Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the solstice handling has been compared to s2000 so often i decided to try a test drive....s2000 that is.....and found the performance exhilerating to say the least. the s2000 is north of 33k, but they had a couple 2001 models on the lot in the low 20's with mileage below 20k( seldom used summer toys?) and i am tempted. i buy cars and keep them forever, and i put more than 20k on my car in one year.
they come with the balance of a 7 year 100k warranty,and a bumper to bumper for 12k/ 1 year extendable to the 7 year time warranty for a small fee.
by the numbers, the solstice seems like it would be a better daily driver- making more torque a lower revs, and a wider cabin, and i think it is better looking to boot- but the honda has it's good points-well made, power roof, proven reliability, 9k redline and no compromise handling.
can you talk me out of a honda s2000?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The S2000 is used and not a fresh look.

You can get a brand new Sol for the same price and you know that no one has abused it.

The Sol is American

How does insurance compare?

S2000 uses premium fuel as opposed to 87 in the Sol.

More space in the Sol cockpit (though not the trunk).

Glass rear window in the Sol (for what it's worth).

That's just a quick list, I love the Honda and have considered buying one...I just don't think used vs. new is a fair comparo.

·
4,592 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There is only one question that you need to ask yourself. If you buy the S2000 now, are you going to suffer buyers remorse in 6 months when there are a bunch of Solstices running around the streets?

I otherwise see no reason to talk someone out of the S2000. It is a fun to drive roadster. A little pricey for my tastes, and the engine is not to my liking (too peaky) but if neither is a problem for another buyer then there is really not an issue with the car.

Did you drive the 2001's? If not, drive one before deciding. The 2005's have a bigger displacement engine that gives them a little more low end torque and better off cam performance. The 2001's won't be as quick down low in the RPM band.

·
4,592 Posts
Does the S2K 2001 come with plastic or glass rear window, massive deal breaker for me would be a plastic rear window.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2002 up came with the glass rear window. I'm not sure which one do get either. My gut tells me the S2k because I know the solstice will NOT match it in handling and certainly not in power. Another problem is the sol isn't going to be any faster than my current car. I kinda consider the S2k a F1 car for the street for us commoners that can't afford an enzo. ;) The solstice although a much better looking car probably won't be as fun to drive. If only the solstice was coming with more HP this year. It's the same problem with the miata, It handles good and all but quite frankly is flat out SLOW. It's tough the sol is such a damn good looking car.

·
5,600 Posts
I can't talk you out of a Honda S2000 nor will I. It sounds like a great sports car. If it meets your needs, I say go for it.

My advise of course would be to buy a Solstice or Sky. That's what I am doing. Why would I advise you differently. But the S2000 leaves nothing lacking in style, performance or reliability. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

I will however do my best to talk you out of buying one used. Generally, I refuse to take the risk of buying a used performance sports car because I'm terrified it has been abused. Specifically, the posts at www.s2ki.com indicate that many people abuse their "Stooks".

Go to that forum and do a search on "clutch dump" or "broken rear gears". Many of these cars are run very very hard. You will read people who confess to doing "hundreds of clutch dumps without a problem because the car is built for it" on one post, then the next post will say "why did my rear end break at only 20k miles" or "problems with your tranny?".

If you want a new S2000, I can't encourage you strongly enough. If you want a used S2000, you would do well NOT to buy one if you don't know who the previous owner is and how they treated it. You are duly warned.

·
5,600 Posts
aawil said:
My gut tells me the S2k because I know the solstice will NOT match it in handling and certainly not in power. Another problem is the sol isn't going to be any faster than my current car. I kinda consider the S2k a F1 car for the street for us commoners that can't afford an enzo. ;) The solstice although a much better looking car probably won't be as fun to drive.
That's quite a leap of faith! I can't think of a single reason why the S2000 will out-handle the Solstice and Sky. Can you give a reason? Because the spec sheet reads like a dream: full-length, rigid frame with even the transmission tunnel boxed in for additional stiffness, multi-link suspension on all four corners, hydraulic assisted steering, very low center of gravity and HUGE tires for a 2800 lb car.

If you have an engineering basis for your assumption, I'd like to know it. Otherwise I assume your basis is just that Honda is just better at building cars than GM. True, Honda builds the NSX, but GM builds the Z06 and CTS-V. Where is the love? :cryin:

:jester:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it will be close but I just don't think anything short of an Elise will actually feel as good as the S2k. Not to mention I've never owned an import so I certainly don't have a die hard approach to it. I personally don't like the changes they made to the S2K on the 2004 up models. Other than the wheels which did happen to be an improvement. I've been hoping from the start with Lutz behind this car that it will handle very well and I'm sure that it will. I'm really looking forward to seeing some roadtests on the solstice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want performance get the S2000, just find a good used one. I have yet to have a problem with mine, and even the plastic window is no big deal. Actually I don't even realize it is there 90% of the time since the top is DOWN!

Handling .... well nobody knows how the sol will handle yet, but the S2000 is one of the top handling cars, especially at this price range, it pulls close to 1 g on the skidpad.

Some arguments made here are pretty silly, The solstice is American? What kind of attitude is that? I doubt even 50% of the vehicle's parts will be manufactured in the US. Some people are very niave to think there is anything other than "world" cars these days. All parts are sourced from a select few manufacturers for ALL cars. Toyota's and Honda's are built in the US and Canada, so are they "American"?? Even the new US icon the 300C is built in Canada.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
wing said:
If you want performance get the S2000, just find a good used one. I have yet to have a problem with mine, and even the plastic window is no big deal. Actually I don't even realize it is there 90% of the time since the top is DOWN!

Handling .... well nobody knows how the sol will handle yet, but the S2000 is one of the top handling cars, especially at this price range, it pulls close to 1 g on the skidpad.

Some arguments made here are pretty silly, The solstice is American? What kind of attitude is that? I doubt even 50% of the vehicle's parts will be manufactured in the US. Some people are very niave to think there is anything other than "world" cars these days. All parts are sourced from a select few manufacturers for ALL cars. Toyota's and Honda's are built in the US and Canada, so are they "American"?? Even the new US icon the 300C is built in Canada.
And the Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi is built in Mexico. Its a world economy now, I would just hate to see either a major manufacturer bringing in a $30k car built in China for $15k and still charging 30 for it. Or a car company with no ties to here bringing in a class leader full of standard features at lower prices, plus (their words) "best warranty on the planet" (ny son's work vehicle, Hyundai Sante Fe - nice ride for a small SUV)

The key difference between the S2K and Sol is the power and performance (okay, 2 differences). Similar in size, but the Honda, according the the R&T comparison is on par with the Porcshe Boxter and Mercedes CLK on the strip and the track. In fact not included in the article but written up later in the issue, the GTO has to seriously watch out for the Honda. The Sol was never meant to be in that league. Now after SLP or some farmyard engineers (myself included) get done tinkering with the Kappa platfrom and the Ecotec engine then watch out for 'sleepers' , S2K owners.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good input....
the exhileration of a spirited test drive is starting to wear off. the s2000 is fast-very fast- but it happens between 6000 and 8500 rpm. off idle the s2000 was wasn't pushing me back in my seat much- acceleration was adequate but unremarkable.
it sort of reminds me of my RX8 test drive in that respect. by the time i'm at 6000 rpm things are going by pretty quickly, and the rush of speed is taking me from 'normal speed' to 'way to fast' in a few heartbeats. it was fun, but seriously, i don't expect to be driving that aggresively on a day to day basis. i miss the tourque in the low rpm. i'm not on a race track, i drive to work and to the grocery store andtake a sunday ride along the river road every now and again. i want something that will be satisfying in my 'real'world.
add to that a few things i noticed that could really start to bug me if i had to live with them
the top of my head felt like it was higher than the windshield (i'm 6' tall) and was getting a lot of buffeting- i drove an audi TT, and while i wouldn't want one i must say that the windshield height combined with the high beltline of the TT put me well out of the wind blast.
it was a snug fit (i'm 180 lb so a medium build for my height) which was fine for a short test ride but might get a bit claustrophobic over time.
add to that the fact that i was driving a 2005 s2000, i think the 2001 s2000 would be more 'high strung' than what i was in- less torque, higher redline to get to 240HP.
the s2000 is a great car, but not the right car for me, i think. i hope that we are going to get the solstice we believe we will be getting by the test mule rides and what we can surmise from the spec sheet.
maybe a little more info or a review of a production solstice would keep me out of the competition car dealers. it seems we have been a long time with no new info... c'mon Bob throw us a bone!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
cdb, sounds like driving the S2K is like driving the Vibe GT with the 6 speed and HO engine. Works great from 4000 to 6000 rpm but easy to stall below that. I wonder if that would translate into additional clutch wear.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see the initial lust over the S2K has worn off, and you are rationalizing its negatives along with the positives.

The best advice would be to wait until you can drive a Solstice and give it a few days to think about it. Maybe drive it and a S2000 back to back. Then you can compare them and decide which one is the most fun for you!

As for parts content: We have had numerous discussions on the forum about parts contents, where the money goes from buying a particular nameplate, etc. I don't think this thread is the place to get into it again, as it is kind of off topic. However, I will say this. Every new car has a parts content sticker on it, showing what percentage of parts are from the US and Canada, and which percentage are from abroad. It also shows the source of the engine and transmission. So its not difficult at all to find a car that is still built in the US, with predominantly US made parts. I also think the Sol will have well over 50% of its parts sourced from the US. Most domestics are still well over 50%, and especially those assembled in the US since the suppliers will often be located near the manufacturing plants.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
aawil said:
...because I know the solstice will NOT match it in handling ....
How do you know this? JMHO, but I think until you drive it you really can't say so.

wing said:
...Handling .... well nobody knows how the sol will handle yet, but the S2000 is one of the top handling cars, especially at this price range, it pulls close to 1 g on the skidpad.....
Sorry, wing. In stock configuration with stock tires, it only tests out at 0.88 g (R&T, C&D) on a skidpad.

Of course, you can put gumballs on, and get it to pull a full g, but you can do same for a Miata or the Solstice... at the expense of wear life, of course. But in the stock configuration, the S2000 is nowhere near 1 g.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The best advice would be to wait until you can drive a Solstice and give it a few days to think about it. Maybe drive it and a S2000 back to back. Then you can compare them and decide which one is the most fun for you!
Chances are there might be some used S2ks on the Pontiac dealer lots soon! :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
solsticeman said:
Sorry, wing. In stock configuration with stock tires, it only tests out at 0.88 g (R&T, C&D) on a skidpad.

Actually my road and track has it listed at .90. Motor trend did as well. Not that that's alot of difference. Your right about the 1G it can't be done from a stock car. Although when you consider how much rubber say a corvette has they only pull .93 to .94 themselves.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Yah, I was looking at a tested 2001 model, in that old R&T it was 0.88. The new issue with the shootout of all the different sports cars showed it at 0.90.

The Pontiac site states 0.90g for the Sol'.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The American argument goes back to where the profits are going...US vs Japan. This has been argued here before and it all comes back to the profits going to a big Japanese conglomerate or US shareholders.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts