Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently noticed that some screw stoppers (not sure the exact name, pictures attached) in the engine bay are really rusty and was wondering if it's still safe to drive the Solstice or if the rust is really dangerous and is something I need to be clean immediately?
Also, as I opened the hood to get pictures, some water dripped onto the wiring (3rd picture with red box outline) and was wondering, would that cause electrical issues or are those wires designed to be water resistant?

Auto part Vehicle Yellow Tire Suspension Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Suspension Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Wire Engine

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
if you are worried about the water, use a leaf blower to get rid if it.

The rusty screws are fine unless you plan to put your car into a car show.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
The rust on those screws wont hurt anything. It just looks bad. I took mine off, cleaned them up and brushed on a little black paint. Problem solved. As for the wiring at that plug. Like sirwm says, a leaf blower or hair dryer will fix that. I also put a little dielectric grease on the contacts inside the plug just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
"Rust Never Sleeps" These fasteners (nuts ) will eventually corrode and fail I would remove them ,clean them up and put a coat of paint on them when reattaching them use Permatex Anti -Seize ( available at any auto parts store ) on the threads to prevent any further corrosion . All the electrical connectors under hood have waterproof fittings as Joybill mentioned dry them off and add a dab of dielectric grease on the connectors for added insurance . Just curious what is the purpose of that cloth wrapped around the hood arm and is your car driven in salty conditions from the looks of it you have corrosion issues on all your underhood hardware ?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,585 Posts
I suspect that the car may have been partially submerged at some point. There are a couple of screws in those pictures that are rusty at one point and then there is a clear line where there is no rust above it.

:dunno:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I suspect that the car may have been partially submerged at some point. There are a couple of screws in those pictures that are rusty at one point and then there is a clear line where there is no rust above it.

Yeah, kind of appears that way but I imagine if that was the case all kinds of electrical issues would have appeared by now.. If those screws are that bad, can you image the rust that you can't easily see?
To the OP, I'd thoroughly investigate and look for hidden rust elsewhere. Try to determine a cause (maybe failing weatherstripping?) Replace rusted screws, bolts, nuts, and treat what can't easily be replaced. I've had great success with POR-15 products in the past.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Strangely enough, Mine looked just like that. the threaded studs themselves had no rust at all. It was just the nuts and washers. My sol has always been garaged but the hot and humid summers in NC will make tupperware rust.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
To add : Eastwood offers a whole line of paints that replicate as cast ,stainless steel,detail grey etc. finishes . I'm a detail freak I've used various Eastwood products for years with great results . If your going for a OEM look this stuff can't be beat .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Rust Never Sleeps" These fasteners (nuts ) will eventually corrode and fail I would remove them ,clean them up and put a coat of paint on them when reattaching them use Permatex Anti -Seize ( available at any auto parts store ) on the threads to prevent any further corrosion . All the electrical connectors under hood have waterproof fittings as Joybill mentioned dry them off and add a dab of dielectric grease on the connectors for added insurance . Just curious what is the purpose of that cloth wrapped around the hood arm and is your car driven in salty conditions from the looks of it you have corrosion issues on all your underhood hardware ?
Thank you for the great info, I'll try that out. The cloth wrapped around the hood arm was attached by a previous owner who did so to prevent squeaking or rubbing (when I got it from the dealership, I was curious too and that's what they described). I might have a corrosion issue on all my underhood hardware. I'll take a closer look next drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, kind of appears that way but I imagine if that was the case all kinds of electrical issues would have appeared by now.. If those screws are that bad, can you image the rust that you can't easily see?
To the OP, I'd thoroughly investigate and look for hidden rust elsewhere. Try to determine a cause (maybe failing weatherstripping?) Replace rusted screws, bolts, nuts, and treat what can't easily be replaced. I've had great success with POR-15 products in the past.
I'll be sure to investigate before my next drive. I'll look into POR-15. I appreciate the good info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It may have. I've had the car since May 2019 there's been heavy rain and maybe 3 inches of water build up but not high enough to reach the hood. I suspect a previous owner might have seen it submerged but there wasn't mention of that on the carfax. I haven't experienced any electrical issues though maybe they were fixed prior to me getting it. Good call. I did see that it was in auction at one point so maybe that was the cause but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
As per usual, the members here have given you solid advice. Most all automotive connectors are designed to be "water resistant". The grommets are made from a silicone compound that is designed to "weep" - releasing liquid silicone to continue to seal out the water. Obviously that's only going to last so long (probably 20+ years) so a little dielectric grease is good "insurance".

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Thank you for the great info, I'll try that out. The cloth wrapped around the hood arm was attached by a previous owner who did so to prevent squeaking or rubbing (when I got it from the dealership, I was curious too and that's what they described). I might have a corrosion issue on all my underhood hardware. I'll take a closer look next drive.
As to the wrapping on the hood arm, I would guess that if you remove it and squirt a little WD40 on the pivot points on each end of that arm, the squeaking will disappear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I recently noticed that some screw stoppers (not sure the exact name, pictures attached) in the engine bay are really rusty and was wondering if it's still safe to drive the Solstice or if the rust is really dangerous and is something I need to be clean immediately?
Also, as I opened the hood to get pictures, some water dripped onto the wiring (3rd picture with red box outline) and was wondering, would that cause electrical issues or are those wires designed to be water resistant?

View attachment 106809 View attachment 106810 View attachment 106811
Save yourself a lot of time and effort by using Blaster Corrosion Stop that you can buy at Home Depot. I used it several years ago on my Solstice GXP and it stopped any further rusting/corrosion.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,093 Posts
yikes!!! I would for sure do some rust kill and change nuts then get out the salt spary remover stuff ( salt away)and spray the entire under side and whatever looks like it may of had some issues. normal h2o dont do that.my 06 was from pensil vainia , it was there till around 2018. my nuts look great. I would for sure change those 1 at a time to keep the items in place.then do the crosion stop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts