Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I start up in the garage in the morning, the headlights come on. I back out, wait for the door to close, and drive away. Now when I leave, it's daylight. Not just light enough to see, but BRIGHT sunshine. Couple of streets I'm driving into the sun and could use some welders goggles. But the auto lights are still on. I drive all the way in to work (short drive, about 15 minutes give or take) and they stay on the entire way. Leaving in the afternoon, car is in the shade so when I start up, the headlights come on. But after pulling out of the parking space, the headlights shut off before I even make it out of the parking lot.

So how does the sensor 'see' the light? Would a fairly low azimuth (early morning) not be 'seen' by the sensor? Or is this thing just psycho?

·
Registered
263 Posts
It could be the photo sensor, they do fail from time to time. I would test it my covering it and uncovering it to see how the lights react.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So when I start up in the garage in the morning, the headlights come on. I back out, wait for the door to close, and drive away. Now when I leave, it's daylight. Not just light enough to see, but BRIGHT sunshine. Couple of streets I'm driving into the sun and could use some welders goggles. But the auto lights are still on. I drive all the way in to work (short drive, about 15 minutes give or take) and they stay on the entire way. Leaving in the afternoon, car is in the shade so when I start up, the headlights come on. But after pulling out of the parking space, the headlights shut off before I even make it out of the parking lot.

So how does the sensor 'see' the light? Would a fairly low azimuth (early morning) not be 'seen' by the sensor? Or is this thing just psycho?
For what it's worth, my 2009 GXP acts exactly the same as you describe above.

In answer to chickenwire's response, at least in my case it is the actual headlights on, not the DRLs. I say this because the DIC display and radio dial lights are in the dim "night time" mode and become much brighter when I disable the "auto" headlight feature.

I think your suggestion of low azimuth sun in the morning combined with the geometry of the car/position of the sensor may be close to the truth.

It is an interesting issue begging a definitive answer, but I have just written it off as one of the (many) quirks of our cars. :devil:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I have the same issue....you guys are "normal".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts