

·
Registered
256 Posts
mceb said:
Sure, only trade off is harsher ride I've heard.
You hit the nail on the head. EMT's (Extended mileage tires, like they put O/E on the Vette) have a sidewall that is mammoth in thickness compared to the standard RS-A. It is the sidewall that allows you to drive for a longer distance with no air in the tire. I know how rigid they are, i changed tires all through high school.

·
Registered
527 Posts
heavier too, if you're worried at all about performance.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Not only heavier, but depending on how they are set up, the steering can be objectionably vague or light. Rough road grip is also affected. I understand that the increased weight and inertia can mess with Antilock brake tuning and increase wheel-locking propensity on low coefficient friction surfaces.

If you were going to go with run-flats, I'd actually try the corvette tire first (40 series), but still expect that you may run into handling and rough road grip problems.

I was told by a couple of the people who work on the Kappa that if you want to experience what run-flats are like, take your car and put the pressure in your tires to about 43 PSI. If you do so, BE VERY CAREFUL until you get used to it. If you think you can live with that "feel" then go ahead and buy the RS-A run-flats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts