Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Canadian living in the US for the next year or two (and on the waiting list to get a Solstice), I would like to know if the car will have the same bumper rating for both countries.
I got in big trouble in 2001 for bringing a US version of a Mercedes SLK into Canada because it didn't meet the Canadian safety standards. They fined me $7000 but I got half of it back because I complained and a member of parliament helped me out. It seems Mercedes makes the bumpers stronger for the Canadian market. USA has a 5 mph bumper standard, but Canada has a 15 or 20 mph bumper standard. I'm not sure what that means exactly, I was too upset at the time to figure it out fully.

So, when it's time to move back into Canada, I need to know if I can import my Solstice without being nailed for something stupid. I don't expect an answer so early but maybe someone will know.

Also, can someone delete the 2 new pics in the gallery? There are 2 pictures of a mustang in there.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I don't think we have an answer for your question yet. All I can say is hopefully the two cars will be the exact same car, so you would be able to transfer it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I would find it curious that GM would make two seperate bumpers for a niche vehicle, so my "guess" (and it is a guess) is that both cars would be the same.

Now, I am guessing based on the GTO. It has bumpers that do not meet Canadian regulations, and that is why GM did not export it to Canada. For that niche vehicle, they didn't build two bumpers.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I would find it curious that GM would make two seperate bumpers for a niche vehicle, so my "guess" (and it is a guess) is that both cars would be the same.

Now, I am guessing based on the GTO. It has bumpers that do not meet Canadian regulations, and that is why GM did not export it to Canada. For that niche vehicle, they didn't build two bumpers.
At least they didn't bring over the "standard" Roo catchers you see on Aussie cars in the outback. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:

Yeah, it was designed in Australia though, and then brought to the USA without that being part of the original design intention. However the Solstice being designed in the USA, with Canadian sales in mind was hopefully designed from the start to meet their requirments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is some correct info here but I will try to clear it up.

The US and Austraila have federaly mandated 2.5 mph (minimum) bumpers.

Canada has 5mph bumpers. The GTO being originally designed in Austrailia got built with 2.5 mph bumpers--fine for the US but not Canada.

The late Toyota MR2 convertilbe also had 2.5 mph bumpers so it wasn't for sale in Canada.

But Kappa was designed in the US, so it will have 5mph bumpers as all other cars built by US domestic manufactures. There are some others rules to import US cars to Canada (motorized seatbelts and day time running lights are a few examples.--which I think you all have now--it was back in 90 or 91 when they were mandated on all Canadian cars.)

You should have no problems importing a Solstice to Canada. You might have to pay GST though. There is also alot of paper work to do for a car 14 years old or newer.

Here is a list of cars that you cannot import.

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

You'll notice the Ford GT is on the list. I e-mailed Ford, they didn't say why they are not selling in Canada--but it must be some sort of safety issue.

I imported a 74 Formula 400 last year---real easy for a car 15 years or older.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Very interesting list and enlightening. I always thought all the world's cars were available in Canada and just not to us. Humpback 4 door VW of 60's as example. Too bad we don't have a reciprocal 15 year exemption where we could import Canadian spec cars freely into US.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts