Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the first mod on the wife's new whip, the famous "Santana Billet Cup Holder"; very nice unit, the old was a pita to get out, took about 5 min to install the new one and the wife is happy! Thought it was a bit pricey, but not really when you look at the OEM replacement price and it's still a plastic POS. I have a '51 F1 I may have to find a spot for the dbl cup holder in :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I love the Santana cup holder. Awesome product.

I wish Santana made one for the double holder~
I tried to get Rich Santana to make a billet double cup holder or drawer that would slide out for extra storage etc. The project fell apart when DDM announced their console replacement / cup holder. Ended up buying the DDM console and having JPM cover it....I love it. Pics are in the the thread I did on it. With the DDM unit I never use the centre waterfall cup unit so some sort of replacement / sliding tray makes all the more sense now..... Rich if you read this.:willy:

·
Registered
229 Posts
OH WTH, SANTANA billet CUP HOLDER? We just got an OEM cup holder on ebay cause ours was broken( less than 1/2 the cost of dealer mind you ) so what did that one cost and where'd you get it and how do you remove the other one? I won't be doing anything until spring when I bring the car out but I'll need to gather some info on how to do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
google "Santana Interiors" he does custom interior work :yeah man billet aluminium construction, very nice unit. $165.00 (+ 10 for anodizing black) like I said a little pricey, but not really considering the quality and the price of the plastic POS OEM one. There are some threads on here that cover the install and removal; should be a piece of cake if you get the retention clips to release, but mine had the bail flipped open while closed, so I pulled the gearshift cover to access everything, pushed the whole unit in towards the shifter and pulled it out there :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I rarely use my POS stock cup holder and despite the fact that I lubricated it in the fall, it was still acting up when I put the car away until the spring.

My fear is that if I don't get an aftermarket replacement for the OEM one now, when I need one, they won't be available.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My "POS" factory cup holder continues to work just fine. Proper operation and periodic maintenance keep it soldering on . . . .
:agree:
Most of us know up front that the part isn't too rugged, so (for those of you who haven't abused your original holder too much) just treat the part with a little respect. Don't cannonball a Big Gulp into it, and, when done, gently fold the bottom of the holder up while slowly pushing it back in the slot.
I can't ever picture paying $100 + for a replacement cup holder; the drink will rest between my legs if mine ever fails.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
:agree:
Most of us know up front that the part isn't too rugged, so (for those of you who haven't abused your original holder too much) just treat the part with a little respect. Don't cannonball a Big Gulp into it, and, when done, gently fold the bottom of the holder up while slowly pushing it back in the slot.
I can't ever picture paying $100 + for a replacement cup holder; the drink will rest between my legs if mine ever fails.
Good points.

I got mine for $25 each and have already given one away to a good cause.:grouphug:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe me I felt the same way about buying a new cup holder; the boss's car whatcha gonna do?

on the cup holder mod front; anyone ever retro fit the holders from the earlier years waterfall panels? I seem to recall my dad's '07 having cup holders there, the '09 doesn't? is there something behind there (the little panel below the storage compartment) now that would prevent installing them?

( I searched and couldn't find this particular mod anywhere) I found the OEM parts listing for earlier years, not that expensive at all

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Yes, it has been done. The mounting hardware is accessed from behind so theoretically the rear plastic panel needs to come out. But I think you could pop out the blank and slide in the cup holder from the front with dome effort

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Yes, it has been done. The mounting hardware is accessed from behind so theoretically the rear plastic panel needs to come out. But I think you could pop out the blank and slide in the cup holder from the front with dome effort
The rear cupholder has an attachment screw at the back, so you'll need to take the waterfall out to have it attached securely. I believe the '09 blanking panel is also attached with a screw at the back, but could be wrong on that.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I installed the double cup holder in my 09, the waterfall stayed in place but the black panel behind the seats came out. I had to make a metal tab to attach the cup unit but for an automatic car, this is one of the best mods for two people who want a Tims Horton coffee!

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
In case you missed it . . .

While I was taking Punisher apart and had the front cupholder in my hand, I decided to lube it and investigate improvements.

What I found was that by doing some judicious work with the Dremel, I got the cupholder working as it was designed. It pops out every time now.

As you can see in the pics, I found wear marks on the bottom side of the articulated arm. I removed some material and smoothed it out some. It works great now.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/index47.html#post1107590

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I installed the double cup holder in my 09, the waterfall stayed in place but the black panel behind the seats came out. I had to make a metal tab to attach the cup unit but for an automatic car, this is one of the best mods for two people who want a Tims Horton coffee!
The "black panel behind the seats" *IS* the waterfall!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts