Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't like the way rust can build up on the rotors and calipers. I plan on painting the calipers to keep them looking good, but painting the rotors every time will get a bit expensive. I know that in the swept area there is no way to keep the rust down, but at the same time all you have to do is stop once and it will go away. The rest of the rotor will have rust on it though and with these wheels it is very visible.

There is a product called oxisolve that puts a coating of zinc phospate on the metal that should prevent the rust from forming. What I don't know is if the coating will chip off from the heat or if it will last. Doesn't anyone have any experience with this.

I am getting my car is a couple days, and I will apply it and post some resutls if no one has any experience. I guess that I will post it either way.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Be careful not to get any coating on the contact area of the rotors. When I had my Miata, I would talke it to a car wash that had a "Wax" cycle. I would always hit my car with a coat of wax at the end of the rinse cycle. The wax would get on the rotors and would play havic with me stopping my car for the first mile or so. Be careful. I'm certain a coating that stops rusting would be thicker than a spray on wax coating and might be a problem until it wore off the rotor contact area.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I really don't like the way rust can build up on the rotors and calipers. I plan on painting the calipers to keep them looking good, but painting the rotors every time will get a bit expensive. I know that in the swept area there is no way to keep the rust down, but at the same time all you have to do is stop once and it will go away. The rest of the rotor will have rust on it though and with these wheels it is very visible.

There is a product called oxisolve that puts a coating of zinc phospate on the metal that should prevent the rust from forming. What I don't know is if the coating will chip off from the heat or if it will last. Doesn't anyone have any experience with this.

I am getting my car is a couple days, and I will apply it and post some resutls if no one has any experience. I guess that I will post it either way.

That spray will burn off after a mile or so. Remember the rotor is chipped away every time you stop the car. Painting the calipers would be a very wise choice. Especially asthetically speaking. The rotors, unfortunately I know of nop easy solution to this problem. I personally have to garage kept cars and they both have the issue when they sit for longer than two weeks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I could have sworn my calipers came painted grey from the factory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealernut said:
That spray will burn off after a mile or so. Remember the rotor is chipped away every time you stop the car. Painting the calipers would be a very wise choice. Especially asthetically speaking. The rotors, unfortunately I know of nop easy solution to this problem. I personally have to garage kept cars and they both have the issue when they sit for longer than two weeks.
I understand that in the area that is swept by the pads there is no way to prevent rusting (this isn't a problem though because it cleans off after a small amount of braking), but on other parts of the rotor this could help, right? Or will all parts of the rotor have the zinc coating fall off.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I tape off the pad contact area of the rotors and paint them with a High temp paint and it holds up very well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
shabby said:
You can opt for cadium plating, the rotor wont rust ever again.
Can you explain what this plating is a little more and how much it would cost??

Also, does anyone know how much ceramic brake pads will cost for this car?? I hate brake dust!!

- bspate -

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Actually its cadmium, but anyway, it should cost around 10 bucks per rotor.
Its a thin finish that is plated over the rotor, when the brake pad rubs the finish it comes off, but the rest of the rotor is still covered in it... and therefore doesnt rust.
Some places offer different colors, either bronze/black or silver.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bspate said:
Can you explain what this plating is a little more and how much it would cost??

Also, does anyone know how much ceramic brake pads will cost for this car?? I hate brake dust!!

- bspate -
This product oxisolve removes any rust on metal and then deposites a zinc phosphate coating over them. It is more a do it yourself product and can be done for about $10 total.

link to product
http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10401/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000778/showCustom-0/p-2000778/N-10619+111+4294952064/c-10619

link to where I got the idea at the Corvette forum
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1128667&forum_id=101

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's a nice product.

I've painted all my rotors for ages. I just use a high-temp paint, masking off the contact area of the rotor. Works quite well and lasts until the next brake pad change. That product might last the life of the rotor. I've used silver on most of my cars, but the fiero got matching red...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
In the past I've used High Temp (Engine) Paint for the caliper. I've gone ahead and used POR-15 paint on the actual rotor (the "hat" portion where no pad contact takes place). This works great for anything has has rust on it... and the matte black looks nice in open wheels. I usually paint both the rotor and caliper black so they "disappear" inside the wheel. I'm not one for the red or blue caliper look, but pick a color you like and can live with.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ever go to a car show and see someones decked out ride, with exspensive chrome rims, and a rusted hub visible throught the wheel? Its not going to happen with my Sol. High temp paint to match the silver of the calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
That's a nice product.

I've painted all my rotors for ages. I just use a high-temp paint, masking off the contact area of the rotor. Works quite well and lasts until the next brake pad change. That product might last the life of the rotor. I've used silver on most of my cars, but the fiero got matching red...
SC,
Do you paint the Wheel contact area as well?
I would like to find something to eliminate the rust on the wheel contact portion as well and I think painting might interfere with heat transfr to the wheel to help cool the brakes and hub?
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Wheel contact area needs to be paint free.

Ensures that the proper torque of the wheel lug nuts is not compromised by paint flaking or loosening.

Steve

:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
This is what I did to my wifes rotors on her car

Rotors painted with DupliColor Black Caliper Paint

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When I painted my calipers, I painted the "top hats" of my rotors since I had to have the wheels off anyway.

I completely removed the rotors, scrubbed the rust off with a brass brush, taped off the pad contact area, and painted them with 2 light and 1 heavy coat of 1200 deg high temp engine paint.

After they dried, I baked all 4 rotors in the oven at 300 deg for 2 hours. I've put several thousand miles on them with no rusting, chipping or bubbling.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I could have sworn my calipers came painted grey from the factory.
The front are steel and the rear is alum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts