Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With production of the Solstice hopefully beginning in the coming months, seems to me the forum's biggest need would be insiders at the Wilmington plant. With the cloak of anonimity, there must be those that work there that would be willing to give us Sostice devotees headsup on: production delays :( , scheduling, cars near or at completion, shipping updates, shipping priorities, etc. If there are any of you out there willing to "throw us some bones" sign in and be heard. We would love to have you!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Zolsol:

I second mceb here - take a look at the link.

Secondly - I have a sneaky suspicion that there is plenty of "bones" that make it here to the extent possible without "sudden unemployment" or "site meltdown". You just need to read through and pay attention.

Many things get confusing on a new car launch, so it seems like there is nothing accurate getting posted - but if you look over our history, things are amazingly accurate. GM hasn't exactly been shy about putting a LOT of info out way ahead of time on the Solstice - enough for clever net detectives to piece together bit by bit.

I bet these same types of fits, starts, delays, disappointments, and such happened to the ION launch, the Cobalt launch and the G6 too - it's just there's not a Troy Roberts IONforums or Cobaltforums out there nor is there the "grabbing notoriety" of this car and platform.

Take the start of production date as an example. We've had a lot of info saying it was Mid-May. Now there's fragmented information that it's either May 16 or May 31. Which is correct? We'll know when the first one is produced.

The funny thing is: I've had many different sources within the last week tell me, beyond a doubt, that it is one or the other. I had another source from a supplier swear they have been making vehicles that will be sold for the last 2 months. She is(was?) a very reliable source. When is the REAL start date?

Do you see the problems created if everyone posted their "inside info"? How can we know the correct start date if everyone WITHIN GM doesn't even know it. It's easy to see why the date is sort of fluid - there is a ton of issues to work out when a new car starts up.

You try calling Pontiac and ask them directly. Bet you a coffee you won't get a solid answer from them.

Bottom line: lots of lurkers, lots of information gets filtered, and lots of info gets posted - a TON of it ahead or at the same time of other enthusiast sites. Just be patient - someone at Wilmington can't afford to loose their job by coming on this site and creating a huge, obvious information leak.

I'd just like to realize what you are asking people to do - if a person from Wilmington posts something, even inadvertantly, that is considered "confidential", they can face SEVERE DISCIPLINE up to being fired. It's happened before, it can easily happen again.

Loose lips sink.... corporations. When people from Mazda come on the site (and I know this because I've personally seen "guests" from IP addresses from Mazda's firewall, beyond the shadow of a doubt) they see the same information - this puts GM at a disadvantage. Did it never occur to you that we still know very little about the new Miata? GM needs every little bit of competitive edge it can get.

Make no mistake - you are not anonymous when you post here. Your information is confidential, but if ANY corporation wants to plow through the legal system and serve papers to Troy to get IP addresses, and they have a legitimate reason to do so (like what has happened in the past, confidential corporate information posted is one very relavant example) your posting IP address is discoverable.

WORD OF CAUTION to "INSIDE POSTERS": please read the help section (link in my signature) and consider your posts. NEVER POST ANYTHING CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not sure if it is confidential, err on the safe side and don't post it. If you still think it's important, and REALLY WANT TO POST IT, contact one of the Moderators, or Troy Roberts, the site administrator for advice/direction. It's better to hold on to confidential info and not post it than being the first one to post a cool tidbit - and then loosing your job.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solsticeman, thanks for your well thought out response. I certainly don't want anyone to risk his job over providing info to our forum. I was hoping for only general tidbits which more than likely could be not kept or considered confidential ie... is the production line running, is end product being produced, are parts generally being supplied, etc. I did not expect specifics and apologize if that's the way it came across. I suspect this kind of general information leak is unstoppable- family members of workers or friends hear it and pass it on, etc. This could be considered nothing more than rumors or extra information that appears on this forum everyday. As you mentioned these info bits are just pieces of a puzzle the rest of us will try to piece together. This kind of info at this point hardly will give GM's competition any great advantage. ie...I think GM knows its under the gun to get a quality product out earlier rather than latter, since it could loose sales if it doesn't. But Mazda knows this too- just as they are under the gun to replace Miata- though perhaps not as much. More than likely these competitors already know about each other's production information more than you or I realize.

·
Registered
114 Posts
at some point, unless this factory is guarded like area 51, there will be cars driven out of the building parked in a staging area awaiting transport. that's all we need to see.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Let's say that IP address lands them at a public library in Wilimington, tho... then it's not as easily traceable to a specific employee. ;) :devil:

Now if you're willing to go to that much trouble to post confidential info on the forum, we'll all kindly thank you and then advise you to get a life! :lol: :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We all love to hear rumors and tidbits of information! As long as its not going to get GM upset, definitely post away!

I remember reading about a guy who posted an official Z06 pic to a web forum a few months back, before GM lifted the embargo on the pics. Now, he had just run across it somewhere else online (or so he said). Yet, he is the one who posted it to the particular forum when GM representatives saw it. Needless to say, he received a less than warm visit by some GM security folks, who were interested in where he got the picture.

So not only should GM employees be careful on what they post, but friends of GM employees should also be cautious. If your told something, be sure that the person that told you the information said it was OK to spread it before posting. You’d hate to get a buddy in trouble either!

That said, if someone has info they can share, we’d love to hear it! I have seen a Lordstown worker posting some updates on Cobalt SS production on the web. Hopefully we can get similar updates as things get going!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts