Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year an 18-wheeler decided to change lanes on top of me. I was just in front of his mirrors, and he didn't bother to look down, and he changed lanes into me. I was in a 98 Olds cutlass. I ended up going about 60 down the freeway sideways, with a semi grille six inches from my head, trying to come in the car with me. So naturally, I think about safety a lot.

What would have happened if I'd been in a solstice? I dunno. The solstice is lower than a regular sedan, there's no upright support to a roof like I had in the cutlass, no overhead chassis cage. What would happen? I dunno. Maybe I'd have ended up underneath it.
:nopity

But maybe not. What are the chances of something like that happening? Who knows, but I bet it's less safe than a typical GM box car.

Will it keep me out of a Solstice? Well, I DON'T WANT TO WAKE UP DEAD.

But boy that sure looks like a fun car to drive........

(by the way, Thanks a bunch to the engineer who designed the safety and impact stuff on the Cutlass. The car was totaled, but I walked away without a scratch.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
41Streamliner said:
Last year an 18-wheeler decided to change lanes on top of me. I was just in front of his mirrors, and he didn't bother to look down, and he changed lanes into me. I was in a 98 Olds cutlass. I ended up going about 60 down the freeway sideways, with a semi grille six inches from my head, trying to come in the car with me. So naturally, I think about safety a lot.

What would have happened if I'd been in a solstice? I dunno. The solstice is lower than a regular sedan, there's no upright support to a roof like I had in the cutlass, no overhead chassis cage. What would happen? I dunno. Maybe I'd have ended up underneath it.
:nopity

But maybe not. What are the chances of something like that happening? Who knows, but I bet it's less safe than a typical GM box car.

Will it keep me out of a Solstice? Well, I DON'T WANT TO WAKE UP DEAD.

But boy that sure looks like a fun car to drive........

(by the way, Thanks a bunch to the engineer who designed the safety and impact stuff on the Cutlass. The car was totaled, but I walked away without a scratch.)
Good point, we should all buy tanks.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think the Solstice will be relatively safe for a convertable/roadster. The car has a very stout frame structure underneath it and a strong backbone. That should keep it from turning into an oragami project if it gets hit.

However, like any small car, there is not a lot of extra steel to absorb collision forces, and there is not a lot of extra weight to counteract big, heavy vehicles.

I just figure any car is not going to be perfectly safe, and most cars are engineered to be as safe as possible these days. There are just some accidents that are going to cause injuries and deaths regardless of the cars structure.

I doubt the Solstice will be less safe than any comparable convertable, and based on its new, hydroformed chassi it may be safer.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Safer than a motorcycle, not as safe as an H1. I don't think people that are excited about this car are too worried about it. Life's too short to always wonder "What if...?" It's a personal risk assesment. Obiously you don't have the benifit of a hard roof structure that helps in a roll over, you don't have lots of mass to push the other guy out of the way, You're low, so SUV bumpers come right through the window, but on the other hand the the car is low so it is less likely to roll over, it has great traction so it is less likely to spin out on dry ground, it's very manueverable and nimble, so it can avoid hazards, and it stops on a dime. Drive defensively and you should be ok.

By comparison it will be much safer than a Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, or RX7 of 15 or 20 years ago. If you've never riden a bike or driven a roadster top down in heavy traffic on the freeway before, it might intimidate you at first, but you get used to being up close and personal with Semi tractor trailers and the like. I guess the go-cart on the street feeling either scares you or thrills you. I fall in the latter camp.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
This happened right next to my kids high school today. The telephone pole was basically about where the middle A/C vent would be in the dash. I'm still trying to find out if anyone was killed, but it obviously doesn't look good.

It definitely got me thinking about safety, but even this big pickup didn't help this person. I am impressed however that the doors don't look deformed at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am impressed however that the doors don't look deformed at all.
But I bet that little ram that used to be in the middle of the hood has a splitting headache!

As much as we've complained about the projected weight numbers, that 2900 pounds would put it nearly half way between a Miata and a 98 Cutlass. Very roughly, 500 pounds more than a Miata and guessing 800 pounds less than a Cutlass. But we all know there's a lot more than just weight that effects crash worthiness. Wonder how a backbone frame would do in a side impact??

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DreamerDave said:
side impact??
Speaking of safety, does the Solstice/Sky have door side impact beams? Not that it will color my decision. Safety is more in your hands than not. If the car is low enough and the truck is high enough we can pretend to be Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. :jester

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Speaking of safety, does the Solstice/Sky have door side impact beams? Not that it will color my decision. Safety is more in your hands than not. If the car is low enough and the truck is high enough we can pretend to be Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. :jester
I believe they are now mandated in cars. I cannot imagine it not having side intrusion beams.

I am curious to see if it ends up with side airbags. The feds are cming out with some new side impact regulations that make it all but impossible for a car to meet them without using side airbags. Now the regs don’t mandate them, but they are strict enough that it doesn’t appear a car could meet them without side bags.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I believe they are now mandated in cars. I cannot imagine it not having side intrusion beams.

I am curious to see if it ends up with side airbags. The feds are cming out with some new side impact regulations that make it all but impossible for a car to meet them without using side airbags. Now the regs don’t mandate them, but they are strict enough that it doesn’t appear a car could meet them without side bags.
The only way the Solstice/Sky could have side impact airbags is if they used the seat based ones that come out of the side of the seat. Since it's a convertible that means no head level ones too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
This happened right next to my kids high school today. The telephone pole was basically about where the middle A/C vent would be in the dash. I'm still trying to find out if anyone was killed, but it obviously doesn't look good.

It definitely got me thinking about safety, but even this big pickup didn't help this person. I am impressed however that the doors don't look deformed at all.
Driving on the road would have helped this person! :jester I guess those telephone poles can be tricky though...

·
Registered
31 Posts
safety

Anything can happen in this work. This car probably would be safer than the miata, or close any of the other roadsters out there. Hopefully, all of us would be safe so the issue does not arise.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Will this car have any type of eletronic stability control? I was reading in this months motor trend or car and driver and one of the editorials was talking about how esc was the best safty device since the seatbelt. It supposedly cut down single accident fatality rates on equiped cars by 42%.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would hope this car would have all safety features - no reason why it should not - it's a 2006 model.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I believe if there is stability control it will be an option with ABS. Stability Control is good for your normal driver, bad if you want to race.

I don't remember where it is I'll tr yo tind it, but there's an image of the Sky that has a button below the radio with the image of a car with swervy lines coming from the tires. I believe that's a fairly universal symbol for traction control on/off button.

Here it is.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=188&size=big&sort=1&cat=3032

You can also make out the power plug to the right, along with what's on the little readout with debated about before. "Passenger Airbag" with an OFF/ON under it and a seatbelt warning light.

At the very bottom right you can also see the little rectangual shaped cutout in the plastic I've thought might be a pop out cup holder, or access to bolts/screws.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
I believe if there is stability control it will be an option with ABS. Stability Control is good for your normal driver, bad if you want to race.
Actually, the Comp mode of the C5 'Vette active handling is pretty damb good.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
Actually, the Comp mode of the C5 'Vette active handling is pretty damb good.
I had totally forgotten it had a sport option for it's traction control. Have you driven one with it turned to that mode before? I'm really interested in knowing what it's like to drive with it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd certainly like to see stability control. It could certainly save your bacon in an emergency situation on slippery highways, or even in spirited driving. However, I'd like to see it be defeatable too. I cannot stand it when some of the electronic nannies cannot be turned off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How about the rear?

For one thing I wouldn't want to get rear eneded with that short trunk. It wouldn't take much for someone's bumper to wind up in the front seat. Don't forget to duck! :eek I was sitting at the light on the hiway off ramp when I happened to look in the rearview mirror only to see a van flying down the ramp and the gal was to busy talking to the passenger to look at what was ahead. Luckily I had left enough room between me and the car in front of me. I could jettison off to the left and at the last second she turned around and swerved right. Good thing no one was on my left or I would have eatin the dash. That is if I wouldn't have become a human projectile! Either way there is a very good chance I wouldn't be writing this post today.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts