Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the owners manual and popping open the trunk for the first time I was schocked with the power of the opening and the tie down pins that hold the side "wings" of the convertible to the decklid. I really thought I screwed something up and my heart just sank... Thank goodness all is well, so as a side note when you pop your trunk for the first time be prepared for a powerful opening, it's normal as far as I can see.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you want to scare someone who's never seen you put the top down let them get in the car first then pop the AFBTSs. It'll slap right behind their head and make em jump good. :D

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Or, if you come out of a store (like home depot.... no, just kidding... like a grocery store or after eating dinner at a restaurant) and notice six people standing around, oggling the Solstice, looking up REALLY close, just get within about 50 feet (so you can hear them) and THEN pop the trunk... :lol:

You'll see six people jump, at least two of them will exclaim with profanity, and prolly one of them needs a roll of toilet paper and some new underwear :glol: :)

Not that I'd do that, mind you. Well, at least not that I'd do that without someone suggesting it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holy cow! Same with me! A salesman at the dealership demonstrated the top operation to me. I went in with the expectation that the pins would pop up to release and remain in their holes while slightly elevated and then you would manually lift them up and out. Not so! Was I surprised! Press the button on the fob and, BANG, they come flying out like rockets! :eek: It's truly a unique thing to see at first, at least for me.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
solsticeman said:
Or, if you come out of a store (like home depot.... no, just kidding... like a grocery store or after eating dinner at a restaurant) and notice six people standing around, oggling the Solstice, looking up REALLY close, just get within about 50 feet (so you can hear them) and THEN pop the trunk... :lol:

You'll see six people jump, at least two of them will exclaim with profanity, and prolly one of them needs a roll of toilet paper and some new underwear :glol: :)

Not that I'd do that, mind you. Well, at least not that I'd do that without someone suggesting it...
I would like to see the looks on some of their faces ;) :lol:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
solsticeman said:

Will do.

·
Registered
976 Posts
One of the salesguys at the ride and drive popped the trunk on the road drive car, and not only got chewed out by the instructor, but hurt his hand pretty good. He was mumbling two hours later that it was very unsafe.

Be careful, cause you can hurt your hand with that "flying buttress"! Or your friends face, if he is looking really close at the line on the car.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am at a loss trying to picture this "unsafe operation". Does anyone have a series or pics or a movie they could host on putfile.com?

So whenever you open the trunk with the top down you risk a hand injury?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was at a dealership yesterday checking out the Sol on the showroom floor and the smart ass salesman popped the wings while I was sitting inside. Scared the s**t out of me. But the fact that there was no window sticker and they were trying to get 32K scared me even more. I left in disgust. I will wait for my original order at MSRP to arrive next year, thank you. ;)

At a different dealership of course.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The buteress 'snap' back against the top, if your hand is in the way it could give you a hell of a bruise, if not more damage

·
Registered
976 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
I am at a loss trying to picture this "unsafe operation". Does anyone have a series or pics or a movie they could host on putfile.com?

I think you missunderstood. The buttresses are the little wings that attach to the rear decklid when the top is UP. So when you go to put the top down, you realease the buttresses, and they flip up really quick. If you have you hand resting on the back of the top, it will catch your are.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
TOY4TWO said:

http://solstice.inner-ninja.com/users/Excelsior/

Ex made the video when he first got his car SOO long ago.

·
5,600 Posts
Arrowhead said:
Not so! Was I surprised! Press the button on the fob and, BANG, they come flying out like rockets! :eek: It's truly a unique thing to see at first, at least for me.
Maybe we can store this energy and use it to power the automatic top... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
cadillacricket said:
I think you missunderstood. The buttresses are the little wings that attach to the rear decklid when the top is UP. So when you go to put the top down, you realease the buttresses, and they flip up really quick. If you have you hand resting on the back of the top, it will catch your are.
OR when you want to access the trunk. AFBT's up, trunk open. Trunk shut, 1 AFBT down, 2 AFBT down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts