Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Saturn Kappa news...looks like Jan will be the unveiling. I like the mid-2005 sentence for the Solstice. :thumbs

Seems like more and more sources are pointing to mid-2005 launch but nothing "official" yet.

I'll paste in whole article below since they force you to register :mad

Published September 29, 2004

Saturn will use next year's auto-show circuit to let the public see at least two of a trio of models to expand its portfolio starting in 2006.

The look into Saturn's future starts with the Detroit show in January, Saturn general manager Jill Lajdziak told us during a visit here.

But she wouldn't say which two models will be shown there and in Chicago.

Lajdziak said the three new vehicles will be in market segments Saturn is absent from and represents the beginning of its revitalization program.

As reported, first up in early calendar '06 will be a two-seat roadster built on the same platform as the Pontiac Solstice that arrives in mid-'05 as an '06 model.

It will be followed a few months later by a new midsize sedan built off the platform shared by the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx and Pontiac G6.

Finally, a few months after that a midsize sport-utility vehicle larger than the Vue will arrive. Lajdziak won't say whether the sport-ute will be front-, rear- or all-wheel-drive or what vehicles will share the platform.

Saturn could use a revitalization, considering sales in the first eight months of this year were down 23 percent, to 153,684 units.

The decline can be attributed, in part, to the fact Saturn stopped building its midsize L300 sedan in June.

But it's also obvious that Saturn could use a raft of new models to attract consumer attention.

Saturn now offers the Ion sedan and coupe and Vue sport-ute. In a few weeks, it will add the Relay, which looks like an SUV but has three rows of seats and sliding side doors like a minivan.

Smaller Nissan coming: Nissan says that starting in 2007 it will offer at least one car in the U.S. smaller than its compact Sentra.

Nissan said the car will cater to price-conscious buyers and free Sentra to move more upscale. That's the same approach taken by Chevrolet in replacing the Cavalier with a larger Cobalt for '05 after the subcompact Aveo arrived from its Daewoo operations in South Korea to hold down the entry-level market.

Nissan spokesman Fred Standish wouldn't provide specifics, other than it will be a "Scion size" machine, a reference to the new subcompact offerings from Toyota.

And he wouldn't say whether there would be a gas or gas/electric hybrid.

Nissan now sells the mini Cube and March in Japan. Standish said the next generation of Cube will be a global vehicle that could be sold in the U.S. as well as Japan and Europe.

While Cube is powered by a tiny engine--less than 1 liter--any U.S. offering would sport a bigger power plant.

Oops: Belated birthday greetings to David Dunbar Buick, founder of Buick Motor Co. (1903), which became a unit of General Motors (1908), who turned 150 on Sept. 17.

Ride and drives: The number of events at which consumers can test drive automakers' '05 products in the Chicago area is growing.

General Motors Auto Show in Motion will be held from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sept. 30-Oct. 3 at Arlington International Racecourse. Visit AutoShowInMotion.com.

Jeep will sponsor a Jeep 101 on-road/off-road event from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 16-17 at the Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet. Call 800-789-JEEP and press 1 or visit Jeep.com.

And Mercedes-Benz will hold its Love Mercedes Tour offering the chance to drive its '05 model line from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 16-17 at Arlington Park. Visit LoveMercedesTour.com.
Source link (requires registering):
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-0409290222sep29,1,5072763.column?coll=chi-homepagebiz-utl

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
As I think we have been expecting, we will see Saturn’s new roadster at the Detroit Auto Show. I cannot imagine they would make a big deal about showing off 2 new products in January, and then only show up with an SUV and a family sedan. Even if those are likely to be good vehicles (although the way GM has been going, the SUV could be a rebadged Trailblazer, or a platform mate to the Rondezvous to pick up the slack from the dead Aztek) the roadster is definitely the attention getter of the three! Hmm, I may have to make a trip to Detroit this January for the second straight year!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Damn Saturn, making me wait to see what they're going to offer. Better hurry up and show me before I decide to go with the Solstice instead :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
considering sales in the first eight months of this year were down 23 percent, to 153,684 units. The decline can be attributed, in part, to the fact Saturn stopped building its midsize L300 sedan in June.
does that statement strike anyone else as odd? i would think that would have to play a small part.[/B]

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That’s an interesting sketch, although it doesn’t really reveal a whole lot. We would need to see something from either the front or ¾ front view to get a good handle on what it looked like! Just a few more months, we all can hang in there!!

Bizz said:
does that statement strike anyone else as odd? i would think that would have to play a small part.[/B]
It is a somewhat odd statement, but not totally out of line. Chances are Saturn stopped marketing the car knowing they would be discontinuing production in June. With any lame duck vehicle, usually last year sales are way below what they normally are. In part because people do not want a lame duck vehicle, but also because the company stops all marketing to use that money on other vehicles that will remain in production. Plus with production stopped, people who might buy will find it more difficult to locate a car equipped to their liking, and may end up having to buy something else. Although the statement sounds a little misleading, it is for the most part true.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
csjrishere said:
I got this off of gminsidenews nothing big but some sort of sketch...look far right of the guy sitting...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8149

I think the dude in the picture is the "designer" of the original Solstice. If I'm right, his name is Franz Von Holzhausen.

Interesting.

Suspect the Saturn ??? will just be a different styled Solstice? Maybe they've got a kool name for it.

I'm guessing maybe more option content standard, no $20,000 base price limit like Lutz threw down, and prolly the same or similar engine/trans combos?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Suspect the Saturn ??? will just be a different styled Solstice? Maybe they've got a kool name for it.

I'm guessing maybe more option content standard, no $20,000 base price limit like Lutz threw down, and prolly the same or similar engine/trans combos?
Given that they seem to be alluding to a release quite shortly after Solstice, you could be very right. They may be mostly the same car, but different sheetmetal and interior. I hope not. I'm not a big "badge engineering" fan. I have hopes that GM has learned something about the pit falls of this stratagy, and has engineered the Kappa platform to have greater flexibility. I'd like that each Kappa be very different. However I've been dreaming about a total make over in Detroit for decades, why should now be any different? At least it looks like they will have totaly different sheetmetal, and that's a big plus! :thumbs

·
Registered
281 Posts
It is a somewhat odd statement, but not totally out of line.
no, not totally out of line, just odd. using as example the cancellation of a car that didnt sell well at all in the first place.

They may be mostly the same car, but different sheetmetal and interior. I hope not. I'm not a big "badge engineering" fan.
IMO, thats not BE. :smile if the vehicles look similar, like Chevy and GMC trucks or the sable/taurus, then i'd say yeah. but if the appearance of the vehicles is quite different, like the w-bodies, then i'd have to say nay.

i dont consider the 350Z and G35 coupe as BE'd. iirc, even the FX35 shares chassis and powertrain with the two.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'd be perfectly happy personally if they took the Solstice and just put the VX Lightning skin on it. I love me some Lightning styling. Especially if they use that angular exhaust hinted at in that image. Like the Acura TL's. I really like the Solstice interior though. I think it's mainly that handle in the console for the passenger seat. I can just imagine a friend riding along on a 'spirited' drive holding on to both 'oh ****' handles going 'oh ****.' :D

I'm just hoping Saturn started their Kappa development using a higher output engine then the Solstice. Because if the Saturn is supposed to be more upscale/expensive I'm not seeing anything yet besides styling that would make me pay more money. If the only difference is the skin, and they ask $25k instead of $20k base, I'm going to have a very hard time justifying an extra $5k for exterior appearance. Now say theres the Supercharged 2.0L engine in it for $25k, or some other higher output engine, I'd be happy to fork over $25k base. I'd even be happy with a performance tuned 2.4L VVT ECOTEC. Like remapped ECU, perfomance intake, headers, exhaust, etc. If they hit 190 HP or even just 180 HP would be great. Lotus did that with the 2ZZ engine from the Celica GT-S they put in the federalized Lotus Elise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts