Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not been a good couple of weeks for Mysti. A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that a ladder fell on my her and dented the hood. Maybe could've been fixed with paintless dent repair. Maybe not. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. But . . .

Yesterday morning on the way to Cars & Coffee, still dark, I thought I'd get off the freeway and go to my bank's ATM machine. The offramp makes a fairly tight blind right around a hill. As I come around the bend, there sits squarely in front of me, at 90 degrees to the road, totally blocking the road is a dark gray Toyota Corolla. No escape. ABS fully engaged. Screeeech! Wham!!! I plowed into the right rear quarter panel.

Unbelievably, apparently only minimal visual damage to Mysti's front facia. Didn't even break the grille as far as I can tell without having to remove the bra. Not a chance to do that yet. But my custom bra was ripped. I will have her checked out at a body shop. I'm concerned that the facia and front assembly may have flexed and damaged the intercooler or other assemblies up front. I do have a new, or at least different, exhaust system-related rattle since the collision. The Toyota had some damage to the quarter panel and rear door.

The Toyota's occupants were three undocumented Mexican young women, none of whom spoke any English. They couldn't explain to me why or how they got to be parked crossways in the road. Luckily, nobody was injured. The driver had no license. She did provide a certificate of insurance from Dairyland Auto of Viking Insurance Company of Wisconsin. I Googled them. They appear to be a real company - we'll see.

So, it looks like it's time for some body work and new paint. Gonna remove the Pontiac arrowhead from the nose.

Maybe I should rethink the opportunity to trade my GXP straight across for the 2012 2SS Camaro.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I was one of the ones that suggested the trade, it seems to me you wanted to do it but the folks here on the forum change your mind.
I think after this incident you are now more committed to go ahead with the trade.
Glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ouch. glad to see your alrite.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're ok. Undocumented aliens with legit insurance? Hmmmm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Thank goodness you're OK!!!

BTDT <close encounters) A normal Solstice Exit, tight blind right, and there coming straight at me was a Honda Accord going the wrong way on the exit ramp. Flicked the wheel to the left, crammed on the brakes, mashed the 'upgraded' horn system and was able to dodge the car. :brentil:

Told the wife after, "was fortunate to have good tires and upgrades to the suspension." :thumbs:

They are out there, be careful and have a great Holiday!! :party:

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad to hear that you are okay; hoping there is minimal damage to the Sol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. I did the same thing one morning. I came around a blind curve doing the speed limit (45mph) and stopped in my lane was a car (legally stopped for a school bus)I rear-ended (I've gotten hit harder on the bumper cars at 6 Flags). It was the father of one of the local deputies. I got a ticket for "too fast for conditions" on a clear bright day(plus getting sued for $200,000-the insurance company ended up paying about $10,000). The DA said that since I couldn't see around the corner, I should have slowed down (the jury bought it after deliberating an hour-I represented myself and ended up paying $70 in fines). I'd traveled that route for over 2 years without ever having to stop for the bus. I trust you'll come out better than I did. Oh, I was one of the ones that said to go for the Camaro.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Undocumented, sideways for no legitimate reason. Hope your insurance company doesn't get screwed.

Glad you're okay. Always cringe to hear of a Kappa crunch, but the steel and plastic can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
glad you're OK, CD! Could have been so much worse. Saw a SKY just after it got crunched up on I40 today...passenger compartment looked OK, but no one standing around and no ambulance or tow truck. Just the police, and one mile of backup. Yellow Sky with a black top, I could not see the license plate.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks every one for your well wishes. A visual inspection shows the only damage from the collision seems to be a rip in my bra. (No wisea** coments please.) I have scheduled a more thorough inspection Tuesday morning. I am expecting no damage will be found. My insurance agent called me this morning to tell me that the police report said I had no culpability and the other driver was 100% responsible.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks every one for your well wishes. A visual inspection shows the only damage from the collision seems to be a rip in my bra. (No wisea** coments please.) I have scheduled a more thorough inspection Tuesday morning. I am expecting no damage will be found. My insurance agent called me this morning to tell me that the police report said I had no culpability and the other driver was 100% responsible.
nice to hear that no damage occured on the surface other than the tear, hope it goes well carpe..

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Carpe Diem. That is great.
Now reflect on your good luck and get the Camaro.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Because he express quite a bit of interested on it. Also he mentioned having troubles at his age going in an out of the Solstice.
Also beauty is on the eye of the beholder.............

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the bra off today and took her to a body shop for an assessment and estimate. Need new front facia and right side grilles. Plus $260 to remove the dents in the hood from the fallen ladder. I'm kinda depressed. If she doesn't come back in new condition, I'm prolly gonna move on the Camero offer. If I do that, I'll have to miss 2013 NASSM which I was/am looking forward to, but the total lack of responsiveness from Martin and the Phoenix is causing me to believe that if there is a 2013 NASSM, it likely won't be worth the day's drive to get there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am planning on going to Flagstaff regardless what Martin does, I think we have enough kappas now in L.A and O.c to get a decent caravan going.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Would not you say is more about the people you have meat than the car you may be driving?.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would not you say is more about the people you have meat than the car you may be driving?.
No, I think it's both - I enjoy the people and the car allows me admission to into the group.
But I'm thinking it would be a bit strange if I were to show up at a NASSM meet in a Chevy.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
But I'm thinking it would be a bit strange if I were to show up at a NASSM meet in a Chevy.
Especially if you want to keep up on the twisties. ;) Glad you are okay. It sounds like you are like I am about my car. I love it so much that it hurts when it's dirty, or has another battle scar. Once it's fixed, it will be all good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts