Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was following my wife home while she drove the Solstice. I noticed a little white smoke coming from the exhaust every time she got on the gas. Could this be a little oil getting burned? I will check the levels here shortly and report back. My oil life % is at 12% right now, so it could be low. But, perhaps this is a case of needing the oil catch can?

·
Registered
563 Posts
No oil smoke is a white with a blue hue to it rich fuel is black and water is normally white with condensation in the tail pipe and a sweet smell

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No oil smoke is a white with a blue hue to it rich fuel is black and water is normally white with condensation in the tail pipe and a sweet smell
I guess I'll lean towards water. What does that indicate?

check engine light on as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Head gasket craked block but check you oil see if it's milky if it is water is getting into the oil also do a leak down test on the coolest system to see if there's an unseen
N leak

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't help but wonder still. Is there a chance that it's bad 7-11 gas with the ethenol blend of E-15? It's been known to happen for our cars getting gas at this station. The RX-8 is the most fragile when it comes to bad gas.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked fluid levels. Everything looks good. Didn't notice any leaks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
well make sure you have a leak down test done you could have a small leak head gasket that seals up after the car gets hot so have it down when its cold. not to insult your intel but if you dont know a leak down test is where you put a speacil cap on your coolent resavor and you use compressed air to brigh it to about 15 psi and them you watch the gauge to see if it gows down over time if it does you got a leak

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well make sure you have a leak down test done you could have a small leak head gasket that seals up after the car gets hot so have it down when its cold. not to insult your intel but if you dont know a leak down test is where you put a speacil cap on your coolent resavor and you use compressed air to brigh it to about 15 psi and them you watch the gauge to see if it gows down over time if it does you got a leak
No insult at all. Didn't know about that test. Thank you!

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I was following my wife home while she drove the Solstice. I noticed a little white smoke coming from the exhaust every time she got on the gas. Could this be a little oil getting burned? I will check the levels here shortly and report back. My oil life % is at 12% right now, so it could be low. But, perhaps this is a case of needing the oil catch can?
Was this while the engine was cold or warmed up? Also was it just when she got on the gas, or the entire time she was full throttle?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was this while the engine was cold or warmed up? Also was it just when she got on the gas, or the entire time she was full throttle?
Engine was warm. Full throttle only. But I could smell the car the whole time I was behind it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My Stage II DDM S/C will emit some light smoke under full throttle. I've always assumed it was neat fuel vapor. People behind me claim they can smell fumes when this occurs (I've actually thought of looking for an additive to sweeten the odor).

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Stage II DDM S/C will emit some light smoke under full throttle. I've always assumed it was neat fuel vapor. People behind me claim they can smell fumes when this occurs (I've actually thought of looking for an additive to sweeten the odor).
That sounds exactly what mine does. Probably nothing to worry about I assume. Hard to describe the smell. Maybe unburnt fuel. I've had a few pops from the exhaust since I S/C'd my sol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts