Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back from a 45 minute drive and went into the local car wash. As I checked the DIC I noticed the engine temp at 214... I have never seen it more than 200 on a hot summer day. It quickly dropped to 192 in a few minutes after the wash... normally it sits steady at 194 or so. Should I have it checked???

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
I think that it is something that I would keep an eye on but it does not sound like a major issue. I have seem both my N/A Solstice and GXP do spikes like that but then return to normal. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine at times has reached 219, I have never had a car that ran that hot, and I was worried, but after 10,000 miles the temp rarely gets above 190 so I figured it was all a part of braking it in, and since I have run nothing but synthetic oil in it, it may have taken a bit longer too brake in.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
245 and the dash light will come on.
220 or less isn't an issue. Not enough to send it in yet. Keep and eye on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guess I will just leave the temp on the DIC for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have been watching the coolant temp and it appears the cars have a 200 degree thermostat. When at speed and with cool weather the indicator should stay at or close to 200. I believe 50/50 coolant under pressure should boil at about 250, therefore, 210-220 should not be an issue if it comes down at low speed or idle. The cars very well could run 220 or more if on a road couse.

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
I do not think so, is more like a 180 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your right on Shabby.........this is normal, auto fan bring temp down.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
After seeing temps in the 200's while scrolling through the DIC one day, I decided this is where I should leave the display on a general basis for a while. Under load it's seems fine, 190-194. I see the high temps when coasting to a stop 1/4 mile or more. Highest I've seen is 209. I really haven't driven the car in hot weather yet though, so..... we'll see :driving:.

EDIT: Oh yeah, in answer to the original question, no I think your fine :).

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
This is the first car I ever had that had a digital temp guage, with a regular dail guage I don't think you notice all the fluctuation that this digital one shows. So like others have said unless you are seeing abnormally high readings, 220 or higher I wouldn't worry about it.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Mine usually stays around 198, but will climb to the 205ish range at stops. However, honestly I watch the boost more often than the temp. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
784 Posts
LatinVenom"

I guarantee you that my GXP has a 200 degree thermostat. Believe me I know how to read coolant temps. Any car that runs on the highway in cold temps will find or run at the thermostat set-point - that is pure thermodynamics.

Take your car on the highway in cold weather and watch the coolant temp, that average temp is your thermostat set point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
245 and the dash light will come on.
220 or less isn't an issue. Not enough to send it in yet. Keep and eye on it.

Tweety is absolutely correct...remember this is a pressurized cooling system and the coolant doesn't boil until 248-252............ start to worry when you consistently see 240+...then turn the heater on full.....sto1

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
LatinVenom"

I guarantee you that my GXP has a 200 degree thermostat. Believe me I know how to read coolant temps. Any car that runs on the highway in cold temps will find or run at the thermostat set-point - that is pure thermodynamics.

Take your car on the highway in cold weather and watch the coolant temp, that average temp is your thermostat set point.
Not with the 2.4 NA Solstice. And, if the GXP cooling system is arranged the same way, not with it, either. You see, the thermostat is on the suction side of the water pump, and the temp sensor is in the head opposite the water pump, so it reads the heat rise from front to back of the head, relative to the set point of the thermostat. The 2.4 has a 180 degree thermostat, but we routinely see 195-205, because of the rise across the head.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
We've had some wild temp fluctuations here the last few days and my themostat got stuck for a handful of seconds and my dash light came on....it unstuck and got back to normal. I've been seeing temps from 197-214 now that I've started watching closely. I've not had a repeat of the 'glitch' since.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I've been seeing temps from 197-214 now that I've started watching closely.
Interesting. Mine is pretty much at 194-196.

·
2,574 Posts
Not with the 2.4 NA Solstice. And, if the GXP cooling system is arranged the same way, not with it, either. You see, the thermostat is on the suction side of the water pump, and the temp sensor is in the head opposite the water pump, so it reads the heat rise from front to back of the head, relative to the set point of the thermostat. The 2.4 has a 180 degree thermostat, but we routinely see 195-205, because of the rise across the head.

This is correct information. We do not have a 200 degree thermostat. Also, my GXP (I'm in New England) consistantly runs just under 200 (general range is 194-208) in cold weather as well as hot. The ambient temp here, since getting my GXP, has ranged from the mid 80s to the mid 20s and no big difference in engine temps. Also my N/A Solstice ran about the same temps maybe a few degrees less but not much. I know people put a lot of stock in ambient temps affecting engine temps but not by much in my experience and I tend to monitor it quite closely.-bird

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
The '06 n/a Solstice has a 180 thermostat but the placement of the temp sensor is such that the DIC goes to 190 before you see the temps settle in. The cooling fan has a temp sensor that activates the fan at 210 & when it kicks on - the temps fall back to the 194 range pretty fast.

I got to the 210 point in the driveway sitting for about 5 minutes and revving the engine to 2k during that time - just to see what would happen.

Last summer tweety, VIN2020 and I went well over the 225 range on the way to Kansas City. I didn't like it and made changes to bring the temps down. So did VIN2020 and now he is running so cold his thermostat can't open up. In this weather he is running high 150's to high 160's - never gets up to hot operating temp.

We may have to drain our radiators and run the he11 out of the cars to keep them warmed up!:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Odd thing about reading all these is that I've owned my N/A Solstice for years and years and I've always run at a consistent, unwavering 189 since 2009 (year I got my 06). And I live in Puerto Rico, where 80° is a cool winter day. These last 2 weeks tho, Ive been seeing my Temps reach 219 and it's really bothering me. Good to hear that I have until 240, but I still think imma change the thermostat and drain and flush my radiator.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts