Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I was, minding my own business, sitting on a park bench watching the people go by, and this guy points at me and asks "Where did you get that hat?" of course he was referring to my special solstice hat from the Detroit party. And I replied---it comes with the car!! Then he proceeded to tell me that he had one (the car, not the hat) but he sold it already. This was Mr. VIN #65 standing right in front of me and he had sold it on e-bay right after he got it. Said he bought it just to turn around and sell it to make a profit. told him we were buying ours just because we love the car and would never consider selling it. And as he walked away with a smug grin on his face his wife turned and said---I would have kept it! Interesting enough, he said he kept the hat. go figure.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been observing the EBAY Solstices. One whose MSRP was $21,550
sold just a few minutes ago for $27,100, with 16 bidders. All of them are being sold for at least $4,000 over list. There are still 4 or 5 being auctioned.
As a note, there is a single 2006 Miata, with MSRP for $24,000 that
is being offered by a dealer for that amount as a new car. There have not been any bidders in the first few days. Miata is getting clobbered.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jerry Valley said:
...he said he kept the hat. go figure.
Yeah - he probably wants to see if he can make a profit on selling that too!
:brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil:

·
4,592 Posts
Jerry Valley said:
Here I was, minding my own business, sitting on a park bench watching the people go by, and this guy points at me and asks "Where did you get that hat?" of course he was referring to my special solstice hat from the Detroit party. And I replied---it comes with the car!! Then he proceeded to tell me that he had one (the car, not the hat) but he sold it already. This was Mr. VIN #65 standing right in front of me and he had sold it on e-bay right after he got it. Said he bought it just to turn around and sell it to make a profit. told him we were buying ours just because we love the car and would never consider selling it. And as he walked away with a smug grin on his face his wife turned and said---I would have kept it! Interesting enough, he said he kept the hat. go figure.
Good thing I didn't say my name when I met Jerry Valley. I will keep the hat :devil: :lol:

J/K :lol:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
stang said:
Who brags about flipping a car? :nonod:
Only Mr. Pid, but his friends call him Stu. :lol:

·
Registered
905 Posts
That's not fair for the rest of us who actually want to enjoy our cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wonder if he is going to put on e-bay the box set of pictures? I sure he gave them to the person buying the car for nothing!

·
Registered
265 Posts
shrug.. know what. at least the sol is going to someone who's likely to keep it.. ok, this guy's a bit a doink but no cars were harmed during the "flip" (at least i hope not).

he's not much worse than a dealer selling for over list and someone willing to pay for it.

in a few years he might look back and think "well i could be driving one of those, but i sold it. boy am i stupid."

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, and he has to live with his wife who will keep telling him---"see,I told you we should have never sold that car!" :lol:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Jerry Valley said:
yeah, and he has to live with his wife who will keep telling him---"see,I told you we should have never sold that car!" :lol:
See there is justice! :lol:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Jerry Valley said:
And as he walked away with a smug grin on his face his wife turned and said---I would have kept it!
Ah, the curse of the nagging wife :devil: has a more viscious form of punishment ever been devised?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
MAKsys said:
Ah, the curse of the nagging wife :devil: has a more viscious form of punishment ever been devised?
Having the mom-in-law move in as well. :lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Of course now he " could " take the profit turn it around and buy the turbo when they come out!

·
Registered
192 Posts
What's the big deal? He made a nice profit, taking advantage of the enthusiasm for a new model. As for Mazda getting clobbered, totally unfair comparison. Go back to 1989 when it was a new model and you would have seen lots of way-over-MSRP sales. I think Mazda's done OK with over 700,000 models sold in less than 15 years.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
robrecht said:
What's the big deal? He made a nice profit, taking advantage of the enthusiasm for a new model. As for Mazda getting clobbered, totally unfair comparison. Go back to 1989 when it was a new model and you would have seen lots of way-over-MSRP sales. I think Mazda's done OK with over 700,000 models sold in less than 15 years.
In a way the MX-5 is a new model. It has been completely redesigned..so basically it has nothing in common with old Miata. They are saying they have dropped the Miata name... even though they use it in their ads, it does not say Miata anywhere on the car...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Adrenaline said:
That's not fair for the rest of us who actually want to enjoy our cars.
why is it not fair? your not the one who wanted to pay so much for it. some people picked up on the fact that this is a hot car, and made an investment, whats so wrong with that? i would do it, and than turn around and buy a better one with the profits. some people want one so bad that they will pay the extra $4000. you dont want to do that and thats fine, but thats why you dont have one yet. im doing the same thing, i wont buy one at any markup. if im presented with one im walking away and buying later. i, like you, have patience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts