Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a car hauler (black one on the top over the truck cab, and a green one right behind the black one) heading east on M-59 at 1 pm this afternoon. They both had window stickers on them, but as I was heading west on M-59 I could not tell if they were still part of the original test vehicles. The questions that came to mind were: if GM is shut down for the two week change over, where did they come from? Why were they heading east on M-59 (about three miles north of the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, and about 6 miles east) and where were they going? The car hauler was a yellow one, and GM usually uses an orange one to carry prototypes and test vehicles between facilities. Does this mean that not all of GM is shut down for these two weeks? Did production start and were they moved into Michigan over the Holiday weekend? :willy:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm sure someone will clarify, but does all of GM shut down, or just the production side?

I have the feeling that if some testing/engineering staff working during the "shutdown" meant that Solstice production could safely start a week earlier, they WOULD be working.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know, this first week of shutdown everyone is off, including engineering and testing people. The second week was always in question in the engineering areas, depending upon which program was hot and needed support.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The obvious answer is the cars were going from the Milford Proving Grounds to the Tech Center in Warren.

:skep: However...

Other than some maintenance and utility operations - the Proving Grounds have shut down in past years. I would assume the same thing happens at the Tech Center in Warren.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I worked for Generous Motors the 2wks off was the whole kit and kabootle
unless you were scheduled to work or volunteered your service.It's a union thing
with the company.With the Solstice so close to production the testing goes on despite the shutdown,I would assume. :grouphug: :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SATCH said:
When I worked for Generous Motors the 2wks off was the whole kit and kabootle
unless you were scheduled to work or volunteered your service.It's a union thing
with the company.With the Solstice so close to production the testing goes on despite the shutdown,I would assume. :grouphug: :cool:
As Satch said, these might be people who volunteered to work on the car during the time off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts