Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hmm, so they are thinking Evoke will be the name of the Kappa roadster. Ok I guess. Its not offensive, although not all that exciting either. Its better than Ion or Vue. As long as the car looks great and drives great, it doesn't really matter what they name it. But they still should come up with a better naming strategy.

Outlook and Signal are even worse than Evoke. I normally hate the letter/number designations many automakers use, but if this is the best Saturn can do for names they should have stuck with the designations. K240 for the Kappa roadster or something like that (K=Kappa, 240 for the 2.4L Dohc Ecotec).

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO, that name EVOKEs peristalsis if you ask me...

(medical terminology for "vomit" if you didn't know)

It also prEVOKEs me to rear end one if I have to read that on a bumper.

I really hope Saturn rEVOKEs this name.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Here's the USPTO.gov record for the EVOKE name

Word Mark EVOKE
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 78443670
Filing Date June 30, 2004
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Saturn Corporation CORPORATION DELAWARE 400 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 400 Detroit MICHIGAN 482654000
Attorney of Record Timothy G. Gorbatoff
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
naoki said:
IMO, that name EVOKEs peristalsis if you ask me...

(medical terminology for "vomit" if you didn't know)

It also prEVOKEs me to rear end one if I have to read that on a bumper.

I really hope Saturn rEVOKEs this name.
:glol Just don't let it prEVOKE you into rear-ending one while driving a Solstice! :lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, its not really the name that matters anyway, if it reminiscent of any car, like the VX, then you could just rebadge it, hehe.

But really... try saying it...

"hey, what do you drive?"

"oh I drive an Evoke"

besides just not sounding right, I believe it ACTUALLY made me gag a little, I'm not too sure I could own a car if I came close to vomiting each time I said the name...

...does kinda remind me of Ewok though... maybe I'll buy one, weld some giant metal wings on the side and turn it into an Ewok Combat Hanglider like in the movies...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
This name will evoke. Problem is it will mostly be bad jokes and puns on the name. The car will have to be pretty damb cool to shake off that stupid name. GM wasted alot of time and money trademarking it, nobody's going to use it anyhow.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
It appears to me they are getting desparate for names. Maybe they should go to the dictionary and start with "A". Is it Aardvark? not quite sure but better than Evoke IMO :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Not all of the new car names have been bad. The problem is most names end up on cars because some marketing types are looking for something that will attract buyers because of hidden reasons. I suppose Evoke sounded like a great name because they can play off of it in commercials. "The new Saturn roadster Evokes passion. BS like that. Ford decided all its cars needed names beginning with "F"... Freestar, Freestyle, Focus, Five Hundred, F-Mustang... :lol ok, so they will keep Mustang, but its still a rediculous naming strategy with a long list of less than inspiring names.

·
Registered
281 Posts
they should just call it "Larry". Larry is a good name. they could rip off the old cutesy neon commercials....introducing the new Saturn Larry... "hi, im larry. take me for a ride topless."

what? :jester

·
Registered
179 Posts
i'm confused...

is larry asking for you to ride him with the top of the CAR down

or

is he asking you to take off your top when you ride him

or

is he asking someone who is already topless to ride him

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Larry really means any of those three. Saturn is desperate, so Larry will take whoever will come in and ride him. :eek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts