Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following is a post from s o l s t i c e. I have the same issue now in 2020. I am asking and curious to know if any Solstice owners out there do NOT notice a creaking noise from the center console when sitting on the drivers side and / or rolling over surfaces that are not level.

"Discussion Starter • #1 Apr 2, 2015
Hi,

I recently started to hear a noise that is apparently coming from the center console, I already removed such console to see if the noise disappears but it is still there. I have recorded a video to appreciate the squeak:

I can hear it when I pass a bump or when I drive on a non-flat surface.

P.D.: I recorded the video moving the car back and forth over a boardwalk.

Thank you very much for your support!"

Acknowledgment and credits to s o l i c e from Apr 2, 2015.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Nope, not on my 08

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
I don't think that noise is originating from your center console. It sounds a lot like the stabilizer bar bushings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that noise is originating from your center console. It sounds a lot like the stabilizer bar bushings.
When I sit in my driver side seat and lean on the console or dive on the street I hear the same creaking as s o l s t i c e. Sounds like some sort of stress friction to me coming from the rear upright portion of the console. The stabilizer bar bushings seems to be a reasonable source; but, I don't understand how the stabilizer bar bushings can be creaking when the car is stationary and I lean on the console. Please explain how this creaking can be transferring up through the console. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Bolts on the backbone loose???

·
Super Moderator
6,660 Posts
When I sit in my driver side seat and lean on the console or dive on the street I hear the same creaking as s o l s t i c e. Sounds like some sort of stress friction to me coming from the rear upright portion of the console. The stabilizer bar bushings seems to be a reasonable source; but, I don't understand how the stabilizer bar bushings can be creaking when the car is stationary and I lean on the console. Please explain how this creaking can be transferring up through the console. Thanks.
I missed you saying that it also happened when you leaned on the console. You may have to disassemble the rear of the cockpit to find the source.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Might be the console itself. You could pull the console cover off and look for signs of rubbing or abrasion on the cover or the underlying metal or plastic parts the console cover contacts. If you find any wear spots, a little dielectric or silicon grease on those spots may help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be the console itself. You could pull the console cover off and look for signs of rubbing or abrasion on the cover or the underlying metal or plastic parts the console cover contacts. If you find any wear spots, a little dielectric or silicon grease on those spots may help.
Will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you stand outside the car and bounce the car at a corner, do you hear anything?

Have never heard such a thing... I'll be interested to see what is causing this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. Thanks.
The sound was similar to a old floor board creaking. I found that the creaking was coming from the seat back pressure against console backbone behind where the small compartment is located. I pulled the seat forward three notches and now the creaking is gone. So, you were "spot on!" Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The sound was similar to a old floor board creaking. I found that the creaking was coming from the seat back pressure against console backbone behind where the small compartment is located. I pulled the seat forward three notches and now the creaking is gone. So joybill44, you were "spot on!" Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Following is a post from s o l s t i c e. I have the same issue now in 2020. I am asking and curious to know if any Solstice owners out there do NOT notice a creaking noise from the center console when sitting on the drivers side and / or rolling over surfaces that are not level.

Hi,

I recently started to hear a noise that is apparently coming from the center console, I already removed such console to see if the noise disappears but it is still there. I have recorded a video to appreciate the squeak:

I have had that noise intermittently for several years, mostly during the cold months, and I think it’s the nylon sway bar bushing.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Just glad you figured it out alh and thanks for posting your findings.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hi,

No noise here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
STEELEYE might be right ...if its only on bumps and mostly in cold weather. I DONT HAVE IT But my wifes Cadillac did..... non-greasable suspension bushings. And the less often you drive your vehicle, the more prevalent it is. All you can do is squirt and soak them with Silicon spray.... grease will deteriorate the chintzy rubber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you stand outside the car and bounce the car at a corner, do you hear anything?

Have never heard such a thing... I'll be interested to see what is causing this.
There is a place called DDMWorks that sells an aftermarket console. But with the virus stuff going on they don't respond so they are probably closed. If you need a replacement that's the only one I've seen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts