Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I came back from a 45 minute drive and went into the local car wash. As I checked the DIC I noticed the engine temp at 214... I have never seen it more than 200 on a hot summer day. It quickly dropped to 192 in a few minutes after the wash... normally it sits steady at 194 or so. Should I have it checked???
My 2009 GXP thermostat sometimes sticks if I let it sit too long. It will heat up into the 220's then "pop" and I'll never see temps over 205 after that. Doesn't happen often, usually the first ride in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
Odd thing about reading all these is that I've owned my N/A Solstice for years and years and I've always run at a consistent, unwavering 189 since 2009 (year I got my 06). And I live in Puerto Rico, where 80° is a cool winter day. These last 2 weeks tho, Ive been seeing my Temps reach 219 and it's really bothering me. Good to hear that I have until 240, but I still think imma change the thermostat and drain and flush my radiator.
Change in a mechanical system is generally a bad sign, so while 219 by itself isn't a problem, a 30 degree change may be.

You may have already done this, but make sure that nothing is blocking the airflow to the radiator, and that the air dam behind the bottom-feeding air intake hasn't been knocked off. It is a good idea to also check that your fan is working as it should, although it depends on when you are seeing higher temperatures. If you are seeing the change when idling but not when moving, the fan is just another thing to watch

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
My 2009 GXP thermostat sometimes sticks if I let it sit too long. It will heat up into the 220's then "pop" and I'll never see temps over 205 after that. Doesn't happen often, usually the first ride in the spring.
If this issue is your thermostat, it's only a matter of time until it doesn't "pop" anymore and the next pop you'll hear will be your engine!!! I've had this experience as well in college. I had a '90 Plymouth Laser 2.0L turbo. I had noticed that my temp would get about 3/4 of the way up the gauge and then it would open and be okay. It had been doing that for several weeks. Normally it would gradually climb and sit a hair under 1/2 way. Well...I went to an extension campus for U of M in Flint. It was located in the worse possible neighborhood in Flint. One night in Spring, I had left campus going down I475 and had made it a habit to watch my temp. As I rolled down the highway in the worse possible neighborhood, my temp gauge was north of 3/4. I immediately opened my windows, put the car in neutral and turned the heater on. As it touched the red and I was getting ready to turn it off and pull over, the temp gauge started back down. That was the last time I drove the car with that thermostat. The new one went in the next morning before driving back up there..... So just some food for thought on your "pop".......

Reactions: Sting Ya
21 - 23 of 23 Posts