Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw it down the road from my house. I live right around the corner from the GM plant in DE. IIRC they will be building the Solstice and the new Saturn coupe at that plant.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Up. You'd have to be on crack to drive in this cold weather with the top down.
I hope you have a photgraphic memory, because we're going to quiz the crap out of you about it :D

Did it had little "wings" (butresses) extruding from the top to attach to the trunk?

Mentioning that, I was thinking back about the Orlando Auto Show Solstice, and realised those little silver attachment points were solid metal/plastic on the car I saw. So either they were just non-functional or just placement parts for the holes that were there that might not be needed anymore.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Up. You'd have to be on crack to drive in this cold weather with the top down.
If you can remember, please tell us any details about the top that you saw. How it attaches to the declid, how it looks, does it have butress wings, how does the rear window fit in (flush with the back or recessed behind the butresses) etc etc, and finally, how does the top look with the rest of the car? Does it fit in with the overall styling, look bad?

Anything would be awesome! It is the one item on the car we know little about! GM has been very hush about the top!

:lurk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brentil said:
I hope you have a photgraphic memory, because we're going to quiz the crap out of you about it :D

Did it had little "wings" (butresses) extruding from the top to attach to the trunk?
Unfortunately, I only saw the side and front of the Solstice so I didn't see any wings. But from what I saw it looked great. The front, as well as it's stance, looked very aggressive on the road. I'm sure I'll see it again (this was actually my second sighting). I'll see if my uncle or someone else can get me in for a sneak peak.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Unfortunately, I only saw the side and front of the Solstice so I didn't see any wings. But from what I saw it looked great. The front, as well as it's stance, looked very aggressive on the road. I'm sure I'll see it again (this was actually my second sighting). I'll see if my uncle or someone else can get me in for a sneak peak.
If the top was up and you still thought it looked great, then I think we have reason to be confident that they are not screwing up the appearance anyway. That alone is good news! Thanks, and keep your eyes peeled! :thumbs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I saw, the top flowed pretty well with the car. It was a black Solstice with a black top. So making out details about the top while driving was a little complicated. But I'll keep a lookout for it again. The GM plant is right around the corner from my house so I'm sure I'll see it a few more times.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you saw it from the side then you would have seen enough to know if the wings were there or not. The wings are little support structures that come back from the roof, they make a triangle between the roof window, trunk, and the support beam that stick out over the back of the trunk.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I can't wait to get the opportunity to see this car on the road....and also look foward to final production car on the show circuit.

Must have been a cool experience..

Thanks for sharing

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
It was coming towards me on the other side of the road. So I really can't remember if wings were there or not. Guess you guys have been pondering this stuff for awhile, huh?

Definately an understatement! :jester It is probably the one aspect of the car we know just about nothing about, and are dying to find out (other than how it actually drives). It has been our quest to scrounge details! :yesnod

Either way, we are hoping for answers at the NAIAS!

·
Registered
91 Posts
License Plate

Hey, did it have a license plate in front? If yes, how did it look? Did it cover the grills?

This is my second reservation about the Solstice. The first one is lack of trunk space. This, however, would probably be my concern regardless of who makes the roadster. Neither will keep me from buying the best looking roadster out there............

·
Registered
284 Posts
If there are indeed wings on the top I would have to assume that it is because of sealing functions of a convertible top to the body. If you look at the operation of the Corvette C5 top, there is alot more area to seal against than what appears to be available on the Solstice. The C5 top uses pressure to give a very good seal against wind noise and water intrusion (even when using a pressure washer). I would assume the Solstice top operation is the same as the C5, but because the rear deck appears to be alot shorter than the C5 it needs the wings to add a larger footprint to the sealing surface (and on a flatter surface than going across the width of the rear deck). Also, again using the C5 as a reference, I think the only way to access the small trunk with the top up would be to unlatch the top partially so that the rear of the top (rear window, wings, etc) folds up to allow opening of the trunk. If this is the case, than you would not want to use the trunk in rainy or snowy weather.
On another note, has anyone noticed the MP3 plug in the radio in the press release photos? It's below and to the right of the "dial" faceplate - will an I-Pod be an option?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts