Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went yesterday.
They had the Aura and the Sky tucked back in the very remotest corner of the show. Rather poor presentation for an up and coming brand!
BUT, the Sky IS awesome. Just a gorgeous machine. They had two Solstice on display, one on a turntable and one you could sit in. They categorically refused to raise the rear deck lid. They are really feeling the heat of that design decision to put that big lump in the trunk. The were very quick to state the storage dimensions but they refused to show it. Also checked out the Miata, bland but well put together and a large trunk with no spare or battery in it. The tan leather is a hidious dark color as opposed to the medium tan they used to use.
Unlike previous years, the AURA was the only concept GM had there (if you don't count an irridescent Escalade).
Last year they had the Nomad, the Cad16 and the Velite.

·
5,600 Posts
I went to the show.

I sat in everything from the Sol to the S2000, MX5, Audi TT, Z4, Boxster, 350z convertible. The fit, ergos and look over the hood in the Sol is 2nd to none. Only the MX5 and S2000 have shorter shifter throws, so those who think the Sol needs shorter shifter throws may think all of the rest of these sports cars have "long throws" as well. Most of these cars pale in comparison to the looks of the Sol. Like the Z4 - very solid and good ergos but just homely as can be.

I enjoyed sitting in the Solstice, as you can't find one at a dealer so that was my only chance. After sitting in it about 15 times, I realized nothing will quench my desire for actually owning and driving one. I can't order one until the high-output motor is announced.

The Pontiac people knew next to nothing, as usual. Not blaming them, but information is non-existent. I asked about the GXP and only 1 person had even heard the rumors and all he said was "we should know soon." Well, this forum figures an NAIAS announcement, so I knew that already. Problem is, I can't order my Solstice until I know whether the top motor will be 250 HP or 205.

They said they couldn't activate the electric trunk release with the battery disconnected. Most cars had the batteries disconnected which was extremely annoying. Most cars have electric adjustable seats and invariably I was either crushed up against the wheel or way back away from it. Impossible to adjust your seat for ergonomic fit, except in simple cars like the Solstice.

I found I could get in and out of the MX5 just fine. That is a huge change from the previous generation. The adjustable steering wheel was the most help there. Good ergos. Still ugly. Of note, there were 2 Miata owners ahead of me and they spent a lifetime going over the car, scowling for the most part. They were pretty critical of most of the looks and they just kept looking at if from every angle and did not seem pleased at all. All of their comments were critical of the car. Now, this is not exactly a scientific sample of Miata owners, but you can only imagine the disappointment Miata owners must have felt after months and months and months awaiting the brand new, from the ground up redesign of their cherished sports car only to have it look like it does. I think it took the wind out of a lot of people's sails and it is almost painful to watch guys like these, and you know they know the MX5 is going to be the best Miata built to date, and yet they just were not smiling at all, scowling and looking serious the entire time and the only comments were criticisms. Not good... You know they are going to love this car. They want to love this car. But then you see the frustration and aggravation of having to try to defend the looks and say it doesn't matter, and it looks like a Mazda, and at least it's still light, on and on. It's painful to watch.

The looks of the Sky in the flesh continues to grow on me. I like it more and more. But I am sold on the Solstice. Everytime I see the Solstice, I know I love the looks of it and I know it is the best fit for me. So I have decided without a doubt to get a Sol, and the sooner they announce the GXP so I can order one, the better. Hopefully they will announce any new colors before my order gets picked up.

Like usual, you could not sit in the prototype Sky. Oh sure, you could sit in the $80,000 yellow Z06 on the floor everyone was scrambling over and scratching up by leaning on, buy you can't sit in a $25,000 Sky that will end up being scrapped anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was there on Sunday too. I also went to the sac show last weekend. I overheard the Solstice guy on Sunday say that they had already sold 15,000 Solstices. I'm asuming he meant that they have sold and or taken deposits that total 15,000 vehciles accounted for, since they haven't even built 10,000 yet.

A dealer told me a couple of weeks ago that they were building only 10,000 Solstices for 2006 and then 20,000 for the 2007 model year.

If my math is correct, it seems highly unlikley that I will be able to buy one next Christmas, because by then all of the '06's will be long gone and they will have thousands of pre orders for the 2007's, probably before Spring of 2006.

I don't think they will be able to make them fast enough to meet the demand. Also heard they are laying off 30,000 workers, which can't help them to build them any quicker. I know it's probably built at a different plant than the layoffs, which I'm sure are world wide but still just hearing about all those job cuts doesn't make me feel any better about them building them any quicker.

I am already trying to decide what I will buy next year if there are not enough Soltices to go around.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Layoffs

:( This mornings news reported that all the layoffs would be in North America. That makes sence because these are all the high paying jobs with retirement plans and health care. However that being said they are not running 24 hours a day at Wilmington anyhow so I doubt they will cut any staff there. :yawn:

·
2,574 Posts
jimbo said:
I went to the show.

I sat in everything from the Sol to the S2000, MX5, Audi TT, Z4, Boxster, 350z convertible. The fit, ergos and look over the hood in the Sol is 2nd to none. Only the MX5 and S2000 have shorter shifter throws, so those who think the Sol needs shorter shifter throws may think all of the rest of these sports cars have "long throws" as well. Most of these cars pale in comparison to the looks of the Sol. Like the Z4 - very solid and good ergos but just homely as can be.

I enjoyed sitting in the Solstice, as you can't find one at a dealer so that was my only chance. After sitting in it about 15 times, I realized nothing will quench my desire for actually owning and driving one. I can't order one until the high-output motor is announced.

The Pontiac people knew next to nothing, as usual. Not blaming them, but information is non-existent. I asked about the GXP and only 1 person had even heard the rumors and all he said was "we should know soon." Well, this forum figures an NAIAS announcement, so I knew that already. Problem is, I can't order my Solstice until I know whether the top motor will be 250 HP or 205.

They said they couldn't activate the electric trunk release with the battery disconnected. Most cars had the batteries disconnected which was extremely annoying. Most cars have electric adjustable seats and invariably I was either crushed up against the wheel or way back away from it. Impossible to adjust your seat for ergonomic fit, except in simple cars like the Solstice.

I found I could get in and out of the MX5 just fine. That is a huge change from the previous generation. The adjustable steering wheel was the most help there. Good ergos. Still ugly. Of note, there were 2 Miata owners ahead of me and they spent a lifetime going over the car, scowling for the most part. They were pretty critical of most of the looks and they just kept looking at if from every angle and did not seem pleased at all. All of their comments were critical of the car. Now, this is not exactly a scientific sample of Miata owners, but you can only imagine the disappointment Miata owners must have felt after months and months and months awaiting the brand new, from the ground up redesign of their cherished sports car only to have it look like it does. I think it took the wind out of a lot of people's sails and it is almost painful to watch guys like these, and you know they know the MX5 is going to be the best Miata built to date, and yet they just were not smiling at all, scowling and looking serious the entire time and the only comments were criticisms. Not good... You know they are going to love this car. They want to love this car. But then you see the frustration and aggravation of having to try to defend the looks and say it doesn't matter, and it looks like a Mazda, and at least it's still light, on and on. It's painful to watch.

The looks of the Sky in the flesh continues to grow on me. I like it more and more. But I am sold on the Solstice. Everytime I see the Solstice, I know I love the looks of it and I know it is the best fit for me. So I have decided without a doubt to get a Sol, and the sooner they announce the GXP so I can order one, the better. Hopefully they will announce any new colors before my order gets picked up.

Like usual, you could not sit in the prototype Sky. Oh sure, you could sit in the $80,000 yellow Z06 on the floor everyone was scrambling over and scratching up by leaning on, buy you can't sit in a $25,000 Sky that will end up being scrapped anyway. :rolleyes:
Hi- Quality post here, expect nothing less, but thanks. You need to have a GXP it's crystal clear. I just couldn't lay in the weeds that long. You may have to strategize to insure as prompt a response to your order as possible but hey that's half the fun. Information here could be the key to a good spot in line but they will be precious I do believe. Would love to entertain the notion of trading up but honestly know that I won't be dissappointed with the general issue. Good luck, Bro will look forward to your posting the pic here with big grin on board! :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
Hi Birdliver,

I am willing to wait for what I think will make me happy. I've waited decades to see Detroit offer a gorgeous performance car I can afford, so another year is tolerable - especially as more and more of the little problems are corrected every day. By the time they build my car, the little problems should be few and far between, sans the miniscule trunk which is here to stay.

I am being spoiled, selfish and greedy. I just don't want to compromise. I know that if the base motor was the only motor offered, I would be perfectly happy. I also know that more horsepower will mean a bigger smile on my face every time I press the accelerator pedal. I admit it - the GXP with the high-po motor is the one for me. The base motor is more than adequate for this car. If the Solstice had been introduced in 1980, it would probably be a 1.6 L and have about 116 HP. So yeah, I'm just being greedy. Ya gotta have f :party: un!

·
2,574 Posts
You've got an Iron will lad, I buckled at the first opportunity! Won't be long now :lol:

edit: Am also mighty curious about Terpfan's secret! Wonder if he'll even share the cost of whatever it is so that we pennypinchers can decide if it's something we can consider? Terp, please take the bait. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts