Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion of course... :rant

Is it just me or is the RX-8 really ugly? It looks like the whole front end of the car does not fit with the rest of car.

If the Mazda engineers steer the Miata that direction people will be running to Pontiac dealers :lol

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think they have done a pretty good job on the RX8 overall, esspesially the tough job of making a four door sportscar look good. It's just the front fender flares I personally have a hard time warming up to. They do make it look a little odd. It's probably a love or hate thing. I can say that if they continue that look for the Miata, I will certainly not buy the new Miata!

·
Registered
753 Posts
i test drove the rx8-solid and well balanced, could use more feedback through the steering wheel, makes power in the high rev range- i find that a bit busy but you might like it.... the biggest thing keeping me away from this car is the relatively poor mileage and the tendency for rotary motor to use oil... i heard reports that it will blow oil out the tailpipe.
certainly no competition for the solstice. the solstice is is much prettier, it's a convertable, it is thousands less to buy, and the solstice promises a diffrerent character altogether- uncomplicated, good handling, tractable power curve and top down driving in a strikingly good looking car. wait for a solstice if you can.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I agree that the RX-8 does have a somewhat odd style that is not going to appeal to all. I think they did a good job with the front end (not a great job). It has a Mazda family resemblance, and yet it looks unique and definitely very sporty. Certainly not a re-hash of their sedan designs.
Now, my problem is that the front of the car does not match the rear. On the front of the car I see some sharp lines giving the vehicle a somewhat chisled look. The front end sits low, and the lines along the fender bulges and hood come to a vitual point at the front of the car where the grille opening is making the car look slim.
Now look at the back. The back window and trunk are rounded off, almost bulbous looking. They are fairly wide, and fairly high. It’s a look that doesn’t match the front. First they are using softer curves and rounded features on the rear instead of the shaper, tighter lines and creases on the front. Second, from the rear the car looks tall and wide, while from the front it looks low and sleek.
To me, the front and back look like they were penned by two different designers, and stuck together in the middle. I am sure the wideness at the back is due to squeezing a back seat into the car, and the bulbous nature is a compromise in keeping the car from becoming too long. But it just doesn’t fit the front.
Overall, it’s a heck of a drivers car, and it at least has a distinctive sports car look to it. It just doesn’t seem to be well integrated to me.
I would expect the next Miata to pull off the front end look of the RX-8 much better since it is not trying to squeeze in extra seats and weight that have to be hidden under bodywork. The front will work since it does have a smaller/sleeker look to it, and Miata should be able to stay true to that styling strategy in the rear too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
cdb said:
the biggest thing keeping me away from this car is the relatively poor mileage and the tendency for rotary motor to use oil... i heard reports that it will blow oil out the tailpipe.
I think you're thinking of the older generation rotory engines. My understanding is that the rotor seal technology has been vastly improved to the point where the oil consuption and life span problem of the past engines has been more or less solved. The poor mileage is just kind of a fact of life with the rotory engine. It is more or less a two stroke motor and therefor consumes twice as much fuel per revolution as a conventional 4 stroke. Having said that, the rotory offers great advantages in power to weight, less rotating mass for higher rev capabilities and a much smaller compact design. This does make it a potentially great sportscar motor, but the poor mileage, and sour reputation in the general public, is pretty much why you don't see it in all their cars.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have seen some oil consumption complaints regarding the new Mazda Renessis motor, but not nearly as many as the old rotaries. As for fuel consumption, its probably not that bad compared to other similar sports cars. The RX-8 EPA city rating is 20 isn’t it? That’s not bad for a sports car, especially for one that revs as high as the RX-8 does. Spinning an engine up to 8000+ RPM’s will use a little gas.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I was shocked when I first saw one on the road at how different it looks in person. The wheel bulges seem alot bigger than they do in print.

I've always liked Mazda, and was hoping the RX-8 would be a hit for them, but just judging by how many I see on the road, I would guess Nissan is selling a lot more Z's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The low mpg I've heard is somewhere around 11 -13 for the renesis.

On the RX-8, I don't like

- The C pillar
- Too many openings in the front
- The sharp fender bulges
- The slab sides
- The rear deck decoration

But overall, I like the concept. :] Here's to the comeback of an RX-7!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It's way too slow for it's price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's fine, but if you compare it to the RX-7 it has no where near the "sex-appeal" and "head turning" qualities. But then again very few cars do. Love the last RX-7 design. I think they should have pick-up where they left off...

Anyone know what the latest is on a possible NEW RX-7?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If I needed a four door sports sedan. I'd look at the RX8..

Needs a little more torque imo...maybe a bigger rotary?

Great deals on this 4 seat sports sedan.

Not a sports car though. IMHO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I agree that the RX-8 does have a somewhat odd style that is not going to appeal to all. I think they did a good job with the front end (not a great job). It has a Mazda family resemblance, and yet it looks unique and definitely very sporty. Certainly not a re-hash of their sedan designs.
Now, my problem is that the front of the car does not match the rear. On the front of the car I see some sharp lines giving the vehicle a somewhat chisled look. The front end sits low, and the lines along the fender bulges and hood come to a vitual point at the front of the car where the grille opening is making the car look slim.
Now look at the back. The back window and trunk are rounded off, almost bulbous looking. They are fairly wide, and fairly high. It’s a look that doesn’t match the front. First they are using softer curves and rounded features on the rear instead of the shaper, tighter lines and creases on the front. Second, from the rear the car looks tall and wide, while from the front it looks low and sleek.
To me, the front and back look like they were penned by two different designers, and stuck together in the middle. I am sure the wideness at the back is due to squeezing a back seat into the car, and the bulbous nature is a compromise in keeping the car from becoming too long. But it just doesn’t fit the front.
Overall, it’s a heck of a drivers car, and it at least has a distinctive sports car look to it. It just doesn’t seem to be well integrated to me.
I would expect the next Miata to pull off the front end look of the RX-8 much better since it is not trying to squeeze in extra seats and weight that have to be hidden under bodywork. The front will work since it does have a smaller/sleeker look to it, and Miata should be able to stay true to that styling strategy in the rear too.
Personally, I love the styling (and handling) of the RX-8. I actually like the combination of curves & angles on the RX-8. For me, the trick is to combine them well. Certainly much of the design is influenced by the presence of a low, small, lightweight rotary engine in the front and full-size back seats. Form following function. Some cars have too many gratuitous creases or angles IMO, eg, Z4 & Celica. I much preferred the classic design of the previous generation Z3 & Celica BTW. On the other hand, the NB Miata had a bit too many gratuitous curves (redesign influenced by the Z3 perhaps).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Wow, this is an oldie thread! :eek:
Yep, thinking again about buying an RX-8. Test drove a G35 Coupe for the first time last night. Not sure how long it will take me to make up my mind though. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had several chances to drive an RX-8, and had a ball! I think it is a wonderful car and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed more than two seats.

·
Registered
363 Posts
mceb said:
My opinion of course... :rant

Is it just me or is the RX-8 really ugly? It looks like the whole front end of the car does not fit with the rest of car.

If the Mazda engineers steer the Miata that direction people will be running to Pontiac dealers :lol

Yeah, something does not look right to me too. Have a supervisor who has one. Plus another manager has one where I work.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
robrecht said:
Yep, thinking again about buying an RX-8. Test drove a G35 Coupe for the first time last night. Not sure how long it will take me to make up my mind though. ;)

In all seriousness. Have you considered the GTO? I know many that shop the same cars you are considering and unanimously consider the GTO a superiour car.

Just a consideration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
robrecht said:
buy an RX-7

Wow I wish I could have an RX-7, Supra, and a Skyline. + The Solstice GXP

four awesome cars

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
GXPisforme said:
buy an RX-7

Wow I wish I could have an RX-7, Supra, and a Skyline. + The Solstice GXP

four awesome cars
I owned a Rx-7, and Supra. Loved them for the time I had them. I blew up the Supra though. :devil: It was back in my "fast" period.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts