Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking that I live in the winter belt if I take delivery in the winter they put tons of salt on the roads. When I drive it home it will get in every nook and cranny.I just cringe to think of my brand new car get saturated with salt and not being able to wash it if its below 32 degres.Especialy the under carrige.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
dave clancy said:
I was just thinking that I live in the winter belt if I take delivery in the winter they put tons of salt on the roads. When I drive it home it will get in every nook and cranny.I just cringe to think of my brand new car get saturated with salt and not being able to wash it if its below 32 degres.Especialy the under carrige.
If its bad weather have a flat bed take it to the nest.Well worth it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I live in Minnesota, roads turn nearly white with salt every winter. Flat bed tow, no way! This is a $25,000 car not a priceless piece of art. To each their own but I will get my 25K of enjoyment out of this car everyday I drive it. As long as the roads are dry (no ice or snow) I'll be putting miles on this car. Just my opinion but if I wanted a nice car to look at I'd be satisfied with the poster my dealer gave me. Pontiac built this car to be driven and that's what I'm going to do. I'll do everything I can to keep the car looking good but it's just a car, nicest car I've ever seen but still just a car. Mine is going to earn it's keep!

It is your car, and you are welcome to do with it as you wish. I'm driving mine like the bumper sticker say's..."Drive it like you stole it!"

·
Registered
199 Posts
:agree: Absolutely, however I will be parking it in the empty spots away from everyone else in parking lots, Im from Jersey and I know the blatant disregard people have w/ swinging open car doors where I come from! Who am I kidding though after a year I know Ill get lazy and prob not do it anymore.

·
4,592 Posts
anticd70 said:
:agree: Absolutely, however I will be parking it in the empty spots away from everyone else in parking lots, Im from Jersey and I know the blatant disregard people have w/ swinging open car doors where I come from! Who am I kidding though after a year I know Ill get lazy and prob not do it anymore.
You never know, you might get too used to it......I've been doing exactly that for 6+ years. MAkes a difference, not a ding in my 6 year old 4x4, still looks great. My roadster is 9 months old, not a scratch/dimple/ding.

It's second nature to me now. I doubt I'll ever change back.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm with you guys 100%, park away from the big two-doors when you can but I try to be 'casual' about it. Parking several hundred feet away from the nearest car or taking two spots may avoid the 'ding' but invites those evil key scratches! Like driving the best way to park is 'defensive'!

And never parallel park, I lived in a high population area and am an expert after years of practice, most are not. If you want your Sol backed over parallel parking is a good way to do it!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It doesn't help. I have tried for years to park a new vehiicle away from everyone else. I am convinced new cars are magnetic, because whenever I come out from the store or whatever, my new car is surrounded in a previously empty part of the lot.

With a Solstice, we need the car cover from the commercial that makes the car look like a wreck. That might backfire, so maybe a compromise is to make it look like something boring like a Corolla 4 door. Only problem, we won't have enought storage space for the cover!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Stay away from Camaros and Firebirds, too... HUGE door swings...

...and old mini-vans where the rear doors do swing out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dave: I agree with you, no salt on my Sol. It's easy for me to say b/c mine will not be my daily driver, but if mine were delivered with wet-salty or snowy roads I'd wait a day or two until they were dry before taking it home. I'm from Minnesota too, and wet roads after they've salted are the absolute worst, and I will do everything I can to never drive on that kind of day. Once they've dried, even with the white coating of salt, sure you'll get some specks of salt on your car, but you can wash it off, and you won't have salt in every nick & cranny like you will on one of those days where you use an entire gallon of windshield fluid just to go back and forth to the store.

I'll park carefully as well, but I'm amazed here in Minnesota folks tend to be pretty careful. I drive a big Tahoe, I avoid big ol' 2-doors, and avoid stalls where a driver's door is too close, and aim for the middle of the stall, and over 6 years with 2 Tahoes I've never gotten a ding. WIth my Solstice I'll walk a bit farther, but not go to extremes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
In Arizona we put salt on our food. :D

·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
In Arizona we put salt on our food. :D
Me and my car are on low salt diets :lol:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Man, I say drive it! Just go REEEEEEEAALL slow. :lol:

If you drive 5mph all the way home you shouldn't sling stuff up everywhere.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pterosaur said:
I live in Minnesota, roads turn nearly white with salt every winter. Flat bed tow, no way! This is a $25,000 car not a priceless piece of art. To each their own but I will get my 25K of enjoyment out of this car everyday I drive it. As long as the roads are dry (no ice or snow) I'll be putting miles on this car. Just my opinion but if I wanted a nice car to look at I'd be satisfied with the poster my dealer gave me. Pontiac built this car to be driven and that's what I'm going to do. I'll do everything I can to keep the car looking good but it's just a car, nicest car I've ever seen but still just a car. Mine is going to earn it's keep!

It is your car, and you are welcome to do with it as you wish. I'm driving mine like the bumper sticker say's..."Drive it like you stole it!"
:agree:

Me too!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pterosaur said:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
One drive in salt is not going to kill the car. Just get it home. If there is snow on the ground, leave it outside so the snow and ice on the car remain frozen. In the garagem they will melt and the water will accelerate the salt damage. Then the first day it gets even a little over 32 degrees, hose it down good underneath. Doesn't have to be washed perfectly clean. Just plast the salt off it. Then get it in. Next warm enough to do a wash day, wash it then.

One trip in salt is not going to eat your Sol away. It would be much better not to have any salt on it at all, but one trip would not be the end.

Another tip, ask if the dealer will hold onto it for a couple days if the roads are salty and wet. Far less salt will get on the car if you can get it home on a day when the roads are dry. You will still get dust kicked up, but it won't cake on like when the roads are wet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A car - Not a religious icon

Drive it and enjoy it in every condition. On your death bed you will not say I'm glad I did'nt drive it in the snow. You're more likely to wish you'd driven it once more. Life is to short not to enjoy every moment. Take it from someone who has flat lined.

Incidently, my wife has been driving her 94 camero every winter in salt rich Michigan and the car's body is still immaculate. No rust spots anywhere. Just do it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anxious one said:
Drive it and enjoy it in every condition. On your death bed you will not say I'm glad I did'nt drive it in the snow. Your more likely to wish you'd driven it once more. Life is to short not to enjoy every moment. Take it from someone who has flat lined.

Incidently, my wife has been driving her 94 camero every winter in salt rich Michigan and the car's body is still immaculate. No rust spots anywhere. Just do it.
I think this is excellent advice!
Besides, you could always purchase one of those super-duper undercoating dealer specials! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
anxious one said:
Drive it and enjoy it in every condition. On your death bed you will not say I'm glad I did'nt drive it in the snow. You're more likely to wish you'd driven it once more. Life is to short not to enjoy every moment. Take it from someone who has flat lined.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
anxious one said:

Drove my 96 TA daily through Wisconsin winters-not a speck of rust to be found. Life is TOO short to not live every moment!!
:willy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts