Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 solstice. Great car. One of my employees is looking at a Saturn sky 2007. 47,000 miles. She is going to a deal on Tuesday. The are asking 12,500. Is that a good price. Thanks.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,560 Posts
price depends on may things, condition & model & accessories, color are on the top of the list for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it is in decent shape with only that many miles then I think it is a fair price. Just do your due diligence in checking it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As mentioned above, price depends on many factors. One owner, clean car fax, color, maintenance history, how it looks and drives.... Is it a Red Line? Good luck

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Good price if it is a turbo (called a Redline in the Sky version). If it is not a turbo it better be damn well pampered and clean at that price!

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
1,830 Posts
Agreed your are nearing Sky Redline pricing at that price.
It’s kinda a little high for a non turbo Sky but not high enough to scare away buyers so exactly what I would normally expect on a used car.
Perhaps there is room to haggle?
By point of Reference I purchased a GXP (equivalent to a Sky Redline - I.e the turbo model) with 23,000 miles early last year (right before the used car madness) from Montana for $13,900.
Car was immaculate.
Dealer even threw in a new battery, new tires, oil change and shampooed and detailed the interior and exterior at no cost.
So it’s not a crazy high price, just a little high, depending on what shape it is in.
Miles aren’t everything on these cars. I’ll take a loving and conscientious previous owner over miles to a certain extent…

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
The market for cars right now is totally nuts due to lack of supply

Read the thread on new car owners guide. It lists the key condition items to look at before buying so you can make an informed decision.

$12500 is not an unreasonable asking price. Is she buying from a dealer or a private seller?

In any case, she needs to demand a full inspection of the car by a competent mechanic. we have a check list that can be used that will give a good idea of the cars condition.

Here is a link to this subject with information referenced

Pre Purchase Inspection Checklist? | Pontiac Solstice Forum

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Here is the latest version of the checklist
ItemDescriptionCheckedFindings
1Pop open the key fobs to verify the integrity of the solder joint to the battery retainer
Exterior
1Verify operation of exterior lights
2Inspect body panels for fit, condition
3Check TPMS for function and tire pressure
Engine Bay
1Visually inspect engine bay for condition clean as necessary
2Verify brake fluid level and condition
3Visually inspect condition of all charge tube clamps.
4Check air cleaner filter element condition
5Inspect the PCV valve for proper operation and connection
6Check tightness of exhaust bolts, mounts
7Check tightness of turbo shield
8Inspect turbo oil lines
9Inspect oil fill level and condition (fuel contamination)
10Inspect / service battery terminals
11Inspect / service engine ground terminal
12Check all fluids. Verify mileage / life are within required values
13Inspect forward fuse box and terminals for condition
14Inspect hood / fender latches, lube as necessary
15Inspect electrical cables for condition
16Check top side condition of inner fenders
17Check ECM is properly mounted and condition of connectors
Cockpit and Top
1Check tightness of top when up and locked. Adjust as necessary (left and right)
2Query owner about wind noise. Adjust windows if necessary
3Check condition of door handles, tighten / repair if required
4Lubricate the sliding portion of top mechanism over the doors to preclude pinching.
5Visually inspect the slide plate over the doors for tightness and wear. Replace if necessary
6Check operation of the roof latch, tighten as necessary
7Visually inspect the windshield to top gasket. Looking for tears, holes etc. Lubricate
8Check operation of buttress latches, lubricate / adjust as necessary
9Verify proper operation of convertible top folding mechanism.
10Verify condition of rear window glass and defroster
11Treat all rubber seals with di-electric grease
12Pull the center console and check for cracks. Install support if required.
13Cycle both cupholders and check operation. Lube as necessary.
14Check operation of dash trunk release button.
15Pull the right carpet front and visually inspect BCM area
16Visually inspect BCM fuses.
17Cycle driver's seat height adjustment to verify operation. Lube as necessary.
18Check operation of hood release latch, lube as necessary
19Check dead pedal for condition
20Check door hinges for operation, service as necessary
21Verify condition of door body latches
22For vertical doors verify fit and adjust. Lubricate
Trunk
1Verify trunk latch operation
2Check trunk operation. Verify condition of torsion bars / hinges
3Check / service trunk lid hold down rubber feet.
4Visually inspect trunk pressure release valve
5Visually inspect flap cables for operation and condition. Adjust / Lube as necessary
6Visually inspect trunk cable assembly, connectors etc.
7Visually inspect and lube as necessary buttress latches
8Check trunk light for operation
9Check rear trunk drain area. Clean as necessary.
10Verify operation of trunk forward drains, left and right. Clean as necessary
Underside
1Inspect intercooler drain tube, check for presence of oil, water or contaminates
2Inspect radiator for blockage, clean as necessary.
3Inspect the front bumper and "chin" for scuffing or damage
4Visually inspect inner fenders for rubbing / wear inside rear wheel wells
5Inspect condition of wheel electrical connections
6Check break pads / disks for wear
7Visually inspect shocks for condition / leaks / operation
8Check wheel hub bolts (three per wheel) for proper torque (or if missing)
9Inspect the bottom attachment points for fenders and condition of fenders
10Visually inspect the differential for leaks and condition of mounts
11Verify condition of wheel bearing condition.
12Inspect exhaust system for condition and tightness
13Inspect condition of O2 sensor wiring
14Check / torque wheels
15Inspect tires for condition, wear

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
If she is buying it from a dealer, she should ask for key fluid changes
Coolant has a limited life and should be changed
Brake fluid has a 3-year life and probably has never been changed

If the belts and hoses are factory, at least have the belts (both) changed. It's easy and cheap.

Make sure the condition of the coolant hoses is carefully checked. They tend to fail from the inside out and can look good but when you feel them you can tell they are getting hard and potentially failing internally,

Check the upper coolant hose at the radiator. there is a known issue with the hose coming into contact with the radiator shroud on the bottom where it's not visible that can eventually cause the hose to fail.

Take the vin to a GM dealer and pull a maintenance report. It will tell you every time the car was in a GM dealer, list recalls done etc. The ignition lock and ignition recalls need to be done. The ignition lock can fail when the tumblers break off inside the lock. Also make sure the passenger side presence detector recall has been done.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
In reality mine was the same. sign , pay& drive. I could see it was the right color, it had the interior I wanted, 55000 miles was ok too, It looked like new inside and out.( although ran like **** with no power ,even less than normal, but I can fix that, so no worries, bad sily noids) it was extreamly uncomfortable to sit in & drive...that to is fixable,(I just needed to fine adjust the seat for me, now it's fits like a glove). the price was high, but it was what I wanted -gxp. as for my coupe purchase...I should of looked at it a lot more..befor ordering $6000 in new gm parts.and a few after market ones, like hood&trunk struts, speakers ,tires,rotors,pads etc.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
I have never bought a car without first doing research and a thorough inspection. Asking for future issues. And with the Kappa there are so many things that can be wrong that are a genuine pain in the ass that taking the time to look is a good idea.

Glad you had such a good experience by doing no research or inspection. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
on my coupe I was kinda hoping the motor was dead...but when it started,and oh so quiet,no smoke...there was a feeling of relief&disapointment. after a life time of building cars, some from scratch or just half a body., with the coupe was kinda in a mood for a engine swap. but that aint gonna happen and thats ok too. on my 06 I knew there was a issue with it being so sluggish and the rearend clunk from massive back lash, neither bothered me.I can fix that. I did see the car fox before I flew down to buy the car.they to me are almost useless but does tell something.they are a selling tool for the dealers.but they can be good for buyers too if there are any "red flags".just remember not everything is reported, so many things including axeadents many not be on a car fox report.as well as services preformed by some shops or individuals. when you havent a clue what to look for or even know what your looking at inspecting a car your self means squat. just look at all the shops & "mechanics" that dont have a clue.Ive seen machine shops eff up engines worse than they were when they were pulled out. inspections are as good as the inspector.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
When I bought mine I didn't even get a test drive. It was Just before Christmas in Wisconsin and the roads had just been salted. The seller told me that if I wanted to drive it I had to buy it. I thought that a car with under 14k on the clock that looked as clean as it did should be a good bet. The owner seemed honest enough. If I were the seller I wouldn't anybody go for a test drive on slushy streets either. The car was what I was looking for, the color was good, mileage was the lowest I had seen and the price was right. So I took a leap. Everything turned out well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just paid 11800 for an 08 saturn sky redline se carbon FLASH. 42000 miles. Mine needs tires, top is wearing. These cars are going to start to bring BIG MONEY! Every car I have owned is big bucks today.. 55 nomad, 69 Gto, olds 442 convertible, 79 trans am... I know how to pick future high valued cars. It will go like this 1. 2010 solstice coupe, 2. Saturn sky redlines , solstice gxp, sky vase, solstice base. Some colors will bring more than others. Rare colors, then black, red, yellow......a coupe at mecum just went for 86500!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts